: My New 94 Eldorado

blunted
05-16-04, 09:35 PM
Hey guys, just got a 94 Eldorado with 59000 miles on it for $4,700, the car looks beautiful and is supposed to be in amazing condition... it has a clean title and only one previous owner who ended up trading it in at the dealership. Now I was wondering if perhaps this can be too good to be true and there is something with this model that will go wrong that I dont know about. I'm going to pick it up on Monday, if there's anything anyone can tell me to look for that would cause a problem it would be GREATLY appreciated. Many thanks!

zonie77
05-17-04, 08:44 PM
The only significant problem seems to be head gaskets BUT it affects only a small number of cars. The issue is twofold...being a FWD car the engine needs to be removed to replace the rear head gasket and the threads in the block strip requiring inserting. Again, this only affects a small number of cars.

One of the first things you should do is change the coolant. You do not have to flush it, just drain and replace and add the proper leak stop as a preventative. Search the forum for instructions.

blunted
05-17-04, 11:39 PM
I just got the car its amazing, only 59,000 miles on it. Handles and rides great and there were no leaks. Although there is one troubling thing, while I was at a red light for a while, i had all the windows up with the defrost on and began to smell a antifreeze/gas type smell. Could it be I just need to put different coolant or the pellets? Or is this a blown head gasket sign, which just might make me take a dive off the roof? :crying:

BeelzeBob
05-18-04, 12:16 AM
The 93/94/95 Northstars had the green conventional silicated coolant in them from the factory. It HAD to be replaced every 2-3 years/24-32K miles to keep the corrosion inhibitors in the coolant fresh. If the corrosion inhibitors in the coolant were allowed to fail the system was very subject to internal corrosion causing engine and cooling system damage from corrosion. It is an all aluminum engine and need special car for corrosion protection. If the system has never been serviced and refreshed with new coolant then the heater core could be failing due to corrosion and/or head gaskets due to corrosion.

The steam and smell sounds like the heater core is failing. A cooling system sealer/stop leak like the GM coolant supplement or the BarsLeaks golden seal powder might stem the heater core leak for a short while but if the heater core has corroded badly so that it is leaking it is probably close to a catostrophic failure that would leak coolant into the passenger compartment and damage the carpets and such. Best to get it replaced before that happens.

Head gaskets would not cause what you describe.

I would get the heater core replaced immediately (chalk it up to maintainence on an otherwise nice car) and service the cooling system with a fresh charge of coolant and the coolant supplement pellets. Refill the system with 50/50 green coolant/distilled water and remember to put the coolant supplement/sealer into the radiator hose, NOT the surge tank.