: Worst States...

Playdrv4me
05-17-04, 01:20 PM
OK this is not hating on anyones personal love affair with their state, I agree we each have opinions about what sucks and whats great, but what do you think are the best and worst states in the union? Use whatever combination of criteria you want. I am a person who is greatly influenced by that which surrounds me, so where I live is quite important.

Worst by far in my book is the one I currently live in. KANSAS.

I can find no redeeming qualities to this place, my city, Wichita is in the middle of nowhere so I have to go pretty far in any direction to find a nice body of water or the ocean or Gulf. Theres seeminlgy nothing around but miles and miles of vegetation and cows and farms. Vehicle taxes here are REDICULOUS, my BMW this year would have been 430.00 for yearly registration, my STS was like 500!! And they do it based on super-inflated retail values. All of this and they still close the tag offices ONE HOUR early now because they cant afford to pay the overtime for the poor tag office workers... rediculous, real appreciation for their hard work. Kansas has the strictest DUI laws I know (doesnt much matter to me since I dont drink) and to top it all off, Winters here are snowy and cold, and summers are no COOLER than my home state of Texas. They are having lots of trouble keeping good schools open, and the frieken place is always POOR. Think about it, even the city which has our namesake, has the greater part in MISSOURI!! The only things I can think of that sort of helps is housing costs and housing taxes are cheaper here, and we should all be thankful of the farmers who make their lives out of the land in these places. This place is pretty bad, but I have lived here a few years because of family and work. Thankfully thats over now and im moving back to my number 1 fave state which is:

TEXAS.
Texas to me wins because it is not the hands down winner in any one area, but everything you need or want is really here, its really a one-stop shop as far as states go. You love big cities? Texas has them, you love small town America with the corner store everyone knows? Texas has that. The gulf coast is not far from any major city, theres no rediculous vehicle taxes (though there is state inspection), housing costs vary greatly from city to city, there is BEAUTIFUL views and landscape throughout almost every corner Texas, there is LOTS of work here, the climate is definitely bearable for those who can stand heat and overall its just a terrific place to live, ill back in San Antonio in June and really looking forward to it.

Other bad ones I can think of off the top of my head:
Nebraska,Idaho and ARKANSAS. I dont know MUCH about them so Im sure I can be easily proven wrong on at least Idaho. I used to think Kentucky was pretty bad but Kentucky has some of the most beautiful Rocky countryside and landscape out there.

Other favorites are:
California (by a SMALL amount, theres lots of things to hate about California!), Florida (duh), Wyoming, Arizona, Georgia, Washington. I like some of the eastern seaboard too, but the weather would get to me after awhile.

Ok, my rant is done... :p

tru504187211
05-17-04, 01:43 PM
Well, one of my weirder professors used to have the corniest jokes and he asked the class a bunch of times..."Have any of you been to North Dakota?", and when nobody raised their hands he'd just be like "It's settled, North Dakota actually does not exist!" I would always just cringe at his jokes... Worst state in my head? - Nebraska because of the endless fields or Illinois because driving south through the state seemed to take weeks!

RBraczyk
05-17-04, 02:10 PM
Utah sucks. Ask maddox. Will post link later.

Playdrv4me
05-17-04, 02:49 PM
Well, one of my weirder professors used to have the corniest jokes and he asked the class a bunch of times..."Have any of you been to North Dakota?", and when nobody raised their hands he'd just be like "It's settled, North Dakota actually does not exist!" I would always just cringe at his jokes... Worst state in my head? - Nebraska because of the endless fields or Illinois because driving south through the state seemed to take weeks!

LOL corny joke but ohhh soo true. Fargo anyone?

Nebraska, Kansas and Illinois are torture to drive through in the winter cause of all the dead vegetation, it just looks like everything went and died.

Dead Sled
05-17-04, 03:56 PM
Worst Peoples Republic of California and North California (Oregon) Bar None

high on the list Missouri and most of the North East

best Arizona Class 3 Wepons Permit anyone?

Blackout
05-17-04, 05:11 PM
New Jersey sucks. I mean they thought of the circle. Need I say more?

Chuck C
05-17-04, 07:25 PM
Unhappiness

inmycadillac
05-17-04, 10:44 PM
LOL corny joke but ohhh soo true. Fargo anyone?

Nebraska, Kansas and Illinois are torture to drive through in the winter cause of all the dead vegetation, it just looks like everything went and died.

I resent the above comment about Fargo...
it ain't that bad...about 420 days ago i traded in my horse and buggy for a cadillac and just recently i hurrd of this thang called a commpewter and i traded some furs for it...LOL

BTW, the worst state is confusion...or Utah:D

Jesda
05-18-04, 01:38 AM
Utah.. Salt Lake City drivers ARE TOTAL JERKS

Im surprised Kansas doesnt do tags and titles and such by mail like Missouri. Other than having to make a quick stop at a local vehicle license place to get forms, its mostly painless. I write a check, and my plates or stickers come back a week or two later. Well, assuming I did the emissions and safety inspections.

Playdrv4me
05-18-04, 04:17 AM
Utah.. Salt Lake City drivers ARE TOTAL JERKS

Im surprised Kansas doesnt do tags and titles and such by mail like Missouri. Other than having to make a quick stop at a local vehicle license place to get forms, its mostly painless. I write a check, and my plates or stickers come back a week or two later. Well, assuming I did the emissions and safety inspections.

LOL, Kansas DOES have it that way, but anytime you buy a NEW vehicle (I change vehicles pretty frequently), you have to go down to the tag office regardless. In fact, I think for renewal you can even do it online now which is cool. That still leaves the issue of the cost... :annoyed:

RBraczyk
05-18-04, 09:21 AM

high on the list Missouri and most of the North East

best Arizona Class 3 Wepons Permit anyone?
Hey man, don't rag on New Hampshire, we don't have any laws up here. I don't think drunk driving is even an issue up north. Plus so many people have class 3 firearm permits up here too.

S10xGN
05-18-04, 01:42 PM
Don't know about worst, but here's my best:

Texas! (need I say more) :worship:
Florida
Colorado
and for some (unkown) reason - Mississippi

Dead Sled
05-18-04, 02:25 PM
Hey man, don't rag on New Hampshire, we don't have any laws up here. I don't think drunk driving is even an issue up north. Plus so many people have class 3 firearm permits up here too.

thats why i said most. NH is a prfetty good place. :coolgleam

now for me to get out of IOWA :p

RBraczyk
05-18-04, 02:33 PM
Yall have corn out there?

juiceE
05-18-04, 02:36 PM

....IS IT REALLY "REPUBLIC OF CALIFORNIA" NOW?:peeking:

Dead Sled
05-18-04, 03:04 PM
Yall have corn out there?

:D not yet

93ElDoG
05-18-04, 07:45 PM
California & Oregon worst? What you been smoking on player?

California has got to be hands down the best. We've got absolutley everything you could want, the all-in-one state just like Playdrive was saying about Texas (minus the bolo ties and corny accents...) and a much more hospitalble climate...

worst- Utah...

Sandy
05-18-04, 10:42 PM
I am no expert on any state. However, I am from New Jersey and here are pure facts:-

1. Highest Car Insurance in the Nation
2. Highest Car Theft in the Nation (Umm, could be related) :rolleyes2
3. One of the top 10 highest Cancer patient deaths
4. Fairly High Air Polution
5. Crime totally out of control, 2nd only to California, during the Los Ang. riots of years ago)
6. Overcrowded Schools
7. Thru the roof housing costs (I mean, $300,000 buys an "average" house)
8. Horific property taxes. $15,000 a year on the above house, is the norm.
9. 8 years of Christie Whitman as Governess will take 16 years to crawl out of debt.

Texas, seems to have a large amount of bigots, and Calif seems to have the market cornered on weirdos and also the largest amount of people who know that they are perfect in every way.
Vermont? God's little acre. Maine? Where the REAL perfect people are.
Those are all I can comment on, thru personal experience.

Advice? Unless you earn in excess of $170,000 a year, you will not be happy in NJ. I know, I am miserable :crying: However, it is okay to move here if you:

1. Won the lottery of at least 2 mil
2. Inheirited a windfall

Otherwise....you're gonna be unhappy. 'Cause literally EVERYBODY is gonna have more & better than you do.

Smokey
05-19-04, 12:07 AM
California & Oregon worst? What you been smoking on player?

California has got to be hands down the best. We've got absolutley everything you could want, the all-in-one state just like Playdrive was saying about Texas (minus the bolo ties and corny accents...) and a much more hospitalble climate...

worst- Utah...I have never worn a bolo tie and have not personally known anyone that has worn a bolo tie. Just another example of stereotyping, which BTW, every state suffers from. :) I love to travel and sample all the different "cultures" of the U.S., which is why Americans are so lucky. So much variety and no papers needed to visit all these wonderful places.

El Dobro
05-19-04, 12:53 AM
New Jersey has gotten even worse with 3 years of our new Governor, Jim McGreedy. We've sunken to new lows of greed and corruption.

RBraczyk
05-19-04, 01:15 AM
What do you expect. NJ is the bitch of NYC. I mean, look at the miles of powergrid in northern jersey. NYC mobs should corrupt NJ.

cadillacdeville
05-19-04, 01:25 AM
Worst state? Hem I'd have to say Texas but not all of it the rest of Texas is great but East Texas omg this place is horrible corrupt police, and the white trash is rampant the humidity is craptacular cost of living is cheep though but its because nobody wants to live around the trash and the scenery is pathetic no mountains no blue water rivers or lakes just pine trees and muddy swampy water. I'm from Colorado originally and would still be living there if so many freaks from California hadn't moved there. I'm trying to move to the Texas hill country Thats my fav its great down there.

Smokey
05-19-04, 09:01 AM
Worst state? Hem I'd have to say Texas but not all of it the rest of Texas is great but East Texas omg this place is horrible corrupt police, and the white trash is rampant the humidity is craptacular cost of living is cheep though but its because nobody wants to live around the trash and the scenery is pathetic no mountains no blue water rivers or lakes just pine trees and muddy swampy water. I'm from Colorado originally and would still be living there if so many freaks from California hadn't moved there. I'm trying to move to the Texas hill country Thats my fav its great down there.Your just living too far North in East Texas. We have plenty of water and a very nice lake here in Deep East Texas. That's the great thing about Texas, if you do not like the climate there are plenty of other areas that are totally different and you still get to be in Texas. A lot of people make the mistake of visiting a particular location in Texas and think the whole state is like that area. Texas is way too big to make that assumption. I have been here 51 years and while I enjoy visiting other states, I still like to come home to Texas. I do plan on moving to a drier part of the state after I retire. Most of the drier climate regions do not offer as good a job market, although there are exceptions. Comparing one state with another is fun, but each state has it's plus and minus side. Also, the perception of a particular state will vary depemding on the age and demographic background of the observer. That is why I enjoy reading the perceptions from a variety of people about the different states. Yes, I am a Native Texan and proud of it, but you will not hear me bashing other states.

Sandy
05-19-04, 11:33 AM
This is also true!! McGreedy, that's funny! :)

S10xGN
05-19-04, 03:49 PM
Worst state? Hem I'd have to say Texas but not all of it the rest of Texas is great but East Texas omg this place is horrible corrupt police, and the white trash is rampant the humidity is craptacular cost of living is cheep though but its because nobody wants to live around the trash and the scenery is pathetic no mountains no blue water rivers or lakes just pine trees and muddy swampy water. I'm from Colorado originally and would still be living there if so many freaks from California hadn't moved there. I'm trying to move to the Texas hill country Thats my fav its great down there.

I see you are not proud enough of your locale to post it, so we don't know where you are from. I've got to say, East Texas has been my home for the last 30 years and while there are better places to live, there are much less preferable places...

Mad'lac
05-19-04, 04:11 PM
Native Texan and proud of it!!!! It's gonna hurt bad when I gotta leave to work somewhere else after I finish school. Only hope I got is hooking up with one of the Oil companies here in Texas that have a need for a Instrumentation tech.
Texas got a lil bit of everything. Nothing like taking a drive in the Hill Country in Spring and Fall. You want Big trees head over to NE Texas. Want sand&water...head over to the coast. Want lakes....head over to NE Texas too, or in my case drive up to Canyon Lake. Only other place I even think about living in is Colorado.People from other places say Texas is too hot....they must've had a broken AC unit or never been to AZ. California is ok I guess....if you like to be pushed around by Tree-huggers and movie stars. Now if only we could do something about all the tourists coming down here. Go away!!!!!

cadillacdeville
05-20-04, 12:13 AM
I'm currently in Longview close to tyler I've been here about 5 years used to live outside of houston in humble that was a great place to live loved it there but due to a job situation I've had to move all over the central US but I do love texas and the Hill country is my favorite place in the US and I have been all over this country.