: 60,000 Miles

usc2005
02-05-08, 01:27 PM
GOODDAY EVERYONE? Just reached 60000 miles on my 97 cad, and was wondering is there any in depth maintenance that i might want to get done to prevent any future problems. Just got the EBTCM module tooken out and sent up to module masters. I read on one of the threads that maybe the timing belt and tensioner get replaced.

Any other parts i should get done or replaced?

Thank you

elvin315
02-05-08, 03:13 PM
I read on one of the threads that maybe the timing belt and tensioner get replaced.

Not maybe. Definitely! You are already 20,000 miles beyond recommended replacement. Give Cadillac your VIN and have them check the database to see if your belt & tensioner have been replaced under the Recall. If it has, when? What mileage? The time frame is 4 years/40,000 miles. If your Catera was skipped the first time Cadillac may replace them under the Recall. If Cadillac already replaced it you hopefully have time before the next time. If you are beyond the time frame you'll have to do it or have it done. Either way, it's very important. If the belt snaps it will cause the pistons to hit the valves. Bad. Very bad.

The other stuff like, the Heater Bypass Valve, is minor in comparison. You could buy one in advance and have it handy when it leaks or even replace it before it does. Same for cleaning the Crankcase Breather Box & Hoses. Do it now. Why wait for the camcover gaskets to leak first?

The oil cooler failure is a wait and see situation. Regular flushes and changes might help slow the corrosion but since yours is a '97 you might want to change it before it turns into a sludge fest and you need to flush or replace the radiator.

Another item are the lower control arm bushings. They wear out and cause abnormal tire wear and tramlining. Check them whenever you have reason to pull the tires. Same for the swaybar downlinks and tierod ends. These last things aren't peculiar to the Catera. The suspension in any car incurs wear with every trip down the driveway. Don't forget the rear either.

No way you can predict electric gremlins so don't sweat it. With all the electronic doodads in the Catera, something is bound to go wrong sooner or later. The CPS is cheap enough to buy in advance and maybe an O2 sensor or two. But what else might fail is anyone's guess. Invest in a roadservice plan to tow you off the road when the time comes. I did.

Elvin

usc2005
02-05-08, 03:52 PM
Not maybe. Definitely! You are already 20,000 miles beyond recommended replacement. Give Cadillac your VIN and have them check the database to see if your belt & tensioner have been replaced under the Recall. If it has, when? What mileage? The time frame is 4 years/40,000 miles. If your Catera was skipped the first time Cadillac may replace them under the Recall. If Cadillac already replaced it you hopefully have time before the next time. If you are beyond the time frame you'll have to do it or have it done. Either way, it's very important. If the belt snaps it will cause the pistons to hit the valves. Bad. Very bad.

The other stuff like, the Heater Bypass Valve, is minor in comparison. You could buy one in advance and have it handy when it leaks or even replace it before it does. Same for cleaning the Crankcase Breather Box & Hoses. Do it now. Why wait for the camcover gaskets to leak first?

The oil cooler failure is a wait and see situation. Regular flushes and changes might help slow the corrosion but since yours is a '97 you might want to change it before it turns into a sludge fest and you need to flush or replace the radiator.

Another item are the lower control arm bushings. They wear out and cause abnormal tire wear and tramlining. Check them whenever you have reason to pull the tires. Same for the swaybar downlinks and tierod ends. These last things aren't peculiar to the Catera. The suspension in any car incurs wear with every trip down the driveway. Don't forget the rear either.

No way you can predict electric gremlins so don't sweat it. With all the electronic doodads in the Catera, something is bound to go wrong sooner or later. The CPS is cheap enough to buy in advance and maybe an O2 sensor or two. But what else might fail is anyone's guess. Invest in a roadservice plan to tow you off the road when the time comes. I did.

Elvin

I had the oil cooler and head gaskets replaced in march of last year because of the oil leakage in the anti freeze, so do you think it is in need of another?

THANKS ELVIN/GUYS:thumbsup::thumbsup: