: Chrysler axes Viper

gothicaleigh
02-08-08, 06:59 PM
First, the separation from Daimler (the unfortunate host for this parasitic company), then the disappointing Challenger release, now they have decided to cancel the Viper in 2011...

Has Cerberus killed the Viper?

According to Jalopnik, yes. We reported yesterday that as a part of Project Genesis, Chrysler was planning to cut more models in addition to the PT Cruiser Convertible, Pacifica, Crossfire and Magnum. Jalopnik is reporting that, according to several of its sources, the decision has already been made that the Dodge Viper SRT10 will be cancelled, as well. The decision was reportedly made after Cerberus took control of Chrysler and was not part of the automaker's future product plans prior to its split with Daimler.

While the current 2008 Dodge Viper SRT10 just received an update for 2008 that includes a new version of its iconic V10 engine capable of producing 600 horsepower and a track-ready ACR model, it was only ever meant to be on the market for another two years until the fully redesigned next-gen Viper bowed. Since that's reportedly not going to happen, the Viper will reportedly be sold as is through the 2011 model year.

The Viper has never been a cheap car to build, being assembled by hand at the automaker's Connor Avenue Assembly Plant. The obvious argument for killing the halo car is that money spent on developing the next-generation Viper could go towards better interiors and more appealing designs for bread and butter models, the sales of which keep the lights on at the company's Auburn Hills, MI headquarters. The Viper, however, has always been more than just a halo car for Chrysler, it's been a symbol of what the company can do when it's firing on all cylinders. If this report is true, to see it cancelled indicates just how lean these times really are for Chrysler under its new management.

[Source: Jalopnik] http://www.autoblog.com/2008/02/08/has-cerberus-killed-the-viper/

Corvette owners found celebrating:
XOEq-ImGWJ0

Jesda
02-08-08, 07:06 PM
"it's been a symbol of what the company can do when it's firing on all cylinders"

So true, and since its barely ticking these days, the Viper will get the axe for good.

urbanski
02-08-08, 07:10 PM
welp, get in line for one now

HITMONEY
02-08-08, 07:17 PM
The 09 ACR is one mean machine.

thebigjimsho
02-08-08, 07:44 PM
As much as the Viper irritates me in the lack of day to day drivability, I can't say I'm glad to see it go. It certainly was a force on the track. Just another reason to laugh at the old DC company. Can't really blame Cerberus if the money is tight...

Stoneage_Caddy
02-08-08, 10:55 PM
GM builds viper killer corvette ....kills viper ....

Good news for me is that if this continues at chrysler maybe they will come out with a new dodge daytona like the old 84-93 daytonas ....and maybe even a new Aires K , Maybe Called the Aires L? ......

With a little luck theyll bring back the minivan ...I drove the new one ....there is nothing mini about it ...

seriously , chrysler "almost dies" every 20 something years , they build crap for 10 years getting out of the problem , then spend another 10 years builing good stuff , then die again ...

Somewhere Lee Iccocoa is smiling

dkozloski
02-09-08, 12:01 AM

Good news for me is that if this continues at chrysler maybe they will come out with a new dodge daytona like the old 84-93 daytonas ....and maybe even a new Aires K , Maybe Called the Aires L? ......

With a little luck theyll bring back the minivan ...I drove the new one ....there is nothing mini about it ...

seriously , chrysler "almost dies" every 20 something years , they build crap for 10 years getting out of the problem , then spend another 10 years builing good stuff , then die again ...

They were falling behind and going broke in the late '40s and '50s.

TexasCadillac
02-09-08, 02:06 AM

I remember 20 years ago when Lee Iacocoa saved Chrysler from going out of business. I never would have thought Oldsmobile would go out of business before Chrysler. It still puzzles me about Oldsmobile going out of Business. Americans should buy American cars. Foreign cars save money on gas but you lose the savings in higher priced auto parts. TexasCadillac

CIWS
02-09-08, 10:40 AM
Americans should buy American cars. Foreign cars save money on gas but you lose the savings in higher priced auto parts. TexasCadillac

American car makers need to continue on the road they are on and build a more reliable product and reduce their labor costs. Meanwhile continue to look at ways to improve gas mileage, but seek permanent solutions in alternatives to oil based fuel sources.

oUmlLqkUHd0

CadillacSTS42005
02-09-08, 11:42 AM
whats so bad about the Challenger???

lawfive
02-09-08, 11:49 AM
then the disappointing Challenger release
What's disappointing about the Challenger release; I haven't been keeping up. No stick shift, that's all I know.

HITMONEY
02-09-08, 11:51 AM
whats so bad about the Challenger???

Nothing.

"In matters of opinion, debate is pointless because you cannot account for taste."

:thumbsup:

CadillacSTS42005
02-09-08, 12:08 PM
i think the Camaro is better but the Challenger looks alot more like the old 70 than the Camaro to the 69....

93DevilleUSMC
02-09-08, 10:15 PM
I remember 20 years ago when Lee Iacocoa saved Chrysler from going out of business. I never would have thought Oldsmobile would go out of business before Chrysler. It still puzzles me about Oldsmobile going out of Business. Americans should buy American cars. Foreign cars save money on gas but you lose the savings in higher priced auto parts. TexasCadillac

When American cars start giving American buyers the quality we demand and deserve, we'll start buying them again. They're starting to give us our quality, and it's paying off for them.

Sandy
02-09-08, 11:11 PM
The new Viper is drop dead georgous. Hve you seen the hood? The tail ? The paint colors ?
Red, brighter than Corvettes, Dark Vivid Red, Hemi Orange, Snakeskin Lime, Black, Vivid Blue,
Vivid Teal Blue-Green, and Ultra Violet. Suede & leather seating. The car is a mastertpiece.
But few can afford it, and those that CAN afford it cannot suck their head outta BMW / M-B
showroom to even try anything else ! SAD.

thebigjimsho
02-10-08, 01:09 AM
whats so bad about the Challenger???It's got a small interior and weighs well north of 4000lbs. Add auto only and looks that are underwhelming, that's what's wrong with the Challenger...

Jesda
02-10-08, 05:59 AM
Snakeskin lime! Thats so obnoxious I think I could love it.

93DevilleUSMC
02-10-08, 06:23 AM
Snakeskin lime! Thats so obnoxious I think I could love it.

It sounds like some kind of axe bodywash or something like that.

Sandy
02-10-08, 10:51 PM
Go To

http://www.dodge.com/en/2008/viper/

and then up top to BUILD MY CAR and select Viper, to see it change colors.

Cadillacboy
02-11-08, 12:57 PM
TexasCadillac's a good point :)

Playdrv4me
02-11-08, 05:53 PM
Chrysler came closest to death in the mid to late 80's. It literally *SKATED* by on the back of the Minivan and the Jeep Cherokee.

So far, I see nothing wrong with what Cerberus/Jim Press have done to rescue the company yet AGAIN. They are trimming the fat wherever necessary to bolster the CORE products that are bread and butter sellers. Unfortunately some semi-nice product ends up being a casualty as the result. The Magnum and the Viper are probably the clearest examples of this. However, You simply can't be all things to all people, and what no one realizes, is that Jim Press would not have hunkered up with Chrysler and LEFT the almighty Toy for ANY amount of dough if he didn't have a CLEAR plan brewing in his head of how he was going to make this company profitable again and retain his position.

Just give it a chance, Chrysler will be back.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
02-11-08, 05:56 PM
Wow, that's surprising! But you gotta do what you gotta do to stay alive.

Playdrv4me
02-11-08, 05:59 PM
By the way, don't forget that a small percentage of these announcements are made merely as a strategic measure... i.e. to please investors and share-holders. There's along time left before 2011 for the Viper to suddenly "not die".

Destroyer
02-11-08, 10:24 PM
It's got a small interior and weighs well north of 4000lbs. Add auto only and looks that are underwhelming, that's what's wrong with the Challenger...But we can agree it looks better than a CTS right?.

AlBundy
02-11-08, 10:47 PM
Tru-dat.

gothicaleigh
02-12-08, 09:17 AM
But we can agree it looks better than a CTS right?.

If you live in the backwoods south maybe...
Muscle cars were big, powerful, and ugly. The challenger continues that tradition (well, it's comparatively big and ugly at least).

thebigjimsho
02-12-08, 09:19 AM
If you live in the backwoods south maybe... muscle cars were big, powerful, and ugly. The challenger continues that tradition (well, it's comparatively big and ugly at least).:true: