: Check Gas Cap Message.

thewireman*
02-04-08, 11:21 PM
Hello guys! :) Newbie here, I couldn't find the search box and could've looked for it if the answer is already there! Sorry if it has been answered.

I have a 1999 Deville and got this message on my dash saying, "Check Gas Cap" well, I sure "checked" it and dont know what the hell I'm checking. I tried to buy a new Gas Cap, and still the same message. I ran the codes, -P0440 Evaporative Emission System...My shop looked for the leaks and said it was fine, said could be the switch on my gas tank? or something like that. Is there anyway I could get rid of the message? Does it affect anything? Thank you guys.

codewize
02-05-08, 12:48 AM
You'll fail emissions if you're state requires it. Clear the codes and see if it comes back. Some codes get set and stay active for a while or until cleared.

Submariner409
02-05-08, 11:02 AM
The late 90's-03 Seville/Deville series has a recall for fuel tank pressure sensor replacement. That sensor will trigger the code/DIC warning.

Take your VIN to your Cadillac dealer and have them pull the GM history on the car. If the recall was accomplished, it will be in there.

The tank pressure sensor is part of the pump module mounted in the top of the fuel tank. No fun to replace. Expensive.

krimson_cardnal
02-05-08, 12:24 PM
I've noted that when my 96DeVille is at idle and I remove the gas cap I do not get any message at all. No check engine light, no codes?? Any ideas? K_C

Submariner409
02-05-08, 04:31 PM
Fuel tank pressure and vacuum are controlled by the evaporative and canister purge cycles, so the pressure malfunction probably sets during some warmup cycle changeover. There must be some range of pressure/vacuum for the sensor to monitor, and if the values go outside those settings the sensor trips a leaky gas cap fault. There have been a couple of posts lately concerning rusted out filler pipes. That should set a similar code.

If you can pull the cap and not set a code, there must be some sort of time delay.

thewireman*
02-05-08, 07:39 PM
I will check with the dealer first. Hopefully its on the recall list, so I can get it replaced. I think I have a side airbag recall anyways.

Submariner409
02-06-08, 07:29 PM
:alchi:Wire........If you come up with a fix, let us know !!!

thewireman*
02-06-08, 08:25 PM
Will do! I'm just waiting for my new 200 amp Alternator with 4 gauge wires arrive in the mail and not looking forward to installing it. ( I would know what I'm doing, took mechanic's school for two years just for the hell of it) But I can use my dad's shop that has a car lift and all tools...should be nice.. The reason why I ordered a 200 amp Alternator is because I have a very big sound system. Ha. Anyways Thank you guys!

thewireman*
02-09-08, 05:27 PM
*update* Changed the 200 amp Alternator, took me 2 hours, wasn't too bad,... Bought a 1000 amp battery, oh man, my system sounded a lot better and clearer. No check engine light, so far no check gas cap message. Stopped by the dealer, no recalls, but the side air bags recall, but they closed the case. Oh well. Sweet.......

codewize
02-12-08, 03:59 PM
Damn it. Now I have this message every time I start the car. Haven't checked for codes yet. More to come

thewireman*
02-12-08, 06:21 PM
That sucks code.....Mine still haven't showed up yet so far....maybe its because I have been using premium gas since my alternator change? IDK But yes, I have been using unleaded when I first got the car....I know its wrong...its because I'm used to buying unleaded....

Murphyg
02-12-08, 06:52 PM
I received the gas cap message on my 01 so I checked it. I found it wasnt sealing properly. It would do the clicking but then I was still able to remove it without turning it. Could get it to seat if I really tried but would eventually come loose again on its own.
Put on a new one from GM and has been fine since. No message.
I guess it could be possible that the leak is still in the cap if it is an after market.

BTW wireman, Im a bit confused ?? When you say unleaded, you mean Premium, Right ?? I know it may be a stupid question, but I still had to ask.

codewize
02-12-08, 07:08 PM
My cap is brand new GM. I just replaced it last week because the stupid lanyard broke. I cleared the code today and it hasn't come back so maybe the cap was actually loose.

I'll keep an eye on it. BTW if it is the pressure sensor, what is the cost of repair on this? It can't be that expensive.

BIG ERN
02-12-08, 07:26 PM
got the same message a while back bought a new one at advance auto and cleared the codes and its been fine since

Submariner409
02-12-08, 07:27 PM
Unfortunately it can be expensive, because on some models the sensor is part of the entire pump/pickup/sensor capsule. $400 +, part only. Then either drop the tank or maybe there's an access hole on some.........used to be a recall.

thewireman*
02-12-08, 08:26 PM
Murphyg,
When I say unleaded, I meant cheap 83 gas...and when I say premium, I meant 93 or higher. Sorry to confuse you. I shouldve explained it a little bit better next time. :canttalk:

Code,
The switch is with the fuel pump/gauge piece and like submariner said, they are around $400+ :annoyed: unless you find them on ebay, Ive seen some that are $150 and up. Yes new ones. But I rather buy an OEM ones just because they are made just for what its made for- Cadillac...:D

But thanks guys :o, if my message comes back on, I will try the new gas cap from the dealer, if not....then the real work begins...:banghead:

Ranger
02-12-08, 08:29 PM
That sucks code.....Mine still haven't showed up yet so far....maybe its because I have been using premium gas since my alternator change? IDK But yes, I have been using unleaded when I first got the car....I know its wrong...its because I'm used to buying unleaded....
The type (octane) of gas you use has nothing to do with that message. The fuel system is sealed. That message is because the the EVAP system has a leak and is vented to atmosphere and a loose gas cap is the most obvious and common cause.

thewireman*
02-12-08, 08:42 PM
Oh...the famous Ranger...Ive heard a lot about you...welcome to my loser forum..LOL! Anyways Like I said at the beginning, the shop checked for the leak, and no leaks. So could be the gas cap then...hmmm. Thanks ranger!

Murphyg
02-12-08, 08:53 PM
Murphyg,
When I say unleaded, I meant cheap 83 gas...and when I say premium, I meant 93 or higher. Sorry to confuse you. I shouldve explained it a little bit better next time. :canttalk:..............

Just wanted to be sure is all. Seein as unleaded hasnt been available since I cant remember when.
Wanted to reassure myself you werent thinkin/usin deisel :canttalk:

thewireman*
02-12-08, 09:21 PM
Just wanted to be sure is all. Seein as unleaded hasnt been available since I cant remember when.
Wanted to reassure myself you werent thinkin/usin deisel :canttalk:

Ha ha, it would be crazy if somebody put diesel in it....HEY! HOW COME IT WON'T STOP RUNNING? I HAVE THE KEY OFF! Ha ha ha..:histeric:

Ranger
02-12-08, 09:21 PM
Oh...the famous Ranger...Ive heard a lot about you...welcome to my loser forum..LOL! Anyways Like I said at the beginning, the shop checked for the leak, and no leaks. So could be the gas cap then...hmmm. Thanks ranger!

Lies, all lies. Don't believe a word.

Murphyg
02-12-08, 09:28 PM
Ha ha, it would be crazy if somebody put diesel in it....HEY! HOW COME IT WON'T STOP RUNNING? I HAVE THE KEY OFF! Ha ha ha..:histeric:

Havent been here that long have you.
Surely isnt a regular thing. But aint that far fetched from some of the things you may hear.
Is always good to proceed on the side of caution. Wether asking a question, or making an assumption as to a post or question asked :bonkers:

codewize
02-12-08, 09:53 PM
From what I understand this can be done through an access hole in the trunk. Same way you change the level sensor. Which BTW needs to be done on mine. So maybe I'll end up doing a two-fer

thewireman*
03-03-08, 01:59 PM
It came back on! :banghead: Here is the DTC's-
P0440 - Evaporative Emission (EVAP) System
P0603 - Control Module Long Term Memory Reset
P1527 - Transmission Range to Pressure Switch Correlation
P1645 - Evaporative Emission (EVAP) Vent Solenoid Contorl Circuit
B1147 - Driver Side Air Bag System Malfunction
B1148 - Passenger Side Air Bag System Malfunction
B1327 - Vehicle system voltage below 9.0 volts
U1255 - Class 2 Communication Malfunction (Serial Data Line Malfunction)

Do any of them require major attention? Besides B1147 and B1148? I know they are part of the safety recall but went to the dealer and said the case was closed for this recall! :mad2: But its a SAFETY recall! Are they trying to make me go away?
Anyways on that code- B1327, How that could be? I just got a brand new battery, new 200 AMP alternator....and its getting below 9.00 volts? :helpless:
Help?

Thanks!

codewize
03-03-08, 03:13 PM
My code has not come back so far. FYI

JimD
03-03-08, 03:14 PM
It came back on! :banghead: Here is the DTC's-
P0440 - Evaporative Emission (EVAP) System
P0603 - Control Module Long Term Memory Reset
P1527 - Transmission Range to Pressure Switch Correlation
P1645 - Evaporative Emission (EVAP) Vent Solenoid Contorl Circuit
B1147 - Driver Side Air Bag System Malfunction
B1148 - Passenger Side Air Bag System Malfunction
B1327 - Vehicle system voltage below 9.0 volts
U1255 - Class 2 Communication Malfunction (Serial Data Line Malfunction)

Do any of them require major attention? Yes, the B1327 requires attention first. When the system voltage drops below 9 Volts, all the modules in the car become unreliable and can/will set false-random-erroneous codes. B1327 is a heads up to you that you could have trouble codes that have been set in error.

Find and repair the cause of low system voltage. And the battery would be the #1 suspect; they can fail right out of the box. Load testing is the only way to be sure.

When the low voltage condition is repaired, clear all your codes and see what returns.

Submariner409
03-03-08, 03:21 PM
B1327 will also set when there's a voltage differential, out of spec, between battery and (monitored) system expected voltage. Like if you have the door(s) open and pull codes: the lights pull body and dash module voltage down.

If you pull enough codes, you'll see B1327 in several modules. Forget it.

U1255 comes and goes also. Wait 'till you see the codes that set if you're driving near an old induction arc welder or lightning strike !!

The tank pressure sensor thing is still a safety/emissions recall, I think. Mine was done in '04.

thewireman*
03-03-08, 07:11 PM
Okay I will get my battery tested tomorrow. But I went to the dealer and didn't say anything about it. Should I go to a different dealer?
Thanks guys.

JimD
03-03-08, 07:24 PM
I would leave the dealer out of the battery test. Take it to a AdvanceAuto/Pep Boys/Autozone type aftermarket parts house; they will be happy to load test the battery for you.

thewireman*
03-03-08, 08:16 PM
No, I'm not taking it to the dealer, I was talking about the recalls. Thanks Mike

Murphyg
03-03-08, 08:51 PM
For recall work you "must" take it to a dealer.

Oddly enough, not "all" dealers know about "all" recalls.
Or maybe its cause some dont want tell you because they cant be bothered, are too busy, or whatever reason. Maybe just too freakin stupid....I dunno
But I have been through it.
Have received a recall notice in the mail. Have then inquired about it at a Dealership. Have been told that it doesnt pertain to my vehicle. We had even brought the letter that we received from GM. But were told in no way did it refer to our car !

At least 5 years later. Take the car into a dealership, (had moved since, so different dealer), for something serious; and are told from them......When we pick up the car....That they also took care of the past recall. No charge of course. But they were quite surprised that we didnt have it taken care of long before.

So on that note....If I were you....
Id inquirer about it to as many different dealers as are near you, and see what they "all" have to say.
Park your car and walk in. Give them your vin #, and ask about all open recalls on that car.

For recall work you "must" take it to a dealer. And if it hasent been done then they will know. It will be in the GM data base.
But like I said....go to couple. Not saying what happened to us is a regular thing. But it does show that some dealers really dont give a crap.

thewireman*
03-03-08, 10:33 PM
Okay, there is plenty of dealers out there by my house and will go all of them until one if them says that they will fix my recalls. Thanks a lot Murphyg!

Submariner409
03-04-08, 10:24 AM
Only recalls by NHTSA (Highway Safety) and EPA (Emissions) will be free. Out of warranty, an in-house GM/Cadillac recall comes out of your hide. The fuel tank pressure sensor is emissions and the Northstar fuel rail recall was NHTSA. The lower steering column extension "clunk" was in-house.

Murphyg
03-08-08, 05:56 AM
Im not thinkin so.
A recall is a recall. Safety thing and all. Sure highway safety and emissions makes sense. But again a safety recall on a vehicle does not come out of any purchasers pocket. It can be something as simple as a seat belt latch. Absolutely nothing to do with emissions whatsoever.

Out of warranty; in warranty if any one would refer; In house or out of house.........A recall is a recalll............And it is taken care of free of charge PERIOD.

Chances are you will not get a courtesy vehicle and be reimbursed for time etc.....
And I dont know what this out of warranty and or in house out of house manufacturer specifications....IE GM has anything to do with it. But manufacturers recall is what it is. And it is world wide no matter where in the world you are.
May not even be a seat belt. Could be one of those tabs on the back window ledge. One that is used for tying down a child seat. And every vehicle made with that that way will be recalled and fixed for free.

BTW......Just recieved a recall notice on a toy that our children have had for about 3 years. The toy was purchased at a place called Cosco. And It was Cosco that sent us the letter. We understand the reason fore the recall. Even though we never had a concern about the reason for the recall notice. It has been a few years. And we still have the toy. So now will be reurned and will be compensated.

Has nothing to do with warranty. Has nothing to do with in house or out of house.
Recall has to do with general public safety...............
Its that way across all of North America.....And even further.............
Does appear though that some in Maryland upper Eastern Shore havent been reading there news letters lately. But it really is true...

I also heard that there was a Major Major recall of "Lead" in China. But I did read that in submariner409s' home town paper (the one in Maryland upper Eastern Shore), there was major recall of lead being shipped into China because the lead contained too many childrens toys.

I may have misunderstood "subs" post. If I did I apologize, and will without a doubt be corrected. And without a doubt right fully so.

Recalls are recalls. Have never heard them referred to in another name. And a recall is/does occur because of a safety aspect to the consumer. Discussed and weighed etc...by the powers above LOL...

Emissions, warranty, in house, or out,............... is irrelevant...........safety recall is a safety recall........ and thats that.