: New owner....need mod opinions

ctsgsxr
02-05-08, 09:01 PM
Hey i just sold my CTS, and purchased a 2005 CTS-V. Ive been looking around for intake, exhaust, and various mods. There are a lot of options and was wanting to know what other people preferred? So what would you guys buy?

SkullV
02-05-08, 09:04 PM
Congrats on the new V and welcome! If you just do a search for "new owner" you will find a million posts with the info you want. Every new owner asks the same question...I was one of them! Also check the classified ads on this forum...there are a lot of good parts on there right now!

Ted

04whiteSMG
02-05-08, 10:06 PM
i would do an exhaust first along with an intake and short throw shifter, then later on if you want you can start getting into headers along with a tune

I have B&B exhaust w/ x pipe along with a Lingenfelter CAI, I LOVE the sound of the B&B but it is loud, thats just the way I like it, I also have a set of B&B headers lying around waiting for the install!!

Good Luck, dont be afraid to get bit by the mod bug!

rand49er
02-05-08, 10:08 PM
Intake mods? There's only one: a maggie. :cool:

Exhaust? Depends on if you want just a cat back, or do you want to start at the heads and go back?

BTW, you've just stepped up into the man's world ... welcome! :highfive:

GMBOUND
02-05-08, 10:44 PM
Welcome to the Big League
Start with the UUC, Then B&B X-Pipe, maybe a set of headers, then if you have cash left over get a Maggie, if you still have cash left over, get me a set of B&B headers and we can be friends!!

lunarx
02-06-08, 04:30 AM
UUC Shifter + Bushings
CAGS or a Stealth V Tune
FG2's (GM Performance Shocks)
Alignment (per the FAQ)
UUC LWFW

Not much else is needed. :cloud9:

When you are ready for power, there are endless options. :lildevil:

heavymetals
02-06-08, 12:51 PM
Maggie, exhaust, UUC shifter and a Stealth tune (removes the skip shift also).

All you will need but not all you will want. :canttalk:

Twitch
02-06-08, 01:35 PM
If you get the UUC shifter, get their shift knob also. Its weight makes a big difference.
The Magnaflow has a nice deep sound and its about half the price of the others.
You don't really need a CAI, stock is pretty good on the V. But they give you a little power and sound cool, so wait for a deal.
If your going to get headers, some of the guys said they wished they'd kept the stock exhaust. You'll get power of the headers without the crazy noise.
Start looking into an anti-wheelhop kit, or something to tighten up the rear. Lots of reading on that. You'll have to decide how you go about that.

ctsgsxr
02-08-08, 02:54 PM
i think im gonna start out with a lingenfelter intake, b&b full exhaust, uuc short shift w/ knob, stealth v tune, and i cant decide if i want just lowering springs or spend the money for performance springs. Hope that sounds like a good start

rand49er
02-08-08, 04:01 PM
... and i cant decide if i want just lowering springs or spend the money for performance springs. ...Get a Ground Control kit (<$500, I believe).

BTW, that's an excellent start! :thumbsup:

type911
02-08-08, 04:15 PM
Shameless plug. CAGS

Ak Jim
02-08-08, 04:25 PM
If you only do one do the flywheel!

Venomous-V
02-08-08, 06:15 PM
ctsgsxr....did you get my PM?

Lindsay Cadillac Parts
02-09-08, 05:05 PM
Hey i just sold my CTS, and purchased a 2005 CTS-V. Ive been looking around for intake, exhaust, and various mods. There are a lot of options and was wanting to know what other people preferred? So what would you guys buy?

If I had a V I would buy........

a UUC shifter
UUC lightweight flywheel
UUC stainless steel shift knob
UUC steel braided brake lines
GM cross drilled rotors
Corsa exhaust
Kooks headers
rear strut brace
LS7 clutch
CTS center console
jack kit
V logo floor mats
FG2 shocks
rear upper control arms (GM racing) with harder durometer bushings
GM accessory wheels
Hawk brake pads
GM accessory spoiler
then I would wait for the UUC poly mounts and the RMD brake duct kit to come out and get those too.

feel free to use this as a checklist!!!!!!!!

ToyCTSV
02-09-08, 05:42 PM
wow great list this should be a sticky... couple of questions...

What is the jack kit? is this just a jack for the CTS-V? Can I steal it from my CTS?

Is the CTS console the one that has the opening compartment? Will they swap right out and will the larger CTS console get in the way when shifting?

Any recomendations for a front swaybar?

I'm personally limited on my modifications because I'd like to keep this car mostly stock for one and race it in stock class autocrossing for two.

Nutz
02-09-08, 09:16 PM
Question Luke,
Hawk, Raybestos ST43, or Carbotech? Pricing on the Hawk? Getting ready for Summit Point...

lunarx
02-09-08, 11:17 PM
Question Luke,
Hawk, Raybestos ST43, or Carbotech? Pricing on the Hawk? Getting ready for Summit Point...
Of those; ST-43 hands down.
Consider the milder ST-42 as ST-43 is like droping an anchor.:eek:
(depends on your experience level and car set-up as to which is best for you)

I used Carbotech in the past, but they are not in the same leauge of the ST-42/43/41 or PFC-97/01

Other members can chime in more on Hawk HP Plus.

It must be noted that, Hawk Blue or Black are highly raved about in the track-day world.
http://www.hawkperformance.com/motorsports/compounds/index.php

Lindsay Cadillac Parts
02-10-08, 08:38 PM
wow great list this should be a sticky... couple of questions...

What is the jack kit? is this just a jack for the CTS-V? Can I steal it from my CTS?

Is the CTS console the one that has the opening compartment? Will they swap right out and will the larger CTS console get in the way when shifting?

Any recomendations for a front swaybar?

I'm personally limited on my modifications because I'd like to keep this car mostly stock for one and race it in stock class autocrossing for two.

yes, the jack kit is the jack and attatching bits from a CTS

yes, the CTS center console will swap directly over

I had some GM racing sway bars but they are all gone. I think most people go Hotchkis

Lindsay Cadillac Parts
02-10-08, 08:49 PM
Question Luke,

the only one of the bunch that I know much about is the Hawk. I have several customers (some of which will be at Summit in May) that track their car fairly regulary and love the Hawk HP+.

trukk
02-11-08, 02:41 PM
Of those; ST-43 hands down.
Consider the milder ST-42 as ST-43 is like droping an anchor.:eek:
(depends on your experience level and car set-up as to which is best for you)

I used Carbotech in the past, but they are not in the same leauge of the ST-42/43/41 or PFC-97/01

Other members can chime in more on Hawk HP Plus.

It must be noted that, Hawk Blue or Black are highly raved about in the track-day world.
http://www.hawkperformance.com/motorsports/compounds/index.php

Daily Drive HP+'s here.

Hawk Blue's are amazing, HOWEVER...they eat rotors like no ones business, and you would be kinder to your rims by pouring hydrochloric acid on them (I KEED, well kinda...)

-Chris

majoraward
02-28-08, 09:57 PM
Shameless plug. CAGS

type911,

I would like to purchase one of these CAGS from you but it says when trying to PM you that I must leave 30 posts before I can PM!

If someone else sees this and knows type911, please let him know that I would like to buy one of these. Thanks!

(This is a biased rule btw, it would not be a problem for an outgoing person, but I am not. I haven't sent one PM.)

CTSV_Rob
02-28-08, 10:08 PM
If you only do one do the flywheel!
One of my favorite mods.

See Sig.

type911
02-28-08, 10:49 PM
type911,

I would like to purchase one of these CAGS from you but it says when trying to PM you that I must leave 30 posts before I can PM!

If someone else sees this and knows type911, please let him know that I would like to buy one of these. Thanks!

(This is a biased rule btw, it would not be a problem for an outgoing person, but I am not. I haven't sent one PM.)

PM sent. If you have problems my email is doofdog2@hotmail.com

Geof