: Pop-ups are going to drive me to drugs

Dadillac
02-06-08, 06:18 PM
I need some help ASAP. Yesterday I started getting some pretty annoying pop-ups on the pc. I have been virtuay pop-up free for a very lng time. I ran a virus scan, and also an Ad-Aware scan. Yat the pop-ups still are coming. I tried finding a free spyware program, with no success. Every one of them says that they are free, until you install them, run a scan, and then find out they have thier hands out looking for $. They should just say that upfront. So can anyone help? I am looking for a website that can give me a free version of spyware. Or, for someone to tell me why I should pay for one. My pc is beyond sluggish and I really just want to bring it out to the driveway and run it over, buy a new pc, and start over. Please help before I start taking illegal pills :eek:.

Don

Lord Cadillac
02-06-08, 06:22 PM
http://www.safer-networking.org/index2.html

urbanski
02-06-08, 06:29 PM
i love these sites, too
http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/programs.php
http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm

and of course, the real cure to popups and spyware is Firefox

AMGoff
02-06-08, 06:33 PM
http://store.apple.com

gary88
02-06-08, 08:08 PM
Download Firefox. Problem solved. I've forgotten about pop-ups until this thread.

dkozloski
02-06-08, 08:14 PM
Windows Defender is free and takes care of the problem. You'll find it a www.microsoft.com

Ranger
02-06-08, 08:38 PM
Firefox seems to do the job quite well. Now if I could just keep this goddamn Kontera link disabled on this site I'd be a lot better off.

Rolex
02-06-08, 09:21 PM
http://store.apple.com

:yeah:

Get a MAC

codewize
02-06-08, 09:51 PM
OK First off, other than going to Mac or an alternate browser try this stuff

Before you begin turn off system restore. Additionally some of these tools need to be run in safe mode, they'll tell you.

Install Google Toolbar
http://toolbar.google.com

My tools of choice are, depending on what you have.

Download and run;
CCleaner
SpyBot S&D
ComboFix
Look2Me remover (Kill2me)
Outerinfo Remover OiUninstaller.exe
Virtumundue removers VundoFix.exe and VirtumundoBeGone.exe

and of course HiJackThis - Not for the light of heart, This tool is awesome for removing browser HiJacks but it can also destroy your system if you remove something you need. It doesn't know the difference between good and bad it just shows you all running objects.

These are tools I successfully use professionally all the time

MauiV
02-06-08, 11:26 PM
<<Also runs Google toolbar with 4388 blocks currently.

None of my spyware and clean up programs were nearly as effective.

They only one that seems to sneak through is the occasional Netflix one.

dkozloski
02-07-08, 12:05 AM
Windows Defender that was coded and released by Microsoft for free, works perfectly to address this problem.

http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/spyware/software/default.mspx

No need to reinvent the wheel or adopt extreme measures. For people with a flair for the dramatic it may be too simple and effective.

P-Funk
02-07-08, 12:00 PM
Windows Defender is good. I also use Adaware.

NOT ON MY WATCH
02-07-08, 12:08 PM
Make sure that after you clean things up that you stop visiting p*rn sites. :kari3:

:duck:

Lord Cadillac
02-07-08, 12:27 PM
Microsoft's Windows Defender worked well for me as well. In fact, I replaced Spybot with it and never had any complaints...

AMGoff
02-07-08, 01:41 PM
Microsoft's Windows Defender worked well for me as well. In fact, I replaced Spybot with it and never had any complaints...

Personally, I'd have trouble using something from the same company who caused the problem to begin with.

dkozloski
02-07-08, 02:07 PM
Personally, I'd have trouble using something from the same company who caused the problem to begin with.
From time to time Microsoft admits their mistakes and goes back to correct them. Others could learn from this example.

ewill3rd
02-07-08, 02:15 PM
It seems to me Microsoft's product isn't the source of the problem but the target for people who feel they have to attack "the corporations".
I use windows live onecare and haven't had problems since I started, defender is built into it.

The guy on the radio says that Nod 32 is the best thing out there. I have never tried it.
I think you can get it for free... with a cost later.
Yeah, this link has a 30 day trial...

http://www.eset.com/download/index.php

SvB4EvA
02-07-08, 03:57 PM

Get a MAC

:vomit::vomit::vomit::vomit::vomit:

RippyPartsDept
02-07-08, 04:41 PM
if spybot search and destroy doesn't clean it up as lord Cadillac linked at first, then you're path of least resistance is probably going to be a re-install of windows
the 1.5 version of spybot has the system settings 'tea timer' built in to install by default (i don' really like it and uncheck it at install, but for people who get infected a lot it seems to help)

AMGoff
02-07-08, 05:44 PM
It seems to me Microsoft's product isn't the source of the problem but the target for people who feel they have to attack "the corporations".
I use windows live onecare and haven't had problems since I started, defender is built into it.

The guy on the radio says that Nod 32 is the best thing out there. I have never tried it.
I think you can get it for free... with a cost later.
Yeah, this link has a 30 day trial...

http://www.eset.com/download/index.php

Ah... but you see, my problem is largely with the product, not the company per se... a poor product is a poor product - it doesn't matter whether it's a piece of software, a car, or anything else. In this case, the product is ultimately the source of the problem, in that it's a bloated, poorly written cluster-f of code with an arcane foundation that shares a striking resemblance with swiss-cheese.

They have shown that they are capable of doing some things right, such as Office... it may be equally as bloated, but then again most modern, commercial software is. Nevertheless, it is a decent application... it's just a shame all of their stuff isn't like that.

With that said... even a company like Apple leaves me perplexed and wanting every now and then - just not with their system software.

Dadillac
02-07-08, 06:40 PM
UPDATE

I tried a few of the suggested programs with no succes. So I figured I would try a system restore. The restore will only let me go back 5 days to Feb 2nd. I tried that date and it says that I cannot restore to that point. The next date was Feb 4th. Again it said I cannot restore t that point. What the hell happened to my computer? Nothing has happened on here different than normal (that I know of. 4 people use his computer). Doing a complee Windows restore may be my only option. But that is a lot of work. Lots of programs and devices to do over, as well as three iPods. Any advice?

Don

Dadillac
02-07-08, 07:36 PM
Update

I did a google on a suspect file, and found a program called Security Task Manager. I downloaded it, and it showed suspect files. I quarantined them, and so far, no pop-ups, and the computer is running almost normal again. I will keep my fingers crossed on this one.

Don

ewill3rd
02-07-08, 08:33 PM
AMG, I'd agree for sure it is bloated, but it works for me.

I can almost guarantee there are hundreds of lines of windows 3.1 code still in this OS somewhere. I'd agree if they redid it they could probably trim the fat and make it work better and leaner on today's machines... too much money though.

Not saying it is perfect... it just works for me.

Glad to hear you found a way to make some progress Dad, let us know if it acts up again!

codewize
02-07-08, 08:52 PM
I apologize, they're so commonplace I forgot to include. AdAware is a must and so is MS Defender. They are also included in my arsenal and yes they do the job well but not when things get boned up. They're great preventative tools but not great and not complete for cleanup.

RippyPartsDept
02-08-08, 09:35 AM
Doing a complee Windows restore may be my only option. But that is a lot of work. Lots of programs and devices to do over, as well as three iPods.

The need for frequent windows re-installs is why i have my systems set up with either a partitioned hard drive, or separate hard drive for all my data. Keeping your data separate from your OS is key when using windows, since you'll eventually have to do a re-install and that requires a format.

and then there's ghost setups and such

codewize
02-08-08, 09:42 PM
I don't understand that concept. I keep workstations on my desk for 5 to 6 years and have never ever in my life had to reinstall an OS.

If you have the need to reinstall that often then you're either not keeping things updated, you're running inferior hardware or you're just flat out breaking stuff.

dkozloski
02-08-08, 10:06 PM
I don't understand that concept. I keep workstations on my desk for 5 to 6 years and have never ever in my life had to reinstall an OS.

If you have the need to reinstall that often then you're either not keeping things updated, you're running inferior hardware or you're just flat out breaking stuff.
Do a little system maintenance once in a while.

codewize
02-08-08, 10:32 PM
I think you're agreeing with me? Thank you

Do a little system maintenance once in a while.

ewill3rd
02-09-08, 06:54 AM
I used to have to do a total blowout and reinstall of windows at least once a year.
That was when I was gaming and downloading anything I could find on the web.
I haven't had to do a reinstall since I got XP on this machine at home, or any of the 3 I built for work.
Nor since I put MCE 2005 on my entertainment system PC.
I run live one care on all of them. However I don't use my computers for entertainment as I once did. Rarely do I have time to play games or download stuff from the web. Mostly they just sit and download the windows updates.
All I really know is that out of the 8 PCs that I own and maintain, none of them are the least bit unstable and rarely do I have to mess with them... if ever.

I'd also agree that they key is to keep the stuff away, prevent it from getting on the computer in the first place. Prevention is much easier than the cure.

Dadillac
02-09-08, 02:39 PM
ANOTHER UPDATE:

I couldn't keep the pop-ups away. Through using a few spyware programs, I found three suspect files, that will not clear out. So I switched my browser from IE to Fire Fox. So far no pop-ups, and the computer is running fast again.

Questions; Seems that the affected files are hooked to IE. By leaving these files in my computer, is this harmful? Will they eventually find thier way into Fire Fox? How should I go about ridding myself of these files that will not go away with Ad-Aware, McAfee anti-virus, Windows Defender, Security Task Manager, and System Spyware Interrogater? Thanks

Don

dkozloski
02-09-08, 03:04 PM
ANOTHER UPDATE:

I couldn't keep the pop-ups away. Through using a few spyware programs, I found three suspect files, that will not clear out. So I switched my browser from IE to Fire Fox. So far no pop-ups, and the computer is running fast again.

Questions; Seems that the affected files are hooked to IE. By leaving these files in my computer, is this harmful? Will they eventually find thier way into Fire Fox? How should I go about ridding myself of these files that will not go away with Ad-Aware, McAfee anti-virus, Windows Defender, Security Task Manager, and System Spyware Interrogater? Thanks

Don
Consult an IT professional. This is simple stuff for them.

MauiV
02-09-08, 03:18 PM
Try AVG free edition to clean your puter up then use the google tool bar with pop up blocker.

That cleaned up the last abortion on mine.

HITMONEY
02-09-08, 03:43 PM

Get a MAC

cvXZVJXIyqM

No matter how many times I have seen this, it's always good for a laugh.

codewize
02-09-08, 04:34 PM
Send it to me. I'll fix up here and send it back there.

codewize
02-09-08, 04:39 PM
Hit, that is friggin funny. Thanks for the laugh

No matter how many times I have seen this, it's always good for a laugh.

ewill3rd
02-10-08, 01:03 PM
The most worthless advice I have seen so far is "get a Mac".
Okay fine, so Macs are great, Macs aren't targets for hackers, whatever.

The problem is this, the guy has a problem with his current computer and he needs to fix it.
Telling someone to uproot their whole computer life, invest a couple grand into buying a new machine and tranferring all their data and applications to a non-pc etc. etc... is just... well... retarded.

That would be like me going around the Cadillac forum answering every question with "buy a Ford".
Maybe getting a Mac would prevent more issues than the OP has to deal with, but it doesn't SOLVE the problems he currently has.

By the way, that video had me laughing pretty good.
PC's ain perfect, but they work fine for me, more power to you Mac guys, but how about some REAL answers?

Dad, did you try nod 32 yet?

codewize
02-10-08, 03:55 PM
I was serious when I send send it to me and I'll fix it. I do this stuff all day long and make a pretty good living doing it.

It's all about finesse and patience.

dkozloski
02-10-08, 04:13 PM
I was serious when I send send it to me and I'll fix it. I do this stuff all day long and make a pretty good living doing it.

It's all about finesse and patience.
Exactly right. There is no magic bullet but a careful examination and analysis will disclose what the problems are and what the remedy is. The shotgun approach seldom gets the job done.

codewize
02-10-08, 10:26 PM
I'm actually into networking for almost 14 years now but for some reason I end up doing a lot of this type of work. In my opinion, any person claiming to be an IT professional should be able to clean a PC. If they can't they're not worth their weight in salt. Anyone who takes the format and reinstall approach should get out of the business because they're not helping anyone.

I'm not saying I know everything, because I certainly don't, but I have the means to research and learn about the things I need help with. Thus providing me with a talent that many IT people lack these days.

I get things done, right, the first time :)

ewill3rd
02-11-08, 08:57 AM
I'd agree that a trained pro is always the best way to go. I'd try fixes but I will confess that guys like code could do it a lot more efficiently than I would.
I used to do a nuke and reload every couple years.

Dadillac
02-11-08, 07:01 PM
So far I am still pop-up free. My only real question is will the bastard files, which seem to now be dormant that I am using Fire Fox, be an issue. I hate that they are there, but if they are of no consequence, I will just leave things alone.

Don

RippyPartsDept
02-12-08, 11:38 AM

I've found that anyone browsing the web with IE and other apps that use the IE rendering engine will run into adware/spyware/malware/virii/etc (there's exceptions to every rule, of course) but one way or another the chances are that you'll run into problems even if you're the most savvy browser when using IE.

Switching to FFX (as Dadillac noted in the update) is a good idea, but you still want to get the baddies cleaned out of the system.

The reason I advocate a fresh install (and even better, being prepared for it with data saved on a separate drive/partition) is because over the long run I have found that the average person will spend a lot more time trying to clean a windows pc, than doing a re-install.

If you're prepared for the eventuality then it will be easier when the time comes.

just my 2cents

codewize
02-12-08, 12:33 PM
There's nothing wrong with that logic at all. I always store the data on a separate partition or a server.

It's just that most people don't understand what they'll loose if that happens. Small things like the settings, colors, backgrounds etc. I know that sounds miniscule and it is but people get upset over that stuff.

Additionally installing all the apps, tools, specialty things is a PIA.

I have a client right now that while I was in the process of cleaning his PC he ran off and ordered a new one. This guy has apps that take a month to install because the vendor has to do it. I'm not really sure why and I don't want to know.

Now come to find out, he wanted and got Vista but some of his custom apps don't work with Vista. So guess what, he's going to work on 2 PC's for the next however many years.

Generally speaking, I can clean a PC a lot faster than I can set up a new one and I'll save the user a lot of whining, time and effort.