: Picked up my dad's C6 today.. One hell of an experience

Jon
02-07-08, 08:47 PM
I gotta say, this is probably going to be one of my most memorable birthdays. (I turned 22 today.)

My dad bought a '07 C6 3LT, Magnetic Ride, M6, Chromies, Nav, (car is fully loaded except for glass roof and auto) from Cleveland. I woke up at 3am after getting 2 hours of sleep. 4am this morning, we began our journey.

Well, for those that don't know, the north east area got hit by TWO huge snow storms. We had 2 feet of snow on our residential streets. It took us 20 minutes to get off our street. We drove my '96 Windstar. It kept getting stuck in the 2 feet of deep snow. We finally got it out onto the major roads, only to be greeted by about 1 foot of snow.

So from Toronto, we drove through Buffalo, Pensylvannia, to Ohio. The highways were all covered in snow from Toronto all the way to Ohio. We ended up getting to the dealership at 10:30am.

I had driven the whole way there. My van is on Goodyear Assurance TripleTreds, and let me say, I absolutely love these tires. It was like a tank on the highway. The ground was covered in wet snow and I was able to barrel down it at normal highway speeds. We did get delayed for a while in Toronto when we got stuck behind snow plows.

Anyway, we get to the dealer, and check this out :D
I thought the front looked kinda neat :p
http://www.jon04ctsv.com/images/IMG_1734.jpg

So we pick up the car and it all goes very well. They ended up having to reprogram the 2nd key fob which took them A WHOLE HOUR.

We left the dealership at 1:20pm and had to make it to the border before 4pm. It is 340kms (210 miles) away. US customs closes at 4pm, which is why we had to be there.

Anyway, we gas up and then go:
http://www.jon04ctsv.com/images/IMG_1737.jpg
http://www.jon04ctsv.com/images/IMG_1736.jpg

Since the roads were so shitty on our way there, we weren't sure if we would be able to make it back. The Vette rides on Goodyear Eagle F1 summer performance tires.

So our plan was... I'll drive faster than my dad to get ahead. This way, we'd drive as far as we could, and if the roads got bad, I'd call him and tell him to get off the highway. Luckily, it was clear and mostly dry the whole way back to the border.

So here I am in my Windstar trying to cover 210 miles in 2.5 hours. Some how I actually get there with 10 minutes to spare, including 1 washroom break on the side of the road, LOL.

Almost got nailed by a speed trap too, but luckily I saw him from far away.

Anyway, I get to the US customs and beg them to wait 25 minutes for my dad to get here, since he did not drive as fast. Thankfully, they waited. We crossed back into Canada around 5.

At this point I was feeling really really sick since I was on 2hrs of sleep and hadn't eaten a thing yet. Not only that, the trip to Ohio was stressful because of all the snow on the ground, and the trip back had been stressful since I was constantly looking ahead for cops.

I finally had a chance to eat, and napped for 10 minutes before we headed back home. My dad's Vette is now back and covered in salt!

Sorry for the long story, but it was just such a crazy experience. Even though it was really stressful, I had a great time, and my dad brought home his dream car! By the way, his silver CTS has now been demoted to his winter car :(

The Tony Show
02-07-08, 08:51 PM
Great story, Jon! :thumbsup:

Glad to see everything worked out.

Jon
02-07-08, 08:54 PM
Great story, Jon! :thumbsup:

Glad to see everything worked out.
Thanks agian for all your help Tony.

The guys at the dealer were very friendly. The sales person I dealt with was not there. Apparently they had some problems with him. The sales manager was actually his older brother. We dealt with him there and it was very pleasant. Everyone seemed very honest. I have no idea why it was so difficult last week. Oh well, it's all done now!

gary88
02-07-08, 09:01 PM
Beautiful vette, one of the best looking colors.

Oh and happy bday

RightTurn
02-07-08, 09:04 PM
:nanaparty: :bdmuffin: :nanaparty:

:nik: :nik: :nik: :nik: :nik: :nik: :nik: :nik:

Happy Birthday Jon!!

The car is sa-weeeeeet. :drool:

Benzilla
02-07-08, 10:39 PM
Hey, happy birthday! Mines coming up on the 10th.

Badass looking car by the way.

MauiV
02-07-08, 10:54 PM
Is the lake not frozen?

Its a much shorter drive.

BigJon
02-08-08, 12:01 AM
happy birthday!!!

nice looking vette

Jesda
02-08-08, 01:54 AM
I DIG IT

Wish my 22nd was that cool :)

kbevere
02-08-08, 08:35 AM
Nice Vette, but i would have never drove it in the snow. I would of waited for a nice day. to sweet of a ride to drive and get all dirty on it first day out...

Cadillacboy
02-08-08, 03:27 PM
Great car and I like that color as well
Happy Birthday !

Florian
02-08-08, 04:40 PM
Is the lake not frozen?

Its a much shorter drive.

nope, I wake up and see it every day..still no ice.

F

MauiV
02-09-08, 12:13 AM
That f'in Al Gore. Its all his fault.

The internet was a MUCH better invention than this globl warming crap.

CTS_FAN
02-09-08, 03:31 AM
Awesome Vette! I was in Buffalo last week and the weather SUCKED! I can't believe you were able to drive a new Vette through that!!

TomDeville
02-09-08, 02:04 PM
Happy Belated Birthday Jon!! Looks like
an 'excellent adventure'. White knuckle
snow driving is triple stressful.

Dollar parity is quite a bonus for us Canucks
these days; got myself a sweet new hot tub
from Orlando as direct consequence. U.S. pricing
is significantly lower, NAFTA (free trade)
negates the duty as well; and, freight
charges were nominal (same as a local delivery).

In any event, The Big Question is: Will Dad let
you bomb around in his sweet new toy come Spring?

Best Regards,

TomDeville:cool2:
:cool2::cool2:

Jon
02-09-08, 03:35 PM
Thanks for all the comments and b-day wishes everyone :)

Yes, it's a very nice car, and yes, I do have a set of keys to it. I got a chance to drive it yesterday, very cool! However, call me crazy, but I prefer my CTS-V :D

theloanman219
02-10-08, 07:32 PM
Crazy! Happy belated B-day! Sweet car. He should have worked the shipping into the price from the dealer. That is what I did. That is a long way to go in 2 feet of snow for a car that is not meant for snow. Anyways.....It is a bad a$$ car but I love my car and wouldn't trade it for the world.

Gene

Jon
02-10-08, 08:50 PM
Crazy! Happy belated B-day! Sweet car. He should have worked the shipping into the price from the dealer. That is what I did. That is a long way to go in 2 feet of snow for a car that is not meant for snow. Anyways.....It is a bad a$$ car but I love my car and wouldn't trade it for the world.

Gene
The roads were all clear when we here heading back. Only the street I lived on had 2 feet of snow. The rest of the roads were under a foot. It was the drive there that we had to deal with snow :)

theloanman219
02-10-08, 09:15 PM
Well thats good. I would have hated to hear the opposite from you. I bet he can't wait to open that bad boy up! Race him for Pinks will ya. :) Congrats

Jon
02-13-08, 11:49 AM
Forgot to mention... BIG THANK YOU to nutzabout_v and his friend for looking at the car before my dad bought it. They took the time to go to the dealer and make sure everything was ok and gave us the green light. They even washed the car in the service bay!

P.S. He's the guy making the rear-diff casing for us too!

Nutz
02-13-08, 04:48 PM
:thumbsup: