: Chicago people, are you getting pounded by old man winter?

I~LUV~Caddys8792
02-06-08, 05:36 PM
I'd heard that a lot of the midwest was gettin' pounded by big storms today, whether it be thunderstorms or blizzards. I guess it's all south or east of Minnesota. I'd heard that Milwaukee is supposed to get 12-18 inches today, and another foot tonight, and with the winds, it's supposed to whip the waters of Lake Michigan over the Levees. Uh oh. And Nicki told me Chicago was supposed to get 12" of snow today.

Hopefully they'll get it cleared by Friday!

Playdrv4me
02-06-08, 05:48 PM
1000 flights delayed or cancelled in Chicago today...

SvB4EvA
02-06-08, 05:57 PM
NYC has been dodging old man winter. We havent had any accumulation of snow so far... It was also 65 today but rainy/humid/nasty. Warmest by far since early Nov. at least.

Severe thunder storms and flash flood watches/warnings are going all about the news for tonight tho.

No Chicago isn't near NYC. lol

Jesda
02-06-08, 06:03 PM
Snow fell today but didnt stick. WOO

JTraik
02-06-08, 06:20 PM
How many bags of cement mix did you go buy? As you see, I was not kidding!

GizmoQ
02-06-08, 07:00 PM
Hey Jesda, you going? when you leaving?

gary88
02-06-08, 07:10 PM
It's an absolute mess. It's been snowing hard since morning and hasn't slowed down at all. It's the huge, sticky, and somehow razor sharp snowflakes too which blind you as you walk.

Chicago takes cleaning everything up seriously though, the roads should be good for Friday.

xshrpshtr
02-06-08, 08:23 PM
Oh, I thought this was a thread with some crude sexuall references...never mind then.

CadillacGurl
02-06-08, 09:38 PM
I'm sitting in Pittsburgh International Airport waiting for my flight to leave for Chicago... it was originally supposed to take off at 3PM... just ughhhh they're saying we should get out though (THANK GOD!!)

Ranger
02-06-08, 09:43 PM
12"+ up here in Woodstock. Just got through cleaning a 120' long driveway and will probably have to go out again once the damn plow comes by. :annoyed: Wind is howling out of the North. I'm sick of winter already.

The roads will be fine by the weekend.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
02-06-08, 09:57 PM
Ranger, do you use this for plowing your 120' driveway?

exBrz5aQ9Hg

AlBundy
02-06-08, 10:03 PM
Oh, I thought this was a thread with some crude sexuall references...never mind then.

How come I'm not surprised.:histeric::rolleyes:

dirt_cheap_fleetwood
02-07-08, 12:17 AM
Yeah, its snowing like there ain't no tomorrow. I just went into my backyard and stuck a yardstick in the snow, and I've got a good 1.5 feet and drifts against the garage that are up to my chin (I'm 6'4"). There has been over 2000 flight cancellations in the last week here. And on top of all the snow, its gets so damn foggy at night you are lucky to be able to see more than 100 feet in front of you. I swear to god stop signs come out of friggin nowhere. You are just cruisin' along and then "Sh*t" and you gotta slam on the brakes and hope its not slippery enough for you to slide right through.

dkozloski
02-07-08, 12:33 AM
Poor babys. It was -70F at Tok Junction, Alaska last night and that ain't wind chill either.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
02-07-08, 01:26 AM
How can you live in Alaska in winter???? Is there anyplace that's decently warm in Alaska during February?

dkozloski
02-07-08, 01:47 AM
It seldom drops below 20F in the Aleution islands but the wind can blow above 120MPH steady for several days at a time. South Eastern Alaska hangs in the 30s and 40s but Ketchikan has over 160 and as much as 200 inches of rain each year. Valdez has temps in the 30s but they also have an average of 30 feet of snow. Nearby Thompson pass has 75 feet of snow. Around here, after a couple of weeks of -40F, 0F feels toasty.

dkozloski
02-07-08, 11:23 AM
The warmest temperature we've seen in a week is -20F.

Playdrv4me
02-07-08, 11:56 AM
The warmest temperature we've seen in a week is -20F.

Do you have underground tunnels?

:koz:

dkozloski
02-07-08, 01:10 PM
It is presently -70.2F in Tok, Alaska. We're in the banana belt here in Fairbanks and the car was reporting -42F as I drove my wife to work. I'm back home waiting on the coffee pot for a fresh cup. For anybody interested, the bill for heating my house for the last six weeks is over $1000.

Playdrv4me
02-07-08, 02:36 PM
It is presently -70.2F in Tok, Alaska. We're in the banana belt here in Fairbanks and the car was reporting -42F as I drove my wife to work. I'm back home waiting on the coffee pot for a fresh cup. For anybody interested, the bill for heating my house for the last six weeks is over $1000.

Geezus man.

So in that environment, if your home heating system was to go down, how long would it take for the interior of your home to drop below freezing?

gary88
02-07-08, 03:42 PM
Hmm, no wonder the government pays you dividends to live there :thepan:

dkozloski
02-07-08, 03:47 PM
Geezus man.

So in that environment, if your home heating system was to go down, how long would it take for the interior of your home to drop below freezing?
It'll hang in there for four to six hours before the pipes freeze but I've got backup that would be almost indefinite.

dkozloski
02-07-08, 03:52 PM
Hmm, no wonder the government pays you dividends to live there :thepan:
I'd live here if I had to pay a penalty. You learn to adapt and appreciate the beautiful summers.

gary88
02-07-08, 04:01 PM
No doubt, it's a beautiful state. I have to go up there someday for some photo opportunities.

dkozloski
02-07-08, 04:23 PM
Geezus man.

We've got it covered. http://www.nema.org/media/ind/20050504a.cfm

SvB4EvA
02-07-08, 04:53 PM
Is there anything special that you must do to a car to operate at those kind of temperatures? I am guessing you would need a heated garage with those kind of temps? And were u talking about the STS driving around in -42F? What would you do if you broke down? Do you have any special safety/emergency equipment in the car?

Sorry for all the Q's, but extreme temperatures/weather tends to fascinate me.

dkozloski
02-07-08, 06:50 PM
Is there anything special that you must do to a car to operate at those kind of temperatures? I am guessing you would need a heated garage with those kind of temps? And were u talking about the STS driving around in -42F? What would you do if you broke down? Do you have any special safety/emergency equipment in the car?

Sorry for all the Q's, but extreme temperatures/weather tends to fascinate me.
My garage is unheated. Unheated, it is still significantly warmer than letting the car sit outside. The engine is equipped with a factory optional blockheater that plugs into a common electrical outlet on a time clock. Everything else works fine. I carry some extra cold weather clothing in the trunk. You never go anywhere in extreme cold weather unless you're prepared to walk home. The first thing to freeze is your fingers and ears. There was a time when you had to winterize your car with exotic lubricants and the like but nowdays mainstream stuff works fine.

Ranger
02-11-08, 11:49 AM
Ranger, do you use this for plowing your 120' driveway?

exBrz5aQ9Hg
Close. I have a 4' two stage snowblower mounted on the front of a 14 HP garden tractor. It will throw snow 20'. It moves a LOT of snow really fast.

dirt_cheap_fleetwood
02-11-08, 03:08 PM
My grandparents took their RV to Alaska a couple years ago for a 4-month period during the summer and they said the mosquitos were aweful.

dkozloski
02-11-08, 03:34 PM
According to an old Air Force survival manual there are more tons of mosquitos per square mile than anything else that lives on the North Slope of Alaska. I've seen people and animals driven into a frenzy in a matter of minutes trying to get away from them. They'll drive a caribou herd into the ocean trying to escape. Cutter's Lotion and Johnson's OFF are the answer to mosquito problems.

Back in the day we used headnets, oil of citronella, and a willow limb with the leaves on it. 6-12 was the first repellent that worked. DDT was a godsend. None of the currently approved insecticides works anywhere near as well. It's interesting to note that even the most confirmed enviromentalists smuggle DDT into the country when the bedbugs infest their residence.

xshrpshtr
02-12-08, 04:07 AM
In my early paintball days(out in the woods). We would go to the military surplus store and get the buglotion they used. Double the DDT you can get over the counter. Unreal! It makes your lips numb if you get any on them. I'm glad I had all my kids before my painball days...they would've had birth defects for sure.