: Exhaust and Cat removal question.....

KEV-V
02-12-08, 04:20 AM
Need some opinions here from you guys. I have a Magnaflow catback sitting in my garage waiting for install.......headers later. My question is would removing my cats give me any headaches with the computer/sensors?? It should make it sound killer I would think and some extra HP as well.

Anyone done this that could shed some light? Thanks :worship:

StealthV
02-12-08, 08:59 AM
Yes removing the cats will have two, well three, ok four, side affects -

- Smell of raw unburned fuel
- Will turn on the CEL (check engine light)
- What's the opposite of being green? black?
- Sound will be more raspy and coarse (some say cheesy)

ctsv154
02-12-08, 09:31 AM
The raspy and coarse part also depends a lot on the rest of the exhaust. Granted its not quite the same, I have had a lot of cars with no cats and they all sound great. My 73' 340 4 speed Challenger comes to mind! That thing sounded awesome with the exhaust it had and it was just a muffler shop weld in special. Nothing fancy.

ctsv154
02-12-08, 09:32 AM
And the cell can be tuned out.^^^^^StealthV knows all about that

Twitch
02-12-08, 11:33 AM
How about hi-flo cats with a Magnaflow?
Would it change the sound much (its great now).
I guess you'd get a little more hp.

JMBCTSV
02-13-08, 09:58 AM
I play around with cals (now on JMB V3.1) in an attempt to get to 24 mpg city with my 100% stock car. You can kill some of that pop with DFCO settings if you don't mind gears lashing over, and over, and over . . . . . . needless to say I went too far sometimes. As StealthV knows the best mod nowadays is the ECM, I've got 20 ft*lbs, 25 HP, and 3-4 mpg so far, obviously not all at the same time!