: Advice on leak detection kits please

codewize
02-08-08, 12:14 AM
I'm looking at buying a UV leak detection kit for oil / coolant. They're pretty inexpensive and will prevent a mechanic from lying to me.

Does anyone have any experience with them? What have you used or are they all pretty much the same.

This is one I came across
http://www.devildogtools.com/trle50wauvli.html

AJxtcman
02-08-08, 06:26 AM
I have to ask why?

codewize
02-08-08, 09:42 AM
I just want to know.

I have a small coolant leak somewhere, I think the crossover but I want to know before I take it somewhere. I just don't trust people

codewize
02-09-08, 10:20 AM
No one?

AJxtcman
02-09-08, 02:28 PM
Yes we use a similar product.
We use it for hard to find coolant leak. You know the ones we can smell, but see no traces of.

codewize
02-09-08, 04:33 PM
That's what I'm talking about :)

Yes we use a similar product.
We use it for hard to find coolant leak. You know the ones we can smell, but see no traces of.

tateos
02-11-08, 09:04 PM
I am in the midst of my HG project and when I cleaned off the block, head, and crossover surfaces yesterday, I was amazed at the amount of coolant residue I saw. I could see that the gaskets had begun to "collapse". It appeared that those gaskets had been leaking for awhile, but I never knew it, since I never saw or smelled anything. I would not want to change those crossover gaskets in the car - the bolts on the bottom right (especially) are pretty hard to get at.

codewize
02-12-08, 10:03 AM
I think the crossovers leak a lot and no one really knows. When I had my trans done the guy told me I had a bad coolant leak and that's the only place I can think by the way he described it.

Ur7x
02-15-08, 07:07 PM
If its the 2001 the gasket in the cross over are problematic (GM TSB) as is the gasket in the water pump cover (another TSB)... On my 2002 I started to smell coolant about 12 months ago... I figured... Looks like my 2002 is about to get added to the HG horror list... Nope... after some careful "under hood" sniffing it was coming from my water pump cover. dripping onto the hot tranny and evaporating... anyhoo one new "redesigned" cover, a gasket and some really tight to get to 10mm bolts/nuts/studs later and my leak was cured...

I suspect that this could be another source of HG problems... This leak was complete undetectable... Its only because I check my oil and coolant weekly that I caught it. If I didn't I would have probably ran the car until the check coolant level was on or until it over heated and then I would be in for a BIG expense!

codewize
02-17-08, 11:10 AM
Yup I'm aware of that. I'm sure it's one or both of those. I think the crossover is definitely suspect because I can see remnants of burned coolant rounding the front edge of it. However I never actually see it leaking and I never see fresh coolant.

Hence the reason I want to do a leak detection :) I just want to be able to go to the dealer and say hey, do this.