: GM recalling 180,000+ HHR's

Blackout
02-14-08, 12:16 AM
http://money.cnn.com/2008/02/13/autos/chevy_hhr_recall/index.htm?cnn=yes

Chevy HHRs not equipped with optional roof rail-mounted airbags and sold between 2006 and 2008 failed GM's side-impact tests, said GM. Roof rail-mounted airbags are designed to reduce the risk of head injury in the event of a side-impact collision.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
02-14-08, 01:18 AM
Hmmm...there's a similar problem with Cobalt Coupes.

caddycruiser
02-14-08, 01:30 AM
This has happened before on other vehicles, such as I remember our Chrysler 300M (or something similar...I can't remember 100%). Somehow, without side airbags, there was a minute 1/1000, etc. little detail found out later about what else might be a particular point of body/head impact, and they just called for an extra piece to be stuck on/in the headliner.

It was so minor...the fix really wouldn't theoretically help anything, but cleared up the detail in regards to the actual standards.

Basically? Dumb, and just something to annoy service departments with.

Night Wolf
02-14-08, 09:12 AM
so what are they gonna do? retrofit airbags? beef up the roof? take the cars back and give new ones?

caddycruiser
02-14-08, 10:05 AM
so what are they gonna do? retrofit airbags? beef up the roof? take the cars back and give new ones?

Like I had mentioned with a past vehicle we had, as dumb as it sounded, the "fix" was simply an extra/new piece of insulation and some other little piece on the headliner above the door opening.

Probably the same here, but we'll see.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
02-14-08, 01:07 PM
In the Cobalt coupes, they beef up the roof.

NOT ON MY WATCH
02-14-08, 02:31 PM
The fix is adding a piece of plastic to the headliner trim on each side. That way when a truck plows into the side of your HHR, your head won't hurt as much after it bounces off the headliner trim.