: Dealer Flush

jevanof
02-09-08, 05:37 AM
I need my coolant system flushed and its to damn cold here in Michigan to do it your self, If I go to the dealer to have this done will I obtain a perfect coolant/ water ratio? will they automatically add the tables? Is there any advantage of going to a dealer with this and not a radiator shop? Should use dexcool?

Thanks for your help.

Submariner409
02-09-08, 10:18 AM
What car? What year? What mileage?

The dealer will be more expensive than a radiator shop. The tablets were dropped as a recommended supplement sometime after 2002 (my manual, '02, says to use them).

What's a perfect ratio? GM recommends anything between 50/50 and 70/30, and so does a DEXCOOL jug.

If the car was originally equipped with DEXCOOL, use it. Why not?

codewize
02-09-08, 11:18 AM
Do it yourself. Don't flush just drain and refill. It's an easy job on most of the cars. Additionally the dealer will not use distilled water, which I don't care what anyone says, the lack of minerals is better for the system, period.

If you have Dex then use Dex. If you don't have Dex then don't bother putting it in but I can't say I would ever recommend a 'flush' it's just a waste of time.

If the system is that contaminated or the radiator is clogged, replace it. Don't fool around with band aids.

That perfect 50/50 mix I think was also an original idea but has since become not so important.

jevanof
02-09-08, 08:54 PM
I just called the dealer and they want $130. I understand that flushing it is a wast of time but I live in Michigan and its 10 degrees. My car is a 98 STS and it has 110K miles, I just got it and I have no clue if it was ever done.

Submariner409
02-09-08, 09:20 PM
If you have the (Cadillac ?) dealer do a coolant change, yes, it's $130 +
add-ons, but then you have someone to go after in the event of ANY cooling problem. A dealer flush amounts to the FSM recommended coolant change : drain it out and refill it, using the tablets for your year.

Assuming the dealer does 98 skrillion coolant changes a year, your chances of problems are pretty slim.

jevanof
02-09-08, 10:14 PM
OK ,but maybe you dont understand my problem, its to cold out, I would rather hire this out.

stoveguyy
02-09-08, 10:48 PM
whats a few more months till it warms up? they say any wear inside your motor from using old oil can never be repaired by putting in new oil. if your cylinder walls or bearings are worn than metal can never be restored by any additive. same for your coolant. if your headgaskets or bolt threads are corroded by old coolant, than fresh coolant will not help. now if your coolant concentration is off cuz someone added water to top off the system than a refill will get it back to the proper ratio. plus fresh stuff will make you feel better.

Submariner409
02-09-08, 11:45 PM
He's not asking about problems or wear. He's asking about changing coolant at a dealer.

jevanof,...Per my second post, in not so many words, "Go ahead and have the dealer do it." If a Cad dealer doesn't know how to do it, we're all in trouble......and, if the dealer does it you have some sort of guarantee to fall back on.

codewize
02-10-08, 12:06 AM
Yeah if the temp is the problem just wait for warmer weather. If you don't feel that's a good idea then have the dealer do it. $130 isn't a bad deal I guess.

Although it's a warm and fuzzy I wouldn't bank on that 'someone to blame' idea. Try to prove a year from now that you blew a head gasket because of a bad coolant change.

But all in all if it needs to be done and it's not going to break the bank, have them do it.

Submariner409
02-10-08, 12:10 AM
Code........Maybe he'll get the "Golden 90" guarantee: 90 seconds or 90 feet, whichever occurs first :rolleyes:.

LCLCLC
02-10-08, 02:35 AM
I agree that if you think you have the mechanical ability to do it yourself, wait til warmer weather and do it yourself. A few additional thousand miles is not going to make any difference.

srx2005
02-10-08, 01:02 PM
Last fall my Cadillac dealer was offering the coolant service for $79.95 with a GM Goodwrench Service coupon. Enter your zip code at this web site and see if a nearby dealer is offering a special: www.goodwrench.com/Services

I have 2 Cadillacs and have most services performed by the dealer so the online specials/coupons save alot of money. I find that specials for various services (e.g. coolant, transmission, brakes, oil change, tire rotations) tend to recycle several times a year. So, I start checking the web site a couple of months before a service is due and time my visit to the dealer to correspond with the special price.

Ur7x
02-10-08, 01:47 PM
I agree that if you think you have the mechanical ability to do it yourself, wait til warmer weather and do it yourself. A few additional thousand miles is not going to make any difference.

LOL If you can make toast you have the mechanical ability to do it yourself!

LCLCLC
02-10-08, 08:30 PM
LOL If you can make toast you have the mechanical ability to do it yourself!

Hummmmmm....
Have you actually ever gotten to the radiator drain plug on a Northstar? It's not just 'right there at hand'. Have you removed the lower radiator hose on a Northstar, the other option on draining coolant? Same thing, it's not easy to reach either of these things. Speaking as someone that's done this on a 97 Deville.

codewize
02-10-08, 11:19 PM
Drop the front splash pan, about 2 minutes, then the drain plug is actually right there. I can unscrew it with my hand. Something a little tougher works better of course but you get the idea.

The lower hose is not nice to remove that's why we all recommend the tabs go in the upper hose. I did mine, complete job, first time with a little guidance from here and it took me less than 45 minutes.

I guess maybe the earlier models are more difficult OR you didn't know enough to remove the splash pan. The splash pan does have an access hole in it but it's a hell of a lot easier and less messy to remove the splash pan for the job.

Easy as toast :)

Hummmmmm....
Have you actually ever gotten to the radiator drain plug on a Northstar? It's not just 'right there at hand'. Have you removed the lower radiator hose on a Northstar, the other option on draining coolant? Same thing, it's not easy to reach either of these things. Speaking as someone that's done this on a 97 Deville.

Ur7x
02-11-08, 12:30 AM
Hummmmmm....
Have you actually ever gotten to the radiator drain plug on a Northstar? It's not just 'right there at hand'.

Why yes I have! As the "code man" mentions it is right at hand... You can get to it with a flat head screw driver and a pair of pliers. I do have a special trim tool that I got a NAPA for $5 which makes the job super easy.. but that is optional.

Have you removed the lower radiator hose on a Northstar, the other option on draining coolant? Same thing, it's not easy to reach either of these things. Speaking as someone that's done this on a 97 Deville.

As above, Yes I have, On my 2002 Seville the lower hose is also not hard to get to. There are three torx/allen key bolts that hold in the air box... If you can replace the air filter you are 2/3rds of the way there ;) Once that's out of the way you can get to the lower hose with common pliers... I've been there twice... Once to replace the coolant and once to replace the water pump cover (and the coolant). One 2002 the pump cover is a little harder as the AIR system is in the way.

Or as the "code" says put the tabs in the top hose.

There are jobs on this car that I would never DIY (like head gaskets) but (with the exception of the cabin filters) these cars are quite user serviceable.

LCLCLC
02-11-08, 03:26 AM
Yes, I know to drop the plastic bottom cover. On that 97 Deville, the radiator drain was still about 3 or so inches forward, with what I think was the main front crossmember below it. It has a raised 'tang' on it. A socket would not fit on it tightly enough to loosen it. I finally cut about 6 inches from a broom handle, sawed a wide slit that fit on the tang, and used vise grips on it to twist. Not exactly 'at hand'.

After beating up my hands trying to work in a narrow space leading down to the lower hose, I unbolted both top dog-legs, unbolted both fans and pulled them out, and then the hose was 'at hand'.

ewill3rd
02-11-08, 09:38 AM
There are advantages and disadvantages to doing it yourself and having it done.
Drain and refill will get most, but not all of the coolant. It will do little to remove any buildup inside the system, although sometimes the buildup is a good thing.
I don't have issues with drain and refill but there is nothing really wrong with a dealer flush service if done properly.
Most Cadillac radiator drains don't work very effectively... in fact most of the time... they break off when you try to turn them.
Our flusher has a large reservoir for new coolant and one for the used coolant. I fill the "new" one with a 50/50 mix. Yes I use tap water. Not the best, but it says on the back of the Dex Cool jug to use tap water. Mineral content varies by municipality. In some areas it could be a long term issue. Here we have fairly soft water.

N* has a reverse flow system that will trick most guys into not doing the flush right, a dealer should be prepared to do it properly.
Not sure if I answered your questions but there is some info you should be able to use.

Murphyg
02-12-08, 08:24 PM
I had mine flushed at the dealer.....after a plethora of questions that is.

All dealers are not aware of the tablets. I was told no,no,no,no,no, and in no way is it recommended or advised. That was until I showed them the sticker on the cowling under the hood that said Yes, Yes, Yes ! The manager looked into it, and then they added them as per GMs recommendations for my vehicle.

My car was originally equipped with Dex and still had Dex in it. So thats what they used.
As to the 50/50 with distilled water. I was told that the coolant for there flushing system/machine comes pre-mixed,(assumed it was distilled but didnt know for sure), in large tanks.
They do not mix it themselves on site. Im guessing that each dealership may be different about that depending on how busy/large they are, and what equipment they are using.

For 135 at the dealer, as long as done correctly for what your vehicle needs....that sounds like a fair deal.

codewize
02-13-08, 08:24 AM
That just amazes me. How the frig can they NOT know how to perform routine maintenance on a car that they service. The GM flagship car no less.

Ur7x
02-13-08, 02:45 PM
That just amazes me. How the frig can they NOT know how to perform routine maintenance on a car that they service. The GM flagship car no less.

Did I tell you my story about a small problem I was having with my CD stacker...

The service adviser told me that they won't work on aftermarket installs and GM never installed a stacker in these cars... I had to get out the owners manual and show her the "loading the stacker" section before she would look at the car....

Some dealers are really good...
Others not so much!

codewize
02-13-08, 04:29 PM
Although that's just as ridiculous, it's easier to believe. That's a option the specific person may not have been aware of.

The coolant thing is regular maintenance per the manual.

Murphyg
02-13-08, 08:38 PM
Im sure that there had to be "at least" one tech who was aware of the proper procedure. Seeing as its also written right under the hood on the cowling. Eventually your not gonna miss it. Especially if your looking at it all day, day in and day out.
But if the work order doesnt specify then the tech wont do it. When it comes down to a tech whos working his way up from tires to fluids etc.......They do what they are told. Cause thats there job.
Remember...this was the Service Manager that I was arguing with. And am quite sure that he hasnt had a speck of grease on his fingers in many years. If ever for that matter. Just a desk rider with an attitude cause he gets payed more and spends countless hours at seminars eating donuts and napping.
Not saying that they are all like that. But Id trust a Parts Managers' opinion and advice before a Service Managers'.

Ur7x
02-14-08, 12:19 PM
But Id trust a Parts Managers' opinion and advice before a Service Managers'.

AMEN!

codewize
02-14-08, 07:37 PM
:yeah::golden: