: Titanium ZO6 exhaust/mufflers on CTS-V?

ToyCTSV
02-09-08, 07:20 PM
I may be able to come up with a ZO6 titanium exhaust system...

The potential benefits would be reduced weight and a unique sound - I would modify it and put in an x-pipe. Potential challenges would be welding the system back together after I cut it up to make it fit the CTS-V. Anyone have any ideas or experience re welding titanium? Mig/tig? Would stainless steel wire work?

I have access to a lift and welder and pipe bender... - I have a friend with an exhaust shop and he helped me out when I chopped up my stainless steel borla system to cut out the resonator and put in an x-pipe and custom bend/weld/bolt it up to the headers on my other car.

What I'd really like to do is put in an x-pipe at the front with electric cut outs after the x-pipe flowing back into the ZO6 titanium system... Since the ZO6 is center exit it will take a bit to make this work - maybe only the mufflers will fit and the rest would just be scrapped?

Is our stock system on the V stainless? Do our stock mufflers weigh a lot?

NormV
02-09-08, 08:40 PM
Stock cat back weighs 66 lbs on the digital bathroom scale. Coras was 88 lbs. Ti is very light and would be interested in seeing your finished product.

Norm

rand49er
02-09-08, 08:53 PM
Heck, I need to lose as much weight as you're gonna save.

Sorry. I know that comment didn't help much. :hide:

Naf
02-10-08, 04:30 AM
Hmmm, This sounds so familiar...

Think Think Think, who mentioned this exact thing a few months ago.....

ME!!!!

Corsa discontinued the Ti catback, asked already....As for the headers, you will be in a bind...The Corvette and CTS-v Headers are different. And you need a Clean room with a MIG welder and Aragon Gas....Not to mention the Raw material is expensive and hard to obtain...Only big Typhoons venture and dictate...I asked Stainless Works if they would make me a Ti catback a few months ago, and the response was; we dont have the equipment nor the facility to work with Ti. SS is just as good...

There are other ways to save the weight...I am workin on my approach, and will share once i have my results...

NormV
02-10-08, 04:52 AM
I was talking to a Corsa rep in December and he said that Ti was expensive and hecult used in the military for armor. They are doing any more systems.

Norm

ToyCTSV
02-10-08, 09:08 AM
I'm not going to try to buy one I'm going to take a stock titanium system off an '03 ZO6 and cut it up to fit:thumbsup:

c5racr1
02-10-08, 11:29 AM
the inlet and outlit are on the same side on the c5 exhaust, going to be a lot of trouble but where their is a will....

Details
02-10-08, 07:24 PM
If I recall correctly, the Z06 system I put on my C5 was at about 25 lbs. each side. I have not taken the system off the V, but it sounds like you will save a lot of weight!

Good luck with this project. This would be a significant upgrade all around. Personally, I am not a big fan of changing exhaust systems just for sound, but this would give you the whole performance package! Please report back when/if progress is made. It would be especially cool if you could make the large dual tips work as well.

As you may be aware, welding Ti takes special procedures and training. The configuration differences between the systems are significant.

The Tony Show
02-10-08, 09:56 PM
Seriously man- I'd recommend shelving this idea before it becomes really expensive and a waste of time. Welding and shaping the titanium is going to be a bitch, and you're going to have to fab up intermediate pieces to join the Ti pieces together out of something else (heavier), which will start packing pounds back on. Weight savings above the suspension don't do much anyway (in terms of handling or acceleration) unless you take it from the roof area.

IF you manage to pull it off, it will be very time consuming, expensive, and yield little in the way of weight savings. If you're looking for a cost effective way to save weight, Publix has premixed salads on sale for $3.99. Take the money you saved and go to a performance driving school like Skip Barber or Bondurant.

NormV
02-10-08, 11:19 PM
If I recall correctly, the Z06 system I put on my C5 was at about 25 lbs. each side. I have not taken the system off the V, but it sounds like you will save a lot of weight!

C5 stock over the axle mufflers are almost 25 lbs. while the Ti is around 15 lbs. Not sure what the mid-pipe weighs with cats.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/showthread.php?t=984927

Norm

ToyCTSV
02-10-08, 11:33 PM
good stuff

after doing further research :suspect: I will not be attempting to weld titanium... so I'll be doing some measuring next weekend to see if there's a way to make the mufflers (and hopefully some of the cat back system) fit without a lot of fabrication

SkullV
02-10-08, 11:40 PM
I say do it, if Nutz and Custom Gear listened to everyone that told them their diff wouldn't work then we would not even be looking at that amazing steel diff as an option!

Ted

ToyCTSV
02-10-08, 11:57 PM

off topic... I think you're not too far away from me... Do you do any autocrossing or track days when the weather gets warmer? I really want to do a DE event or track day at Putnam Park this spring/summer. I do a lot of autocrossing in the central IL area. CCSCC - Champaign County Sports Car Club - we have an event about every three to four weeks when it's warm outside.

SkullV
02-11-08, 12:03 AM

off topic... I think you're not too far away from me... Do you do any autocrossing or track days when the weather gets warmer? I really want to do a DE event or track day at Putnam Park this spring/summer. I do a lot of autocrossing in the central IL area. CCSCC - Champaign County Sports Car Club - we have an event about every three to four weeks when it's warm outside.

I am planning on signing up for the April 21st track day at Putnam Park with Mark (MVP Track Time) who is also running the Lindsay Track Day in May (which I am also signed up for). I just need to make sure it isn't going to conflict with my final exam schedule! Would be great to have another V out there...it would by my first track day on something that isn't a straight line!

Ted

lunarx
02-11-08, 01:01 AM
Don't give up.
Exhausts can be joined with slip fits and clamps, like Corsa, Magnaflow, Zoomers, B&B, etc.

If anything the Vette muffler should sound good & make good power w/o bieng too loud.