Hello,
I am having problems with my 98 Catera,It ran great last night
after I spent the day flushing out the cooling system. Now this
morning It will not start. As if it is getting no gas so I checked
the fuel pressure a the valve, with a very smal amount of pressure
and trickle of gas came out.
Could this be a problem with the pump relay,
filter, or a bad pump?
How can I troubleshoot it to try to find the problem?
Can someone help. My husband wants to take it to a shop,
But I would rather try to fix it myself, if I can get some help
in this area..

Thanks

Po Pimp
02-07-08, 10:15 PM
I don't know why but everytime I hear it cranks but won't start it make me think of the Crank Position Sensor (CPS). These are trouble some on these particular cars. I will post again as to how to go about checking it. Normally these will flip a code but with the car not running at all it is not feesible to run it down to Auto Zone/Advanced for a free scan.

It could very well be a fuel system malfunction.

It could also be a wiring issue in the security system. The security system actually allows you a couple of starts once something is malfunctioning, not sure why. I had a problem like this. The wierd thing about it was that if I locked the doors and entered with the key it would start but immediatly die. If this is your problem it will have to go to the dealership. Federal mandates do not allow the aftermarket to make these diagnosic items until x amount of years.

Anything else to go on in the way of information? Anything weird with the coolant change, did you do anything else...?

Po Pimp
02-07-08, 10:25 PM
I guess when I looked back over the service manual I realized how useless it was in the case.

The below is a link to how to change the CPS. You could actually do as he said and buy a new one plug it in, see if it works. If not screw it and return it.

How to change your CPS (www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-catera-cimarron-forum/67854-98-catera-crankshaft-position-sensor-replacement.html)

Further diagnosing of other components will get rather technical so you maybe better off to take it to the shop for this even if you fix it yourself.