: I Finally Finally Saw One On The Srteet That Someone Bought!

Sandy
02-04-08, 06:55 PM
.... AND i FELL IN LOVE !
Adoptive Cruise, Driver Controlled Suspension, 311 H.P. V-8, All Wheel Drive, Speed Sensing Steering & Suspension, 6-Speed Tranny, Dynamic Stability Control, Tire Pressure Warning Indicator, 8 Air Bags, Keyless Drive, Moonroof, 18" Chrome 5-Spokes, Buttery Soft Leather, Perforated, Front AND Rear Heated Seats, Heated W'Shield Washers, Rear Seat Headphones, Collision Aware Active Braking via Radar Sensory System, Lane Departure Warning, Driver Alert Control, Blind Spot Info System, Navagation w/HDD, DVD Map Data with Remote Control, Leather, Suede & Wood Steering Wheel, Rear Parking Asist Camera, Blue Tooth, i-Pod Interface, Illuminated Interior Sill Moulding Upon entering, Chromed Rolled Top Dual Exhaust Tips.

Here, go look! The one I saw was a medium dark gray, as in the photo herein
http://www.volvocars.us/models/s80/

Playdrv4me
02-04-08, 07:48 PM
I have not seen a single V8 one of these since they went on the market. They are almost all base six cylinders.

The V8s are gonna make a great used value due to their depreciation.

Submariner409
02-04-08, 09:35 PM
.............and you think we have electrical system gremlins ! Volvo (I had 2, years ago: never again) is not the perfect vehicle the ads would have you believe.

Sandy
02-04-08, 11:23 PM
PLAY, this was a V-8 with AWD. I hung around a while and as I was walking away, he came & I asked. I asked if he liked the car & he said that he loved it and it was a V-8 w/AWD. The window sticker he said was $ 60,111, and he bought it for $ 56,850. He made SURE to tell me that he paid C.O.D. :thehand:

caddycruiser
02-04-08, 11:26 PM
Here, go look! The one I saw was a medium dark gray, as in the photo herein
http://www.volvocars.us/models/s80/

Like this?

http://www.volvooffredericksburg.com/new_photos/5834_1.jpg
http://www.volvooffredericksburg.com/new_photos/5834_2.jpg

The V8s are gonna make a great used value due to their depreciation.

Sad, but true. And the 6-cyl ones may not be far off, based on sales & discounting. Our school president has an '08 blue/beige 6-cylinder, which he traded his '08 Expedition for...after having it a total of 2.5 weeks. Has had the Volvo for several months now, and more than once I've seen a Volvo service loaner in its place and once the "Volvo Remote Technical Assistance" (I think) van parked beside it in the parking lot, apparently programming or diagnosing something.

Playdrv4me
02-04-08, 11:28 PM
PLAY, this was a V-8 with AWD. I hung around a while and as I was walking away, he came & I asked. I asked if he liked the car & he said that he loved it and it was a V-8 w/AWD. The window sticker he said was $ 60,111, and he bought it for $ 56,850. He made SURE to tell me that he paid C.O.D. :thehand:

Yea, 56k is a bargain for all that you get there. In fact, that's probably right around the price the fully optioned Q45 was selling for when it finally went off the market a couple of years ago. Another rare car to see anywhere, I had a loaded 2005 for about 3 days and I took it back because it drove and looked a little funny for my tastes.

Playdrv4me
02-04-08, 11:34 PM
Sad, but true. And the 6-cyl ones may not be far off, based on sales & discounting. Our school president has an '08 blue/beige 6-cylinder, which he traded his '08 Expedition for...after having it a total of 2.5 weeks. Has had the Volvo for several months now, and more than once I've seen a Volvo service loaner in its place and once the "Volvo Remote Technical Assistance" (I think) van parked beside it in the parking lot, apparently programming or diagnosing something.

Not surprising considering all the technology they crammed into those, Im sure they've had some growing pains in their first couple of years on the market.

One thing Sandy didn't list up there is the Heartbeat sensor keyless entry system that alerts you if there is someone in the car before you get in it. Probably not something that will ever get much use, but Im sure there's quite a bit of technical gobbledygook that goes into making that work.

caddycruiser
02-05-08, 12:49 AM
One thing Sandy didn't list up there is the Heartbeat sensor keyless entry system that alerts you if there is someone in the car before you get in it. Probably not something that will ever get much use, but Im sure there's quite a bit of technical gobbledygook that goes into making that work.

YES. There's a lot of thought and technology put into that feature, but it's still one of those..."Hmm...okay" kind of oddballs. I was understanding it for a while, until I remembered, if someone broke into the car and was in there...the alarm and whatever else would have already gone nuts and couldn't be just turned off. And even if they cut something....well, still, an odd but thoughtful play idea.

MauiV
02-05-08, 09:31 AM
Now if all those features were available in a car that didnt look like ass.

I test drove an S60 R several times but couldnt pull the trigger on it. Something I just couldnt put a finger on, it just wasnt for me. I love the looks vs the traditional Volvos and it is available on my Ford Z plan but it just didnt excite me when I drove it. In the end it too was still a Volvo. Sensable, safe transportation in a plain wrapper.

Sandy
02-05-08, 08:02 PM
See....and I love its looks. It's not a "mee too" look or it's nice but it looks like a _________!
Another thing is you don't see many. I have been lOOking and this was the 2nd one I saw,
and the first one that was parked. The interior is breathtaking. I really like it -
buit - can't afford it. I could sell my 10,000 mile Town Car for $20,000 but it would STILL
cost me $40,000 fresh cash, and I am paying off a college loan for my son, along with
his help. Just too steep a step at this time.
Maybe I should open up the "Sandy's S80 Fund" on here? :) Look how much Obama raised !

Stoneage_Caddy
02-05-08, 08:16 PM
v8 s80s are a hoot , i drive at least one a day ....

still cant get over the sound of it , great sounding engine , but its a little strange to hear the v8 roar and be sitting in a volvo ...

MauiV
02-05-08, 10:22 PM
See....and I love its looks. It's not a "mee too" look or it's nice but it looks like a _________!
Another thing is you don't see many. I have been lOOking and this was the 2nd one I saw,
and the first one that was parked. The interior is breathtaking. I really like it -
buit - can't afford it. I could sell my 10,000 mile Town Car for $20,000 but it would STILL
cost me $40,000 fresh cash, and I am paying off a college loan for my son, along with
his help. Just too steep a step at this time.
Maybe I should open up the "Sandy's S80 Fund" on here? :) Look how much Obama raised !

Boat loads of them running around here, especially in Lexington and Louisville. Lot of coal money wifes seem to show up in them for some reason. I guess they want the "safe" car on those narrow mountain roads with coal trucks coming around the curve and the V8s for the passing power. I do like the interior and the options, but they are just in a brown paper bag.

dirt_cheap_fleetwood
02-06-08, 12:47 AM
Sandy, have you gone soft? What would that Plum Beauty you have sitting in your garage say if she saw you talking like that? I know the are owned by GM, but nothing beats a true American car (and I don't want to hear any crap about how nearly all American cars are made out of the country). I would take your Town Car over that thing any day, but then again I have always loved the Crown Vics/Town Cars/Grand Marquis.

BTW, out of personal experience, those tire pressure monitoring systems are more trouble than they are worth. I have seen many people come into the shop at school with leaking tires only to find out the sensor has a leak in it. And trust me, they aren't cheap to replace.

Sandy
02-06-08, 08:22 AM
Who said the 1993 Sixty Special with 9,840 miles would be going anywhere? It would be the Town Car leaving, as I have a waiting/willing buyer at $20,000. But, I will not be buying it as I can't spend the fresh cash of $ 40,000 for the Volvo. Volvo BTW is owned by FORD - not GM. (and) Yes, I heard the roar as the man I spoke with pulled away. Just a fabulous car, with 311 H.P. AWD and every gadget and gizmo out there, today. If I was buying, (now that the Town Car is dead,) a Volvo S80 is what I'd buy, tip top model with alll the toyzz. In white pearl with the beige int.

dirt_cheap_fleetwood
02-06-08, 12:05 PM
Damn, confused Volvo and Saab. If I were you though, I would keep the Town Car. I just think it looks more stately, more business like. The Volvo looks good, but it seems to be geared more towards yuppies than your generation (both my grandparents own Town Cars and wouldn't trade them in for the world). The Town Car is large and in charge.

Blackout
02-06-08, 12:26 PM
I would love to get my hands on a C30 version 2.0

Sandy
02-06-08, 02:52 PM
See, I have alwys liked big luxury cars - not really caring who (or what age group) drove them. It didn't bother me. Now that I am 61, I guess my age backed down to my likes :) ~
I agree with all you say regarding Town Cars and I especially like to put my rear in gear in the largest car available, which is how I wound up at the Lincoln dealer to begin with. It's just that I fell in love (ya know how THAT goes....) with the S-80 ~ perhaps because it's such a giant leap forward for a car called
Volvo. I also believe that Volvos are indeed well made.

caddycruiser
02-07-08, 07:48 AM
They're awesome vehicles, especially the V8 AWD models, for sure.

When it comes to pricing and sales, however, it's not far fetched to see that they don't sell that well because they stray a bit from the class norm, are quite pricey, etc.

But what that translates into is large discounts when new and expectedly more so with CPO or ex corp. exec. cars.

Case in point, here's a leftover white/beige LOADED V8 2007 model (so much stuff, the sticker is almost $60k) with $11k off. That's probably not uncommon, at all.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-07-SPORT-PKG-NAV-PCC-WOOD-WHL-SAVE-OVER-11-000-00_W0QQitemZ230218111928QQihZ013QQcategoryZ6463QQs sPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

And another leftover, this time actually Pearl White & Beige, but no Sport package (i.e., not the best looking wheels...but still nice):

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BRAND-NEW-2007-VOLVO-S80-V8-AWD-CLIMATE-AUDIO-PKG_W0QQitemZ330209204297QQihZ014QQcategoryZ6463QQ ssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Kind of like the Town Car, only not nearly as terrible, with nice discounts new and then lower with a few months and even just a few miles...the number of new 2007's around is pretty self explanatory.