: GM lost $38.7 billion in 2007 and Infiniti to have the GTR also?

02-12-08, 11:50 AM
Problems with the GMAC finance unit and large charges taken in the third quarter related to other tax issues left GM with a company record $38.7 billion net loss for 2007. http://money.cnn.com/2008/02/12/news/companies/gm/index.htm?cnn=yes

And now for some interesting news, it's looking like that Infiniti will wind up getting the GTR after all but in a totally different package

Here is a rendering of what a possible 2011 Infiniti R38T & R50 might look like. Rumors say that it will have the VR38DETT engine from the GT-R, but will also have a V-8 in its line-up. The V-8 that will be used will be the new successor to the VH45, a 5.0 liter V8 that will be seen in the upcoming FX50. It will be four-door model with larger rear seats.

The interior will be more luxurious with soft-leather and wood. The roof will be slightly taller and there will be more rear-leg room in the back and should seat 4-5 adults comfortably. The weight will be kept down using carbon-fiber components and the car will be designed to achieve sub-8 minutes Nürburgring lap times. The car will be positioned against the Porsche Panamera and will be released around 2011.

We first reported about Infiniti possibly launching its own version of the GT-R back in August of last year, when Nissan’s global design Chief Shiro Nakamura Infiniti was looking at expanding its lineup and one of the possibilities could be a “high end coupe or convertible.” In fact, until only a few months before the GT-R’s release we weren’t even sure if the new super-coupe would wear Nissan or Infiniti badges.

Nakamura has once again ignited speculation that Infiniti could be prepping its own version of the GT-R when he told CAR “we have developed the platform and the transaxle powertrain – an Infiniti version is a future possibility,” adding, “I have not done a study yet, but we are thinking about it.”

Infiniti dealer Peter Wilson has also hinted that a luxurious version of the GT-R could be offered. Speaking with Automotive News, he said that Infiniti was looking at three main segments to expand its lineup. “One is some sort of a supercar. Would it be on the same GT-R platform? That would make sense,” he commented. The other segments he hinted at include the midsized MPV and high-end limo markets.

Closest rivals Lexus and Acura are both working on developing 500hp supercars of their own and as Nakamura pointed out during a previous interview, there remains significant interest in the segment in the luxury performance market.

02-12-08, 07:29 PM
Hideous. Ugliest grill I have seen in quite a time and its good to see Nissan now has a $80,000+ Altima

02-12-08, 08:23 PM
Hideous. Ugliest grill I have seen in quite a time and its good to see Nissan now has a $80,000+ Altima

Yeah it is pretty friggin ugly, and that color isn't helping it either

bob k
02-12-08, 11:21 PM
Blech, put it back in, its not done yet.

02-12-08, 11:28 PM
I'll take an M5, thanks.

02-12-08, 11:50 PM
What's their estimate on cost of that GT-R Sedan?

02-13-08, 05:24 AM

02-13-08, 12:22 PM

Thank god it's only a rendering!