: Switched from firefox to opera...couldn't be happier.

nikon
02-07-08, 12:14 AM
Well, never realized how big of a resource hog firefox was now that I'm running opera. Really amazing and all the features that you had to add with plugins with FF are built into opera....can kinda notice a difference in speed on my desktop but on my old P3 laptop you can really notice the difference....either way just thought I'd give ya a headsup, it's worth the switch.

www.opera.com

gary88
02-07-08, 12:28 AM
I'll give it a try, Firefox has been loading pages awkwardly for me lately.

gary88
02-07-08, 12:47 AM
Me likey so far. I didn't think you could have more screen space than firefox offers, but I guess you can. Is there any way to display a home button in one of the toolbars though?

JC316
02-07-08, 01:40 AM
I can't stand Opera, I love firefox. Of course, Firefox works for me and I have a Q6600@ 3.7GHZ, so that could be it.

gothicaleigh
02-07-08, 12:40 PM
I can't stand Opera, I love firefox. Of course, Firefox works for me and I have a Q6600@ 3.7GHZ, so that could be it.

Q6700 Kentsfield here. Opera>Firefox :yup:

AMGoff
02-07-08, 12:57 PM
I've never been able to get into Opera... it just has too many quirks for me, I've never been able to get it to do exactly what I want. With that said, I know several people who swear by it.

On the other hand, I've always felt FireFox is entirely overrated... I've never seen the appeal. I keep a copy of it but it rarely gets launched more than once or twice a year.

Safari handles 90% of my day-to-day browsing just fine.... for all the other times, SeaMonkey fits the bill perfectly.

SvB4EvA
02-07-08, 01:07 PM
Opera is great... and if any of you have smartphones... opera mini is the brower to use. Its is really the only reason i use the internet on my Windows Mobile phone. IE is soooooo bad and slow.

this post is from my phone BTW :D

AMGoff
02-07-08, 01:12 PM
Opera is great... and if any of you have smartphones... opera mini is the brower to use. Its is really the only reason i use the internet on my Windows Mobile phone. IE is soooooo bad and slow.

this post is from my phone BTW :D

I could say the same for Safari... :yup:

I just posted this from my phone too!

Lord Cadillac
02-07-08, 01:15 PM
I've been using Safari as well. It's fast and does everything I need it to. I actually like Firefox a lot! But Safari integrates with things so nicely - like the iPhone, for example. With the Mac, everything is somehow connected to another. Everything works and I'm enjoying the experience.. Opera is a nice browser too...

dkozloski
02-07-08, 01:27 PM
IE7 is entirely trouble free and efficient for me. I have no problems with viruses, adware, spyware, trojans, or any other nuisance. I use a wireless router as a firewall, Norton AV, and Windows Defender which give me complete protection without even having to think about it. I can't recall the last time I had to pay any attention at all to internet parasite issues. With automatic background updates everything takes care of itself.

gary88
02-07-08, 02:21 PM
Internet Explorer is the Cimmaron of web browsers

Playdrv4me
02-07-08, 02:53 PM
I fixed your thread title to FROM, sorry, it was bugging the shit out of me.

JC316
02-07-08, 02:53 PM
Q6700 Kentsfield here. Opera>Firefox :yup:

Nice! I am running the G0 Kentsfield chip too, gotta love em.

Cadillacboy
02-07-08, 05:15 PM
Opera is a reliable one .Well,I still mostly use IE7 though

RippyPartsDept
02-07-08, 05:33 PM
the only reason i use ffx over opera is because of the extensions
yeah a lot of extension functionality is default in opera, but i want to pick and choose the ones that i want
and a lot of the ones i use are not in opera
bugmenot
coralize
customize google
greasemonkey
nuke anything
forecast fox (enhanced)
imageshack extension
gresemonkey
context search (is this built into opera?)
and i really like the UI of the all-in-one sidebar extension

anywho...
yeah opera is my second choice

nikon
02-07-08, 07:44 PM
well, second day using it and so far the only snag I've hit is that it doesn't have a nifty inline spell checker like FF.....but, I guess I can just learn to spell better :p

nikon
02-07-08, 07:44 PM
I fixed your thread title to FROM, sorry, it was bugging the shit out of me.

what'd it say before??

SvB4EvA
02-08-08, 07:41 PM
well, second day using it and so far the only snag I've hit is that it doesn't have a nifty inline spell checker like FF.....but, I guess I can just learn to spell better :p

yea, i love that about FF. My spelling has improved dramatically because of it. Sweet, I just spelled "dramatically" on the first try! :alchi:

caddycruiser
02-09-08, 12:09 AM
I've now tried Opera 3 times, and continued to have issues with pages not loading correctly, as in, the first time I went on a page it would save it in that iteration...and still show that same version/update the next time I loaded it (i.e., it never refreshed), it had a Bookmark setup that drove me nuts, etc.

It's not bad...but there's many things that I just couldn't stand, and even after asking, couldn't change.

So, still on Firefox for many, many years. The ONLY issue I ever have with it is some specific pages that don't show/print 100% correctly as they do with IE, but that's a minor and rare occurrence.

JoCan
02-09-08, 05:41 AM
I've use a OLD desktop. Windows 98 with a P3 and Opera is the only browser I can use with Myspace.

All the others lock up.

SvB4EvA
02-09-08, 11:32 AM
I've now tried Opera 3 times, and continued to have issues with pages not loading correctly, as in, the first time I went on a page it would save it in that iteration...and still show that same version/update the next time I loaded it (i.e., it never refreshed), it had a Bookmark setup that drove me nuts, etc.

It's not bad...but there's many things that I just couldn't stand, and even after asking, couldn't change.

So, still on Firefox for many, many years. The ONLY issue I ever have with it is some specific pages that don't show/print 100% correctly as they do with IE, but that's a minor and rare occurrence.

Yea... I use Opera on my phone, and it is flawless... But I tried it on desktop too... Lasted about 30 seconds before I was back in FF. I came to the forums here and couldnt even log in, pages wouldnt load properly either. Weird.

caddycruiser
02-09-08, 03:05 PM
Yea... I use Opera on my phone, and it is flawless... But I tried it on desktop too... Lasted about 30 seconds before I was back in FF. I came to the forums here and couldnt even log in, pages wouldnt load properly either. Weird.

Yes! I'm not the only one.

I never could figure out what was going on...but the one big thing is how it seemed to save pages, and whenever I'd come on a site like this again, the newest posts I'd see were exactly what they were the last time I was on and had to play with refreshing it.

That, and the bookmarks layout didn't work nearly as well as Firefox for me, so away it went...3 times.

I've also tried Safari (the one from Apple) and it isn't bad, but ALSO has bizarre loading issues and other weird things, just like Opera. Resource hog or not, I've yet to use anything that worked as well for me as Firefox...and then IE once in a blue moon ONLY for weird pages were Firefox doesn't show/print them properly.

nikon
02-09-08, 03:36 PM
well went back to FF on my desktop...the old laptop though seems to do better with opera.....I really missed the in-line spell checker :p

oh well...and I tried opera for my ppc and really thought it sucked...just me?

SvB4EvA
02-09-08, 07:49 PM
well went back to FF on my desktop...the old laptop though seems to do better with opera.....I really missed the in-line spell checker :p

oh well...and I tried opera for my ppc and really thought it sucked...just me?

Opera Mini 4.0?? The BESTTTTTT, i have tried every damn browser i could find on my smartphone.

Try mini 4.0. I used the version prior to 4.0, it was bleh... ok at best, but 4.0? WOOOOOOOOOOOOOO :worship::worship::worship::thumbsup::thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Or maybe its because u have a PPC and not a smartphone? i dunno, i know the software is different tho

nikon
02-09-08, 07:55 PM
^^ ya for mine it was opera mobile...not mini...agreed mini is damn good, had it on my krzr.