: relocate factory stereo to trunk??

catera00
02-14-08, 03:00 PM
I talked to a couple stereo install shops and they both said their documention shows that data runs through the stereo and that the factory stereo needs to be relocated if you install an aftermarket unit. I assume its the onstar that needs it. But I dont use onstar. One guy said that some GM vehicles need the stereo relocated because the airbags run through it and wont work without it. Any thoughts? Thanks

eastsidercaddy
02-14-08, 10:04 PM
Sounds like a bunch of B.S. of course i know nothing about OnStar. The airbags shouldn't have to go thru the STEREO to work. That just sounds blatantly stupid. Try searching the forums for aftermarket stereo or stereo and you should be able to find something. Doesn't really answer your question but hope it puts you in the right direction.

catera00
02-15-08, 01:27 PM
well it didnt make sense to me either. I bought the kits and am trying to get it all to work. I was told that the yellow and red wires on the new harness were reversed but I get no power out of the red one. Which should be the ignition 12v positive. The one that turns the stereo off when the key is off. I testeed every wire in the cars harness plus and couldnt find one. I only have a constant 12v. Does anyone know where the ignition positive wire is? I can run a wire to the fuse panel if I have to but I would rather not. Thanks in advance.
P.S. Ive searched a bunch of times and cant find anything on this particular prob

elvin315
02-15-08, 02:22 PM
You might want to check the Omega site. They have a section dedicated to ICE (In Car Entertainment).

http://www.omegaowners.com/forum/YaBB.pl?board=omegaelectric/20

Elvin

catera00
02-15-08, 02:27 PM
ok, I solved that problem by wiring the ignition wire to an available ignition powered wire on another unused harness. Now I discovered that the damn install kit doesnt fit. The pocket keeps hitting the plastic bracket. Maybe I'm just nutes cause its 20 degrees in my garage but I dont see how this is gonna fit. Its a Best brand install kit for 1998-2001 catera. wtf am i doing wrong?

cateraowner
02-15-08, 07:14 PM
since when does anything work the first time in our cars.

what deck are you puting in? I was just wondering if a 2 din aftermarket deck would fit in the car

and do you have a bose system? haw was it making everythign work together?

catera00
02-15-08, 11:44 PM
since when does anything work the first time in our cars.

what deck are you puting in? I was just wondering if a 2 din aftermarket deck would fit in the car

and do you have a bose system? haw was it making everythign work together?

Alpine Single DIN. The wiring was easy except I had to run the ignition wire separately because my car's plug somehow doesnt have one. Otherwise it was strait forward. Except the install kit wont fit cause the pocket under the head unit is too wide. Gonna go to the install shop tomorrow to let them look at it. It looks like I'll have to cut that pocket a bit. Which sucks. I dont believe every person on this board w/ a 2000-2001 had this same prob. But the dang kit says 98-2001 catera. I dunno. I imagine double DIN would be fine. Just remove the mounting brackets from the stock stereo.
I have a non bose system btw

Jen_Kenne
02-18-08, 11:29 AM
I just came by a 1999 Catera with 24,000 miles. It has the non-Bose radio. Can a CD changer be installed in the truck and controlled by this front end?

catera00
02-18-08, 12:38 PM
ok, so heres the deal from the install shop. There is another kit that looks exactly like the one I bought except it has a narrower pocket. Which will resolve my wide pocket problem. I will check back later this week when it comes in to let you guys know how it fits. I know another guy on here had the same fitment problem on his '02 and had to modify the kit pocket to get it fit. So If the new one works,I will provide a part number so other people can avoid this problem.

investor74
02-18-08, 11:12 PM
I just came by a 1999 Catera with 24,000 miles. It has the non-Bose radio. Can a CD changer be installed in the truck and controlled by this front end?

Not sure about the 99s, but the 97 which I have was pre-wired for a CD changer in the trunk. Check to see if you have the wiring. In mine, it is behind a pull out panel in the back of the trunk on the right. I have the Delco 12 CD changer and it is controlled by the radio. The only caveat is that you must have the key in the ignition on the "on" position when you load the CD cartridge in the changer for it to "learn" the CDs that you have loaded.

Jen_Kenne
02-19-08, 09:34 AM
Not sure about the 99s, but the 97 which I have was pre-wired for a CD changer in the trunk. Check to see if you have the wiring. In mine, it is behind a pull out panel in the back of the trunk on the right. I have the Delco 12 CD changer and it is controlled by the radio. The only caveat is that you must have the key in the ignition on the "on" position when you load the CD cartridge in the changer for it to "learn" the CDs that you have loaded.

I believe you are right. According to the Owner's Manual, the CD Changer was a dealer installed option. I am going to do some price checking.

For now, I have my MP3 player running through the stereo front-end.

Thanks!