: Diesel fuel in my gas tank...

Dooman
02-10-08, 04:47 PM
Not as bad as it sounds.. We accidently used a gas can for a snowmobile that contained a small amount of deisel. ( less than a quart) Now it's mixed in the tank of my sled and it will not run. Runs great from a separate can if we run a line to it. Anyone have ideas? We can always tip it over and spill it out, will the remaining amounts always trouble me? Is there a chemical fix??

dkozloski
02-10-08, 05:00 PM
Diesel fuel contamination can destroy an engine in short order with detonation, particularly a two-sroke. You are lucky it didn't run. Drain and flush the fuel system.

Dooman
02-10-08, 05:12 PM
Thanks, we're on the way outside now to tip it best we can, put in fresh gas and try to flush it out.. It's an ugly dark color in the lines...

SvB4EvA
02-10-08, 05:14 PM
Thanks, we're on the way outside now to tip it best we can, put in fresh gas and try to flush it out.. It's an ugly dark color in the lines...

I wouldnt tip it... Use a tube to suck it out, start the flow with your mouth.

urbanski
02-10-08, 05:17 PM
siphon++

dkozloski
02-10-08, 06:04 PM
Oklahoma credit card.

Dooman
02-10-08, 06:04 PM
Siphoned best we could but there was still some sloshing in the tank. tipped it in to an oil-change pan and added fresh gas, did it again. Sled runs but bogs here and there, starts right back up under full choke. I'll add another 5 gal of fresh gas and see how we make out. Still some discoloration of the gas in the lines.. Thanks!

SvB4EvA
02-10-08, 06:12 PM
Siphoned best we could but there was still some sloshing in the tank. tipped it in to an oil-change pan and added fresh gas, did it again. Sled runs but bogs here and there, starts right back up under full choke. I'll add another 5 gal of fresh gas and see how we make out. Still some discoloration of the gas in the lines.. Thanks!

I am no expert, but this happened to one of our lifts at work. The mechanic who came to fix it emptied the tank, replaced the fuel filter and let it run on regular gas for over 2 hours reving the engine every 15 or so minutes... It ran perfectly ever since... I remember it taking a while to start it at first and also LOTTTTTTTTTTTSSSSSSSSSS of smoke.

Rolex
02-10-08, 07:04 PM
I remember seeing footage of a Porsche running with a little diesel fuel in the tank. Once in awhile you'd get a glimpse of the car through all the smoke.

Krashed989
02-10-08, 10:31 PM
I remember once, at the gas station/garage I work at, the fuel trucker put diesel in the regular tank. All of our customers were driving down and stalling out about a block and a half away. It was a mess. We had to close down the pumps and drain peoples gas tanks and clean out their fuel systems all day. Then we had to wait for the fuel company to send out a truck with a pump to pump out our tanks and everything. I'm pretty sure that the trucker didn't keep his job for very long after that. lol

Cadillacboy
02-11-08, 12:52 PM
You wanna be careful when fillin up your gas tanks lol .

Ranger
02-11-08, 03:40 PM
I am kind of surprised that 1 qt in 10 gallons made that much of a difference.

BigJon
02-12-08, 12:07 AM
if i remember right from auto class at school 1 cup can make a difference.

Spyder
02-12-08, 12:08 AM
Hahaha...memories. WAYyyyyyy back, when we were about six or seven years old a friend of mines dad was taking us out in the boat. The dad had mentioned that we needed to fuel up the truck before we left, so my retard friend went and filled up the gas tank with the garden hose.

Didn't make it to the lake that day...

BigJon
02-12-08, 12:18 AM
lol water doesnt burn all that well i guess..

Spyder
02-12-08, 02:16 AM
Yea...funny thing is, I could see ME doing it about that age too...so I can't talk toooo much crap about it. =)

BigJon
02-12-08, 10:38 AM
lol i bet that you guys sit back and laugh about it now.. with his dad

Krashed989
02-12-08, 12:18 PM
Hahaha...memories. WAYyyyyyy back, when we were about six or seven years old a friend of mines dad was taking us out in the boat. The dad had mentioned that we needed to fuel up the truck before we left, so my retard friend went and filled up the gas tank with the garden hose.

Didn't make it to the lake that day...

Reason # 3649, Why parents kill their children. lol