: So You Think You're Tough!

dkozloski
02-07-08, 02:11 PM
How long do you think you'd last in the Yukon Quest. It's a thousand mile dogsled race from Fairbanks to Whitehorse. This is not the women's race to Nome known as the Iditarod. This is the men's race. It gets underway this weekend and temperatures on the trail are expected to reach -70F.

http://www.yukonquest.com/

If you want to play games in the far north you'd better know what the hell you're doing.

joee5
02-07-08, 02:30 PM
How's bout I toss them dogs in the back of me lade and I'll drive. Just so long as I can get gas every 215 miles or so, I dont suspect I'd have any problems.

Spyder
02-07-08, 02:53 PM
Betchour cadillac wouldn't make it the first twenty five miles...

dkozloski
02-07-08, 02:53 PM
How's bout I toss them dogs in the back of me lade and I'll drive. Just so long as I can get gas every 215 miles or so, I dont suspect I'd have any problems.
The race takes place hundreds of miles from the nearest road. Race support is done with aircraft.

gothicaleigh
02-07-08, 04:39 PM
How long do you think you'd last in the Yukon Quest. It's a thousand mile dogsled race from Fairbanks to Whitehorse. This is not the women's race to Nome known as the Iditarod. This is the men's race. It gets underway this weekend and temperatures on the trail are expected to reach -70F.

If you want to play games in the far north you'd better know what the hell you're doing.

That sounds just like what I would want to do with my spare time.
No thanks. :p

dkozloski
02-07-08, 04:41 PM
That sounds just like what I would want to do with my spare time.
No thanks. :p
It's amazing to me the number of people that move to this area from all over the world just to train and participate in this race.

SvB4EvA
02-07-08, 04:56 PM

Maybe every 115 miles, with all that tire spinning. :lol:

Jesda
02-08-08, 06:21 AM
I absolutely do not think I am tough.

In fact, I am a big fat wussy.

BigJon
02-08-08, 11:35 AM
thats just crazy i dont think i'd even want to stand in -70F weather let alone ride in it... props for them, for sure.

xshrpshtr
02-08-08, 12:39 PM
I recently had to try to work in -22f temps here in Wyoming with 10-20 mph winds. If you breathe through your mouth you instantly cough. Going to the ends of the earth mushing dogs in those temps are for days gone by for me. I'm looking for a warmer place to live and try to enjoy whats left of my life. Doesn't look like it is in the cards for me though. The market crashed right after starting a business. I'm going under...to where? Not the wilds of Alaska. I know that.

dkozloski
02-08-08, 01:15 PM
I recently had to try to work in -22f temps here in Wyoming with 10-20 mph winds. If you breathe through your mouth you instantly cough. Going to the ends of the earth mushing dogs in those temps are for days gone by for me. I'm looking for a warmer place to live and try to enjoy whats left of my life. Doesn't look like it is in the cards for me though. The market crashed right after starting a business. I'm going under...to where? Not the wilds of Alaska. I know that.
There's lots of work here for a good man.

HITMONEY
02-08-08, 07:29 PM
eh, I'm sure "Survivorman" could do this with a pocket knife, a broken snow shovel, and the lining out of a Maxi Pad.. whilst carrying his own camera equipment.

:alchi:

:)

dkozloski
02-08-08, 09:08 PM
The Irondog snow machine race also starts tomorrow. 2000 miles across the most rugged territory in North America and there are no roads. Wasilla to Nome to Fairbanks. http://www.irondog.org/ The Governor's hubby has won this thing and is one tough SOB.

93DevilleUSMC
02-09-08, 11:18 PM

My effing dream vacation!

MauiV
02-09-08, 11:41 PM
Can I use this dog? I dont think the rest of the dogs would finish.

dkozloski
02-09-08, 11:45 PM
The dogs used in the race are the finest trained athletes in the world. They'll run 20 MPH hour after hour and day after day. They'll finish a thousand mile race in 10 days.

MauiV
02-10-08, 12:01 AM
I have owned Huskeys in the past. If they see the light of day they break for it and the only way to get mine back were to get in the car, drive around and open the door.

The only thing they liked better than running was a car ride.

I just saw a thing on the History Channel about the dogs that made the trip to Nome, most amazing was the team that did 300 miles strait.

Unless there is a warm bed at a Four Seasons or Ritz waiting on me nightly, I dont think I will be making the trek. Thats what planes were invented for.

Sandy
02-10-08, 12:15 AM
I'm a wimp. Age 61. Been very sick, recently. I have to stay inside on days when the wind blows more than 20 MPH, or I could go over. I'm as tough as mashed potatoes.