: North* easy tune up

JSMeloche
05-17-04, 09:40 AM
Good morning
This is a post to reassure all of you who are afraid to do a tune up on the North* engine. It is very easy! i did mine this weekend in 2 hours (95 STS 85k). I changed the plug, plug wire, fuel filter and air filter.

Just go slowly.
These are the step i followed to change the plugs and wire.
#1 remove the engine cover (open the hood first lol)
#2 remove the strut brace. This is easy and gives you a lot of place to work
#3 remove the coil pack. 2 bolts on the back and 2 bolts on the side (10mm). This will give you easy access to all four rear spark plugs
#4 remove plug wire and change the plug. Do the plug one at a time. You should not have any problem removing the plug in the back. Use a spark plug socket, the one with the rubber to hold the plug in place and a extension.
#5 change the wire one at a time making sure you put it back on the correct terminal. This is pretty foolproof. The number of the cylinder is labeled on the block and the terminal is labeled on the coilpack AND in some case it is labeled on the wire as well.
#6 Put everyting back in place

For the fuel filter is is on the driver side of the car underneath the rear door.
#1 Remove the fuel pump fuse and run the car until it stalls. This will remove most of the pressure from the fuel line.
#2 Jack the car.
#3 Locate the fuel filter and remove it. I used a screwdriver to break the plastic thingy that hold it there but im pretty sure there is a better way to do it.
#4 Put the new filter in place using the new plastic retainer
#5 Dont forget to put the fuel pump fuse back!

145$ CAN for the wires
105$ CAN for the spark plugs
12$ CAN for a fuel filter
100$ CAN K&N 33-2086 this is a direct fit for the STS even tough it is not listed on K&N site.

The dealer wanted over 800$ to do all this!!! can you beleive it! I did all this in about 2 hours. Now the STS is even smoother at idle and scream at WOT.

Do you guys have any other suggestion for my tune up? I want to clean the injectors but i will probably go to the dealer for this since they have a pressurized washing system.

BeelzeBob
05-18-04, 12:25 AM
My suggestion is to leave the injectors alone. Unless there is some driveability problem that you can specifically trace to an injector there is no reason to "clean" them or flush any solvent thru them... You are just asking for trouble. Sounds like you covered all the necessary stuff anyway and it is running great so stop while you are ahead...LOL.

The one other "tuneup" item you didn't mention is cleaning the throttle body. It is simple and easy. Just take the air duct off at the throttle body and hold the blade wide open. Scrub the back of the blade and the bore of the throttle body behind the blade with an old tooth brush and some carb cleaner. The deposits building up will affect the idle speed control and will eventually need to be cleaned anyway so just do it as preventive maintenance. When you clean it, disconnect the negative battery cable for 30 seconds or so to reset the idle learn values for the clean throttle body.

JSMeloche
05-18-04, 11:12 AM
Yup i also cleaned the throtle body a couple of weeks ago but i did not unplug the battery for 30 sec. I know there is a procedure in the User manual that you follow if you unplug the battery. Do i have to go trough the whole procedure to reset the idle control???

Any way unplugging the battery will be another excuse to open the hood and have a look at that sweet V8 ;)

BeelzeBob
05-18-04, 03:31 PM
Yup i also cleaned the throtle body a couple of weeks ago but i did not unplug the battery for 30 sec. I know there is a procedure in the User manual that you follow if you unplug the battery. Do i have to go trough the whole procedure to reset the idle control???

Any way unplugging the battery will be another excuse to open the hood and have a look at that sweet V8 ;)

NO, nothing special to do in your case. If you cleaned the throttle body you just disconnect, but if you have driven a lot since then don't worry about it. The system will learn by itself in a short while so the disconnect would be pointless st this stage.

The idle "learn" procedure is specifically for when the battery is disconnected and the throttle body was NOT cleaned.

JSMeloche
05-18-04, 03:59 PM
Sweet ;) tanx man. Gotta love a forum with dedicated member like you.

I used to own a J-Body (Pontiac Sunbird) and be on the J-body.org forum. Now i own an STS. First the car is a LOT better and the forum is a lot better too! wow :coolgleam what a bargain :D