: Can SOMEONE Tell me what is wrong?

DMEYER07
02-08-08, 05:06 PM
Okay i'm very frustrated today has SUCKED. And to make things even better :banghead: I had to install a new battery for the '99 catera. I was short on time so i rushed the job. The positive made contact with the metal plate in the power distro box. I'm talking about that metal plate that several things are mounted to, all in the distro..

NOW: my tranny light is on, TC light is on and car idles HORRIBLE, and also will not accelerate much at all, not enough to move the car even..

Please please tell me it's just a fuse.. but i doubt that since i checked all fuses in the dc. box under hood, but none under dash yet...

HEEEEEEEELP

Thanks
-Dave

DMEYER07
02-08-08, 07:44 PM
BUMP.. no one? Come on here

sccatera97
02-08-08, 08:42 PM
Sounds light you may have grounded against the Engine control module. It is on the side closst to the battery. If you did, you are probably going to have to replace it.

DMEYER07
02-08-08, 09:06 PM
Sounds light you may have grounded against the Engine control module. It is on the side closst to the battery. If you did, you are probably going to have to replace it.

So that flate piece of metal that shit hooks up to is a ecm? Shit.. well thats what it was.. how much does that run?

-Dave

sccatera97
02-10-08, 06:56 PM
Here is a photo of the ECM:
http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg307/hhatyagle/100_0789.jpg
You shpuld be able to get one from a scrapyard for $50-$150.

DMEYER07
02-13-08, 11:02 AM
Found one, has to be shipped from michigan, $150.00. So before i order, Is what i'm describing typical with ECM Failure? TC Light on, Tranny Light ON, Almost no acceleration.

Thanks

-Dave

DMEYER07
02-13-08, 12:01 PM
Also do i have to have this thing flashed? or reprogramed or w/e?

I hope its the ecm, not some wiring or is there a fuse that could have blown to protect the ecm? I mean i grounded right to the ecm so i doubt it .

sccatera97
02-13-08, 07:29 PM
No, you don't have to have it flashed, it still has a chip. I would think that if it runs at all you are lucky. Before you order, their is a web site that has many scrap yards on line so check and see if you can find one closer and / or cheaper. The address is www.car-part.com . It will ask you for the make model, part you need and your location. I have found few things for my car this way. I will check and find out if there is an interchange for other years and see if I can find one near me. I know where several Cateras are.

sccatera97
02-13-08, 07:42 PM
It looks like you will need the ID number off the ECM before you can look it up. The ECM slides up out the holder. It appears from the interchange, that depending on the ID, a 1998 -2001 may work.

DMEYER07
02-14-08, 05:33 PM
Mine was mounted to a metal plate. It had 4 bolts / nuts holding it on to that plate, so i removed that, and the wires and now its just the ECM. So i'm really hoping that tomorrow i can just plug this new one in and it will work like new.

What are the chances that a wire, or some sensor, or anything for that matter else got damaged? I mean it was a split second medium-ish spark from the wrench directly contacting that metal plate the ecm mounts too.

Thanks so much,

-Dave

sccatera97
02-14-08, 06:42 PM
These are kind of weird acting cars sometimes. I hope that you are just lucky and that is all that happened. Hopefully, the ecm absorbed all the energy and that is all that is damaged. Most of the other sensors are fused but let hope.....

DMEYER07
02-18-08, 01:19 PM
I installed the new one, but now it just turns over, and sometimes starts for a quick second then turns off. Do i have to have this new one programed first?

sccatera97
02-18-08, 06:37 PM
I'm afraid that the anti theft is doing that. You may have to have the ECM and BCM (body control module) programed together. Let me check into it and I will let you know.

DMEYER07
02-22-08, 11:15 AM
I'm sorry this is so frustrating. I have no idea what the problem is, i'm not a mechanic i'm ****in 19 here.. I need my car, and i have no idea what's wrong with it. I've put the money into the ecm, and im still no further. I just don't want to invest the 100 for programming, the 60 for towing and still find out it isn't fixed and they want to charge me xxxx for some other bs..

-
Dave:banghead: