: roller lifters or flat tappet

Crown Vic Owner
02-12-08, 09:23 PM
That is the question, i need to find out.

To find out more about my engine, i am seeking answers to this, how do i find this out without popping the valve covers?

02-12-08, 09:28 PM
Pre 2000 had flat tappets. The Northstar got rollers in 2000.

02-12-08, 09:34 PM
If you have a '98, you have a hardened sled cam follower, which rides on the valve tip at one end and a hydraulic lash adjuster at the other. The cam lobe bears on the sled. The only thing in the system that will move down is the valve stem.

'00 changed the hardened sled to a needle bearing roller.

I posted a pic of the new system a couple of weeks ago.

Look at it this way: Place a water tumbler on your kitchen counter (the lash adjuster). 6" to the right place a sponge (the valve tip). Place a ruler flat across the two (the cam follower). With one finger (the cam lobe) push down hard in the center of the ruler. What moves? The sponge end, right? Bingo, OHC/lash adjuster principle. (A mechanical setup has the cam lobe act directly on the valve tip which is topped by a removable cap which can be miked and changed to get proper valve lash.)

BTW, if you're one of the ZDDP checkers, Pennzoil LongLife 10W-30 truck oil has 1400 PPM ZDDP as opposed to non- gas/diesel oils which carry 600-800 PPM.

Crown Vic Owner
02-12-08, 09:36 PM
That isnt why im asking, i am trying to figure out what the hell i am dealing with motor wise.

I have a serial number from the rear valve cover on the engine, is this of any use to you guys in finding anything out?

02-12-08, 09:50 PM
The number is a VIN derivative. It uses the last part of the vehicle VIN to date the engine and build sequence. A Helm FSM or a dealer can decipher the numbers.

02-12-08, 10:52 PM
Can you see spark plug wires?

I have the best one yet. You can't play with this. It either is or it is not. Screw the plug wire check for you. You say it is a 04 engine and they strung plug wires.

OK this is the big one you can't play with this
It is cold out in my garage and the lights had not warmed up so the pictures are not the best.

Do you have a cross-over like this with a throttle body like this?
The front valve cover looks like this

Or do you have a Throttle body attached to the cross-over with out a MAF?

More spare parts. I counted 4 cranks and one is new.

Crown Vic Owner
02-12-08, 11:02 PM
Its without a MAF IIRC

Ill go out and check tomorrow morning