: Heat Wave Hits Fairbanks!

dkozloski
02-11-08, 01:30 PM
The temperature is up to -6F after hitting -47F yesterday. I've been running around outside without a coat.

Blackout
02-11-08, 01:34 PM
Sounds like were having some what similar weather here. When I got up today to try and go to class the temp was 2 degrees but with the wind chill it felt like -12 degrees. But just for s & g's how did you wind up living in Alaska? Sorry if you have gone over this before but I've always wondered how you managed to get up there.

HITMONEY
02-11-08, 01:44 PM
The temperature is up to -6F after hitting -47F yesterday. I've been running around outside without a coat.

And who says global warming isn't happening!!

:p

dkozloski
02-11-08, 01:48 PM
Sounds like were having some what similar weather here. When I got up today to try and go to class the temp was 2 degrees but with the wind chill it felt like -12 degrees. But just for s & g's how did you wind up living in Alaska? Sorry if you have gone over this before but I've always wondered how you managed to get up there.
Getting here was effortless on my part, I was born and raised here. My dad came here in 1923, one step ahead of the revenuers. My mom came to Fairbanks in the early thirties after graduating college to visit her brother who was working at a gold mine and never left. I've been all over the world and keep coming back. It must be the homing instinct.

Blackout
02-11-08, 01:53 PM
Getting here was effortless on my part, I was born and raised here. My dad came here in 1923, one step ahead of the revenuers. My mom came to Fairbanks in the early thirties after graduating college to visit her brother who was working at a gold mine and never left. I've been all over the world and keep coming back. It must be the homing instinct.
Thats pretty interesting to hear. I've always wanted to visit Alaska, it looks like such a beautiful place. Have you ever thought about moving down to one of the other states or are you set on staying in Alaska for the rest of your days?

dkozloski
02-11-08, 02:09 PM
Thats pretty interesting to hear. I've always wanted to visit Alaska, it looks like such a beautiful place. Have you ever thought about moving down to one of the other states or are you set on staying in Alaska for the rest of your days?
I've thought about leaving but not for very long. As soon as I get to the lower 48 I start getting nervous. I get to one of the big megapolis centers and I'm asking myself, how the hell can anybody live in the middle of a mess like this. Jillions of people scurrying around like rats in a warren. Everybody is a number, just a cog in a wheel. Your destiny is totally beyond your control in some bureaucrats hands. I can hardly stand having my wife tell me what to do let alone some complete stranger. There's something to be said for standing on a hilltop and there isn't another human being for fifty miles in any direction. There is no freedom quite like being the total master of your own destiny.

lawfive
02-11-08, 03:38 PM
Around 80 degrees in Southern California yesterday.

(That's with no humidity and no bugs, for you guys east of the Rockies.)

Night Wolf
02-11-08, 03:46 PM
It's in the low 70's yesterday and today, and totally clear skies... flat out amazing weather. My parents are up in NY for the weekend... getting hit with another snow storm...

xshrpshtr
02-11-08, 04:56 PM
I may have a move to So Cal in my future...
Around 80 degrees in Southern California yesterday.

(That's with no humidity and no bugs, for you guys east of the Rockies.)

lawfive
02-11-08, 09:38 PM
Laughed my butt off at the home made sign at the ProBowl in Hawaii:

"Wind chill factor: 84F"

xshrpshtr
02-12-08, 03:03 AM
is there a personality chill factor?

dkozloski
02-12-08, 10:11 AM
is there a personality chill factor?
It'd be pretty hard to apply when all you can see of anybody under all the clothes is their breath.