: Well, wish me luck!

I~LUV~Caddys8792
02-13-08, 01:28 AM
Going to interview for a new job tomorrow.

As a mail carrier for USPS.

Nothing wrong with my current job, aside from the lack of money. For the most part, I like what I do, but there's not enough money in it. I make about 10 an hour now, on salary alone. Haven't got into my commission zone yet, as far as sales go. And it's very tough with my shift.

Now I suppose you're all thinking "How is he gonna go from being a service adviser to being a mailman?" Well the pay is double, and there are no customers do deal with, and no sales numbers to worry about, and no CSI scores to worry about. Granted, I'll be outside in the cold and rain, but I think I'll be happy when I'm making double what I am now, and with working less time! I'd assume it's 40 hours a week, versus the 50 I'm at now. Which means I'll actually have a normal weekend and I won't have to work from 10:30 to 9 anymore....so I'll have normal nights too.

Hopefully I can get this so I can move out quickly and get a nice place of my own, and maybe a second car....classic Caddy/Lincoln or something cool like that...maybe a supercharged GS/GTP or Riviera though too...

Well, here goes nothin!

Benzilla
02-13-08, 01:34 AM
Good luck! I didn't know they made that much. So what *exactly* is the job description?

Ben.

MauiV
02-13-08, 01:38 AM
Good luck.

I love my fed job.

gdwriter
02-13-08, 01:48 AM
Having seen you "go postal" over Chicago traffic, I can only say that you'd be perfect for the job.:histeric:

Truly, though, good luck.

HITMONEY
02-13-08, 01:53 AM
"Checks In The Mail!"

Good Luck!!

Ranger
02-13-08, 01:53 AM
Good luck! I didn't know they made that much. So what *exactly* is the job description?

Ben.

They get paid pretty well.

MauiV
02-13-08, 01:55 AM
Are postal carriers still on the GS scale?

We left it years ago, thank God.

HITMONEY
02-13-08, 01:56 AM
Price of stamps going up AGAIN.

Bastages!!!

Well, not you yet Chad.

:)

Florian
02-13-08, 01:58 AM
a real weekend??? you gotta work Saturdays....

F

I~LUV~Caddys8792
02-13-08, 02:11 AM
Dude, I work Saturdays now. :) 8-4.

Night Wolf
02-13-08, 03:11 AM
Good luck!

A real weekend? heh.... I haven't had one of those in about a year now.... working nights and having non, or partial weekend days off will do that to ya :)

MauiV
02-13-08, 03:16 AM
Weekend?

Those fall on Wednesday and Thursdays right?

I put in 40 hours between 6 pm Friday night and 6:15 am Tuesday morning. It isnt a physically tough gig but the quick turns wear down the body and the stress is supposed to be the worst there is. Its definitely a young mans game and thats the reason mandatory retirement comes at 56 but most are gone by 51.

gary88
02-13-08, 03:53 AM
Good luck!

BigJon
02-13-08, 10:13 AM
good luck

ted tcb
02-13-08, 10:19 AM
I hope you get the gig.
The winter's will be tough, but the summer's will be amazing.
Our mailman does his route with his Ipod firmly in place ... I'm sure that helps with stress.
Seems like the logical way to get your own pad.

Florian
02-13-08, 10:33 AM
Dude, I work Saturdays now. :) 8-4.

well then, its the same ol shit.

F

I~LUV~Caddys8792
02-13-08, 11:31 AM
Oooh, I didn't think about that until now....I'd get to wear my iPod while working. That would certainly take the edge off of cold winter days.

slk230mb
02-13-08, 11:44 AM
Oooh, I didn't think about that until now....I'd get to wear my iPod while working. That would certainly take the edge off of cold winter days.

So will whiskey.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
02-13-08, 11:45 AM
So would Hot Pockets. Mainly because I'd have bigger things than cold weather to worry about. Like if I'm gonna die.

BigJon
02-13-08, 11:45 AM
nice shots of E n J....

Spyder
02-13-08, 11:59 AM
Ha, the wife is a mailman. :D She makes a pretty good salary amazing benefits, great retirement. Crappy Kaiser for health insurance, but at least its free! Sundays off, paid federal holidays and a rotating day off every week. For example, she's got today off, next week she'll have Thursday, the week after that she'll have Friday. So yea, once in a while you DO get a weekend and sometimes even a three day-er!

Good luck man. Hope it works out for you!

dirt_cheap_fleetwood
02-13-08, 12:22 PM
Good luck. I've got an uncle who is a mail carrier and he really likes the job. Retirement benefits with gov. jobs are second to none as well.

Cadillacboy
02-13-08, 01:15 PM
Good luck lol

AMGoff
02-13-08, 03:07 PM
Will you rather go by:

"Chad the Angry Mailman," or

"Chad the Disgruntled Postal-Worker?"

Either way... Good luck! There's nothing wrong at all with a government gig... the job security alone is more than worth it - there's always going to be mail and there's always going to have to be someone to deliver it.

TexasCadillac
02-13-08, 04:38 PM
My dad was a mailman 35 years. He is 86 now and I think his good health is from walking everyday, he drove a rural mail route the last few years. He got the job 2 weeks after he got out of WW2 he had planned not to work for 3 months but figured he better take the job. He usually got off of work and at home by 3PM. The post office has real good health and retirement. Good luck getting your mailman job.

oshguy
02-13-08, 04:52 PM
Hey, good luck. My dad is a retired USPS letter carrier. He had a good salary and great benefits, and carried his health insurance over into retirement at the same cost as when he was working. That, in itself, is worth a bundle!!

Letter carriers are not paid on the GS system, but it's similar.

Keep us posted on how it turns out.

Night Wolf
02-13-08, 06:04 PM
I'll be keeping an eye on the racing section to see who Chad is street racing against in the postal truck :)

I~LUV~Caddys8792
02-13-08, 06:15 PM
The guy in the street sweeper. :cool2:

eldorado99
02-13-08, 06:26 PM
Good luck getting the gig.

I too work for the federal government, (although it is of the Canadian variety) decent salary, great job security and benefits, retirement plan is amazing.

CadillacGurl
02-13-08, 08:11 PM
Good luck Chad! I can see you now racing against a street sweeper hehe
Now I gotta get back on my job game, Saks here I come!

hueterm
02-13-08, 08:17 PM
I would think too that seniority is huge w/gov't jobs, so starting out at your age would be a huge benefit. Better to start there as soon as possible and see how it goes.

Just don't eat the big bacon cheeseburger for lunch as you will have dogs chasing you down the street. :-)

I~LUV~Caddys8792
02-14-08, 01:14 AM
Well first of all, thanks to everyone for the well wishes. I appreciate that greatly. I've been quickly reading them at work, but would not post about it at work, because if my boss sees the thread, I'll lose my current job.

The interview was a 15 minute "stop n' chat" session. She said she was interviewing these three weeks for the job, and would be hiring four people for right now, and will keep all the other candidates in a "job pool" for when more jobs open up in the summer. The pay is $19.26 an hour, but here's the downside....get ready.... it's 60 hours a week. 6 AM to 6PM Monday through Saturday. So I get less of a weekend than I do now...big minus. But, I figured at those hours, at that wage, I'd be bringing home ~$900 a week....roughly 2.5x what I'm making now.....big plus. That would solve every major problem I have now, and allow me to move out very quickly, and possibly allow me to live another one of my dreams: to have the Benz, another car (whether it be a secondary newer car so the S Class can sit inside on shitty days, or a vintage Lincoln or Caddy) and my own apartment/condo or Townhome (prefer the townhome).

So I've just gotta wait for her to call me and see where this goes from here.

eldorado99
02-14-08, 01:53 AM
I really hope you get it, moving out and into a mortgage instead of renting like most people do when they move out would be a great financial step in the right direction, start building that equity young! Plus, I want to see a Chad review on a Mark IV that he owns.

Night Wolf
02-14-08, 08:57 AM
I really hope you get it, moving out and into a mortgage instead of renting like most people do when they move out would be a great financial step in the right direction, start building that equity young! Plus, I want to see a Chad review on a Mark IV that he owns.

Go from living at home to buying something, in the low 20's with not a whole lot of money?

Good luck on that... and I am not being mean at all, I mean it. I rented the house here in GA for 1yr, it was in my own name, and my apartment in FL for 14months, that was co-signed by my step-father and I.... and even then, some banks were being a pain in the butt about the mortgage.

They have this new thing called "payment shock" basically, even though my salary (thru pay stubs and W2) said I qualified for alot more, they wanted to keep my payments close to what I was used to paying, so as not to run into problems.... typical first time home buyer stuff. That wasn't an issue for me though, because I was very modest with my price range and stuck with it. Not only that, but with tax and insurance escrowed in, I am actually paying less per month then I was paying to rent the house here, which was less then the cost of my 1br apartment in Florida.

In fact, I asked about it, what if I had lived with my parents and saved up money, and they said that unless I had alot saved up for a hefty down payment, made alot more then I make, or had it co-signed with someone that has established credit/housing history, it would be next to impossible to get a mortgage on my own. They want to see the history, not just the money. Same goes for credit, my credit rating was fine, but because there wasn't much history, somehow it gets classified in the same category as bad/low credit. But, with it being a buyers market right now, banks have alot of programs out that weren't in the past and people have been sitting on houses for a long time. Had it been the other way around, I know I wouldn't have gotten the deal I did, or perhaps even be able to get my own place at this moment.

but, I learned a whole lot thru the process.... it was pretty cool actually. Next time will be a whole lot better though, but I am very happy with how it all turned out... couple last minute hiccups, but now that it's all done I am very happy.... the exact house I wanted for a very fair price IMO at a really good intrest rate.

I'd be more then happy to share my experience with anyone to give advice and what to expect. The market is a whole lot different now then it was years ago (when my parents bought their houses) so even when they found out various things, it was new to them.

But, my priorties changed big time.... because I can either put excess amounts of time/money into my house, or my car... one will loose value over time, the other will gain value... plus... its just a car... a way to get from place to place... but a house is a home, its my domain. I dunno, I guess its hard to explain. I know once things settle down, I'll enjoy working on the car again, but right now its running (well one of them) and gets me from place to place, so all is well. Theres just alot more important things in life to put my effort towards :)

As for the job... thats something you need to decide. For me, 60hrs a week will get real old, real fast. Enough for me is after my 40hrs, and depending on the time, overtime is pretty easy to get where I work... but still, theres gotta be a balance between work and the rest of your life, otherwise your just a slave to that person/company, same goes for being in debt or owing money, you are a slave to them... I dunno, thats just how I feel. yeah I could work OT and get more money, but money is not everything, in fact in the world of things, money is very little... If the bills are paid and there is a little left over, then as far as I am concerned I am doing fine. If I was to die tomorrow, atleast I enjoyed time spent at home, with friends/family, or doing whatever I want. Thats just my opinion though, plenty of other folks think the oppisite, guys I work with too... to each their own I guess :)

Anyway, $19.26/hr, is that salary or hourly? is it $19.26/hr for the first 40hrs then $28.89 (time and a half) for the second 20hrs? 12hrs is a long day, I do 10, and it dosn't leave much time durring the day to do much else... fine for me, I'm single and don't mind it... but I basically work, come home, sleep, get up, have a couple hrs before work then the process starts over for 4 days.... the plus for me is the 3days off. But 6am-6pm 6 days a week... man you are just gonna be working, going home to sleep then go right back to work and Sunday you'd probably just end up sleeping most the day anyway. It's tough, it is, because even with my 10hr shifts, and I need around 8hrs sleep, I don't have much time to do things around the house, so unless things are kept neat all the time, everything kinda gets set aside for my weekend.

Ah.... I dunno why I am getting into this, I'm sure there are certain folks who will disagree with me and rudely point it out... just figured I'd give my view... take it for what its worth.

BigJon
02-14-08, 01:45 PM
Well i hope she calls ya back and you get the job of your chose

dirt_cheap_fleetwood
02-14-08, 06:23 PM
Man, at least you get paid for all the work you do. I have school every week day from 8:00 (gotta catch the bus at 6:45) to 3:20 (get home round 4). Then I eat my "dinner" and leave for work. I am working 35 hours a week as a cashier at Wal-Mart (make all the jokes you want, its a damn good place to work part-time). I work 5-6 days a week. On weekdays I work 5-10:30/11:00, meaning I am away from home for nearly 16 hours a day, and when I am home I'm fast asleep. On weekends, I work a 9 hour shift. I cannot wait to get out of school.

Night Wolf
02-14-08, 06:44 PM
Man, at least you get paid for all the work you do. I have school every week day from 8:00 (gotta catch the bus at 6:45) to 3:20 (get home round 4). Then I eat my "dinner" and leave for work. I am working 35 hours a week as a cashier at Wal-Mart (make all the jokes you want, its a damn good place to work part-time). I work 5-6 days a week. On weekdays I work 5-10:30/11:00, meaning I am away from home for nearly 16 hours a day, and when I am home I'm fast asleep. On weekends, I work a 9 hour shift. I cannot wait to get out of school.

I know the feeling, trust me. I've had a job since I was 15... although at 13 I was mowing lawns and stuff. But, all thru high school, I'd work on average 3 nights a week, and atleast one, if not both weekend days. Same goes for tech school... now that was a full day, 8hrs of tech school, come home eat, then go to work for 5hrs, come home and sleep. I worked about 3 days a week after school there too, most Saturdays and I would close Sundays.

So for me, ~35hrs of school and then ~20-25hrs of work also.... that was alot, going from that to a standard 40hr work week was a relief actually, I know have 3 days in a row off, every week, something I haven't had in a long time before that.

Don't worry about it though, it'll get better. Education is important. Once the school is done and you work full time, you'll get alot of your time back :)

NOT ON MY WATCH
02-14-08, 07:17 PM
GL, man! Having a decent paying job will take you to that next level in life.

MauiV
02-14-08, 07:46 PM
LOL, I dont ever have any more money, just nicer stuff.

NOT ON MY WATCH
02-14-08, 07:50 PM
Maui - you can always stop buying certain "nicer stuff" and just let that money grow... then you'll have mo' money.

MauiV
02-15-08, 04:47 PM
I max out my TSP (gov 401) . I max out mine and the wifes Roths. I have a set amount that goes into my portfolio every month. That does get a bump when I get a raise (which our wonderful government has now frozen for 2 years in a row). I have forced retirement at age 56 but most likely will go at 52 with 30 years. So my career earnings have a very short limit compared to most other fields.

I like stuff, and I married a women that is compulsive about decorating. But she is also well on her way to a VERY good income so its not really that big of a deal. Im just saying that the more I make, the more I spend. I like nice stuff and can afford some of the things I want (the Enzo is not yet within reach). I plan for the future but also enjoy the now.

As soon as she finishes her Masters it is back to Maui for us since we will be able to afford to enjoy it in the way one is supposed to. I took a 50% pay cut when I moved there from Houston the 1st time. My lifestyle took a MAJOR hit for a couple years but my quality of life jumped exponentially.

LUv sounds like he has his ducks in a row and is doing whats necessary to reach his goals. More power to him.