: Shooting here at city hall

Jesda
02-08-08, 02:14 AM
I'm currently at my office about a half mile from the scene.

Kirkwood is a cozy and friendly municipality (think of the TV show Family Ties, the Keaton family, and old neighborhoods with huge old trees). The place has a nice small-town atmosphere with a little downtown and a still-functioning passenger train station. The cops are nice, the city hall is an open door, and crime and taxes are low. Everyone I dealt with at city hall has been fantastic. I do my banking here too, just down the street from city hall and the KPD.

This isn't the kind of place where you think you need tons of security.

Mary Linehares, a teacher who lives about four blocks from City Hall, described the town as quiet and eclectic after walking down to the scene with her husband.

"It's like a small town in St. Louis," Linehares told The Associated Press. "You can call it Mayberry."

The city's Web site suggests the community, with many of its homes dating to the early 20th century, "has long been known for its down home charm, community pride, nationally recognized schools, vibrant business community, and its involved residents."

Mayor Swoboda has a bullet in his head and likely won't survive. Six are dead. All over parking tickets.

http://www.kmov.com/justposted/stories//M_IMAGE.1175910ab03.93.88.fa.d0.9e5a01d7.jpg
Shooter

http://www.kmov.com/justposted/stories//kmov_localnews_080207_gunshots.9d9f3598.html

gary88
02-08-08, 02:34 AM
I heard about that earlier tonight. That's pretty effed up.

eldorado99
02-08-08, 03:52 AM
That's really sad, some people are just nuts...

On the other hand I'm relieved you didn't Rick-Roll us with that link, that's what I was expecting.

BigJon
02-08-08, 11:30 AM
that sucks it crazy on how this world is going with the way people act over stuipd shit a very close friend of my family was killed back in july in troy michigan because the guy got fired and was mad... it like what in the world will we have to do carry a gun?

dkozloski
02-08-08, 01:17 PM
that sucks it crazy on how this world is going with the way people act over stuipd shit a very close friend of my family was killed back in july in troy michigan because the guy got fired and was mad... it like what in the world will we have to do carry a gun?
I do, everywhere I go.

Spyder
02-08-08, 01:23 PM
^ +1

NOT ON MY WATCH
02-08-08, 02:23 PM
Very sad. The loonies really seem to be ramping things up lately. Things are bound to get worse. Just today we hear about a girl at a Louisiana college who shot 2 fellow students and then killed herself. I think we need more responsible citizens of reasonable mind getting their concealed carry permits (assuming they pass mental health and criminal background checks). When I move to Oregon I'm getting my CCW permit.

I would encourage any of you like-minded individuals to get a CCW permit if your state allows - and if it doesn't allow it, work to change state law (NRA is a good place to start).

Also, I'd encourage any responsible gun owner to take any course they can afford: obviously starting with firearms safety, but go beyond that to defensive handgun, cqb, urban rifle, and vehicle defense. Of course, regular practice at a shooting range is critical.

I've found that the citizens of Texas have some especially nice classes available to them - many companies in other states will only allow LEO or military (current or former) to attend the higher-level cqb and urban rifle courses.