: Radiohead's "In Rainbows"

I~LUV~Caddys8792
02-05-08, 09:49 PM
Anyone have it yet? Is it really good? Does it compare with "OK Computer"?

SvB4EvA
02-06-08, 05:16 PM
I heard good things. I have yet to pick it up my self tho. Compare with "OK Computer"? Lets not get our hopes up too much! :lol:

EDIT: DL'ing now. :D

Vesicant
02-07-08, 12:56 AM
Its different than OK Computer. There isnt much "experimentation" with this new CD except for maybe the first two tracks. Ultimately, In Rainbows is still beautifully produced. This new style is more acoustic (IMO) with somewhat less complexity regarding how the songs are composed. Its simple clean music that Radiohead pulls off so well and that shows with this release. When I put this disc on, time just stops. Its great.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
02-07-08, 01:42 AM
Paranoid Android = :cloud9:

One of the top five songs of the '90s.

Sinister Angel
02-07-08, 10:25 PM
Where's the link for the download. I hear you can get it for dirt cheap.

NOT ON MY WATCH
02-07-08, 11:21 PM
I heard the version that was "cheap" is at a reduced sampling rate. I'll get the CD.

SvB4EvA
02-08-08, 06:47 PM
Where's the link for the download. I hear you can get it for dirt cheap.

i used a torrent.

I like the album. Its different... def. a chill out album

thebigjimsho
02-08-08, 07:48 PM
While downloading is all the rage, unless they stop making discs, I'll never stop buying them. I need sound quality and I want to have the "masters" at hand. I love my iPod, but I want to download off of what I've got. The occasional newly released single is nice to download quickly, otherwise cds are for me...

NOT ON MY WATCH
02-08-08, 07:51 PM
@ thebigjimsho: :yup:

SvB4EvA
02-08-08, 07:57 PM
While downloading is all the rage, unless they stop making discs, I'll never stop buying them. I need sound quality and I want to have the "masters" at hand. I love my iPod, but I want to download off of what I've got. The occasional newly released single is nice to download quickly, otherwise cds are for me...

I havent bought a CD since 1998.

NOT ON MY WATCH
02-08-08, 08:06 PM
Us older folks know the difference in sound quality.

SvB4EvA
02-08-08, 08:14 PM
Us older folks know the difference in sound quality.

MP3 vs CD

http://www.lincomatic.com/mp3/mp3quality.html

Good read.

NOT ON MY WATCH
02-08-08, 08:34 PM
The most commonly used sampling rates of MP3s does not approach CDs - and that's especially true historically speaking. MP3s from the late 90s were not commonly available or distributed at the CD quality level. The author dismisses high sound quality as something only neurotic audiophiles would hear. If you or others don't hear the difference, that's literally your loss.

thebigjimsho
02-08-08, 09:33 PM
MP3 vs CD

http://www.lincomatic.com/mp3/mp3quality.html

Good read.CDs don't crash...

SvB4EvA
02-09-08, 10:25 AM
The most commonly used sampling rates of MP3s does not approach CDs - and that's especially true historically speaking. MP3s from the late 90s were not commonly available or distributed at the CD quality level. The author dismisses high sound quality as something only neurotic audiophiles would hear. If you or others don't hear the difference, that's literally your loss.

The torrent I downloaded had the complete double album, with all the album covers and art and the MP3s are all at a 320kbps bit rate. If you can tell the difference between a CD and a 320kbps MP3, GOOD FOR YOU! :rock: I'm sure I could too. But quality MP3s sound great to me, so I use them. And I guess most of the rest of the world feels the same, its not like MP3s are rare. I agree that a CD can be of better quality, but quality of MP3s are on the rise with HDD size and bandwith availability. It used to be the price you pay for the compression of the digital data, and that price IMO is small now. Especially when we are talking 320kbps bit rates. Yea, in the 90s MP3s were the worst quality... thats for obvious reasons... to make smaller files for the smaller HDDs of the time and for the 14.4 kbps modems. Not to mention everyone and their mother didnt have a MP3 player yet and the demand was NOTHING like it is today.I can also put a few HUNDRED songs on one disc in MP3 format as opposed to a average CD with 10-20 tracks.

CDs don't crash...

I have had 2 computer crashes since 2002. Oh, and CD players don't malfunction or fail? Just like everything else in the world? :hmm:

:horse:

NOT ON MY WATCH
02-09-08, 01:26 PM
I guess what I was trying to emphasize was that if you haven't bought a CD since the late 90s, that it seems unlikely that back then you could been listening to high fidelity (CD quality) audio via MP3s. And if you did have CD quality level MP3s back then, it seems likely they would be illegal copies made from CDs.

Of course current music is available on MP3s at higher samping rates and there is an actual legal distribution system for it.

thebigjimsho
02-10-08, 01:02 AM
I have had 2 computer crashes since 2002. Oh, and CD players don't malfunction or fail? Just like everything else in the world? :hmm:

What? I'm sorry but do CDs fail?

SvB4EvA
02-10-08, 03:38 PM
What? I'm sorry but do CDs fail?

No, I never said a CD fails, but their players do. Just like MP3 files do not "fail", their players or storage platforms do. May that be a laptop, desktop or portable MP3 player.

So if you mean a HDD fails and you lose your MP3s? Of course that happens. But thats only for people who don't burn them to compact disc or some other backup. I personally love my 8GB flash drive.

NOT ON MY WATCH
02-10-08, 06:33 PM
Bought the CD last night and ripped it to the HDD on the way home from the store. I was hoping for them to take more risk with their sound, but they didn't. Not that it's not good - I really like it. It sounds great in the car - CD or HDD, but the CD sounds especially good at home with high quality amplification and headphones.

SvB4EvA
02-10-08, 06:37 PM
Bought the CD last night and ripped it to the HDD on the way home from the store. I was hoping for them to take more risk with their sound, but they didn't. Not that it's not good - I really like it. It sounds great in the car - CD or HDD, but the CD sounds especially good at home with high quality amplification and headphones.

Glad you like it... Its growing on me more and more... you may get the same feeling.

Chicano-Mexicano
02-10-08, 09:06 PM
I prefer the rich sound of :worship: vinyl to CD. (though I do download most of my music from torrents to my PC) you can't beat Gorky Park on Vinyl though :rockon:

NOT ON MY WATCH
02-10-08, 09:39 PM
Vinyl sounds good but for the general public and typical tastes, album choices are very limited. Then of course there is the complete lack of portability.

Chicano-Mexicano
02-10-08, 09:57 PM
Thats what my Iriver is for. :p

SvB4EvA
02-10-08, 11:43 PM
Thats what my Iriver is for. :p

YES! I think you are the only other person i heard with a iRiver

Chicano-Mexicano
02-11-08, 08:37 AM
YES! I think you are the only other person i heard with a iRiver

Metallic Blue H10 20g?

I~LUV~Caddys8792
02-24-08, 08:12 PM
I BOUGHT it last night and listened to the whole thing while lying in my room, lights off, totally dark so I didn't have any other sensory input aside from the album. While I've only really listened to it once so far, I can't give a real good review yet, but I can say it's a lot more relaxed and mellow than 'OK Computer'. All of the songs flow together very well, kinda like Dark Side of the Moon.

SvB4EvA
02-24-08, 11:23 PM
i have an iRiver clix.

and i didnt really like the album first time around... but it grew on me big time. its one of those albums that i can listen to all the way threw, and i cant say that for most albums.