: Bubbling Noise After Coolant Flush

wildrage
02-10-08, 01:47 PM
2001 Catera w/ 75k miles. I've had the car for a week now and so far no problems. Car passed state inspection without problems, and I've been keeping an eye on all fluid levels.

I noticed the car was running slightly hot...well, by a lot of peoples definitions, probably not that hot...about half a small tick above the middle line on the temp indicator. I decided to flush the coolant system since I wasn't totally sure of the cars maintenence history.

I followed the instructions on the Prestone radiator flush bottle, and just finished filling it with a 50/50 mixture of Dexcool. After Idling to normal temperature for about 15 minutes I cut the power off and looked under the hood. I heard bubbling noises coming roughly from the center of the engine. Almost like the noise of something draining, or when you blow into a glass of soda with a straw and make bubbles (not loud and violently, but just slowly). After a few mintues the bubbling noises stopped.

I then pulled the oil filler cap and noticed a milky liquid on the cap and near the top of the stem. I've read about this on the board before and many say that it is normal. I pulled the oil dipstick and didnt' see any milky substance...only on the filler cap. I drove the car about 500 miles prior to this, paying extra special attention to these areas, and changing the oil about 100 miles ago, and didnt notice this substance..only now, right after the coolant change.

What is this bubbing noise?

wildrage
02-10-08, 05:06 PM
I now have oil in my coolant. I'm assuming my flush screwed up my oil cooler, or its just bad luck. Whatever the case may be, it looks like I'll be changing out the oil cooler...or atleast the seal. In everybodies experience, does the oil cooler typically need to be replaced? THe feeling I've been getting is that its usually the seal that goes, not the cooler itself.

frank moran
02-10-08, 06:12 PM
I now have oil in my coolant. I'm assuming my flush screwed up my oil cooler, or its just bad luck. Whatever the case may be, it looks like I'll be changing out the oil cooler...or atleast the seal. In everybodies experience, does the oil cooler typically need to be replaced? THe feeling I've been getting is that its usually the seal that goes, not the cooler itself.

if your sure you have oil in the coolant the oil cooler is leaking, part is about $220, the seal leak you refer to is coolant leaking out around the oil cooler base plate...this is sealed to the block with RTV, over (long) time the hot coolant and pressure pushes the RTV out. Not too bad a job. Invsion a small radiator sitting submersed in coolent under the intake manifold. The real intent of this dumb design was to bring the oil temp up faster, not so much to cool.

wildrage
02-11-08, 07:01 PM
I feel very embarassed. I put some barr's leak in my upper radiator hose last minute (I was debating on whether to do it or not, and did last minute). For future reference, Dark Brown Barr's leak + Orange Coolant = Brown chocolately looking crap. I had a hairline crack right next to the upper radiator hose. I think I'm just going to replace the radiator all together. I see them for approx $135 on ebay for '97-99' years and about $50 more for 2001 and 2002. I'm thinking its the same radiator for all years. Am I correct?