: Tattoo coverup

malcolm
02-04-08, 06:54 PM
Could use a little help here, my daughter has a tattoo that she needs to cover for a wedding. Anybody got any experience with some of the coverup kits?

Spyder
02-04-08, 07:06 PM
Why cover it up? Unless its one that she's ashamed of and wants to get rid of it...its part of her and should be showed as such, eh.

Red_October_7000
02-04-08, 07:13 PM
I gotta agree with spyder on this one, it's not like it's a court appearance or something like that, but I suppose it could be that she's a bridesmaid and the line of the dress is gonna cut it off and make it look stupid or something like that. In that case, my lovely, tatoo'd girlfriend suggest that she go to the pharmacy and procure the stuff that is used to cover up scars and birthmarks, blending to her skintone with her makeup, powdering very well or it WILL come off on the dress.

dkozloski
02-04-08, 07:16 PM
Professional makeup people can help here.

malcolm
02-04-08, 07:28 PM
I agree and don't think she should cover it but the bride is asking. It's pretty big, covers about 3/4 of her back and of course the bride picks low back bridesmaids dresses for a March wedding in NJ. To make matters worse my charming lovely wife wants her to cover it too. All I want is peace. It's my son's wedding so we are heading for a nice fued.

dkozloski
02-04-08, 07:46 PM
Change it to a wedding with a biker theme. I hate this kind of controversy and no good ever comes of it. Pettiness overrides everything when a cat fight starts.

joee5
02-04-08, 07:54 PM
I say leave it and let her friends accept for who/what she is. Yeah I got a suggestion for a coverup. I had to cover one up bout 10 years ago. It was an executioner on me right bicep. Solution was to cover it up with a huge dragon head. Anyhow best of Luck to you and yours and look at it this way keep the tat and at the same time your gaining another daughter. On a serious note I hope this all works out. God Bless, joe

ewill3rd
02-04-08, 08:12 PM
She should have thought of that before she went and got a tattoo! :D

I don't get one because I never know when I'll have to be a bridesmaid ;)
LOL

I think Koz is right, someone who does makeup stuff should know, maybe call Angelina Jolie? She has to cover hers in her movies... I can still see them though so maybe not.

In all seriousness it looks like Google has a lot of solutions, most of them look like makeup.

dkozloski
02-04-08, 08:21 PM
She can wear a Giants jersey.

Dadillac
02-04-08, 09:29 PM
Have the dress altered and have a flesh toned panel sewn onto the open portion of the back. Seems like it would be the easiest route to go.

Don

Submariner409
02-04-08, 09:29 PM
A tattoo brands the wearer forever. If you have to hide your sins, you have a long row to hoe. ........from a 26 year Navy submariner. Too bad you were afraid to play Dad some time ago.

EcSTSatic
02-04-08, 10:03 PM
She should have thought of that before she went and got a tattoo! :D

I don't get one because I never know when I'll have to be a bridesmaid ;)
LOL

I think Koz is right, someone who does makeup stuff should know, maybe call Angelina Jolie? She has to cover hers in her movies... I can still see them though so maybe not.

In all seriousness it looks like Google has a lot of solutions, most of them look like makeup.

Who is looking at Angelina's tattoos? :pop2:

I second Don's suggestion. A flesh colored panel is the easiest fix.

xshrpshtr
02-04-08, 10:15 PM
I'm with the dress alteration. All too simple to do.

Rolex
02-04-08, 10:36 PM
A tattoo brands the wearer forever. If you have to hide your sins, you have a long row to hoe. ........from a 26 year Navy submariner. Too bad you were afraid to play Dad some time ago.

I don't think you're being fair to the OP here. Young adults make their own decisions about radical things like getting tattoos. More often than not, they do these things at the point in their lives when their peers bear a greater influence over their decisions then their parents. Good or bad, the fact that this gentleman's daughter has ink has positively nothing to do with what kind of parent he is. To assume it does is utterly absurd IMO.

I have wonderful parents. My sister and I were raised with the same ideals under the same roof, and you couldn't find two people more different than we.

Ranger
02-04-08, 11:16 PM
We also have to keep in mind that we do not know how old she was when she got it. That said, it is irrelevant to the original question, HOW TO HIDE IT.

dkozloski
02-04-08, 11:32 PM
I don't think you're being fair to the OP here. Young adults make their own decisions about radical things like getting tattoos. More often than not, they do these things at the point in their lives when their peers bear a greater influence over their decisions then their parents. Good or bad, the fact that this gentleman's daughter has ink has positively nothing to do with what kind of parent he is. To assume it does is utterly absurd IMO.

I have wonderful parents. My sister and I were raised with the same ideals under the same roof, and you couldn't find two people more different than we.
It's a shame that the young peoples version of showing their individuality involves joining in the lemming herd headed over the cliff.

Spyder
02-05-08, 01:01 AM
I still say that unless its inappropriate material, let it be seen. She's got tattoos, so what? They're a part of her, not HER. Why would she want to hide a part of herself?!

hueterm
02-05-08, 01:15 AM
I would think that anything used to cover up the tat would get all over the dress (which is probably some kind of shiny satin or something that would show).

xshrpshtr
02-05-08, 01:16 AM
My dad refused to stand with my real mom at my wedding. He said it would be an insult to his wife(the witch who beat us daily). He couldn't man up for ten minutes. My mom was the bigger man that day.

Weddings are wierd. People get all bent and shit. Best to go along to get along. It's not her day. It is the brides day. The classy thing to do is to be the bigger man and bow to her wishes for one day. She will have to suck it up and be bigger than they are for half a day or face shit for years down the road...

Red_October_7000
02-05-08, 01:19 AM
It's a shame that the young peoples version of showing their individuality involves joining in the lemming herd headed over the cliff.

Not everyone who does something that is often done by idiots is an idiot, Koz. My girlfriend was in her 30s when she got her tattoos and they are all her own artwork and in easily concealable places. I'd guess that someone with a large back piece is not some drunken kid who got some stupid Kanji that they can't even read that probably says something like "Stupid Gaijin" when they think it says "Princess", as back pieces cost a lot of money and take a lot of time, but hey, some idiots have more money than brain, so who are we to judge when we don't know the circumstances?

ewill3rd
02-05-08, 06:33 AM
I wouldn't dare to assume I knew what the circumstances were surrounding the installation of this tattoo art.
I know what my personal feelings are about them.
As far as I am concerned there are two factors involved here.

1. If she put art on her back it is now part of her, I am assuming she is not ashamed of it, so she shouldn't be afraid to show it.
2. Apparently this is not her wedding... I believe the OP said that it is her friends wedding and she is a bridesmaid. This is the key factor. If the bride wants her friend by her side, but doesn't want people to be distracted by her back art then she should make an effort to fulfill the bride's wishes.

No reason to assume we know what is going on, judge this guy, his daughter, and everyone involved. Their decisions are theirs to make. Think what you want but it doesn't seem very friendly to be pushing our views on people we don't even know.
I know my friends are still my friends whether they have tattoos or not.

urbanski
02-05-08, 07:33 AM

then they can make the adult decision for laser removal.

MauiV
02-05-08, 07:34 AM
Yep, I sure am glad my wife and I took off alone and were married at The Biltmore with exactly ZERO friends and family there.

I watched my brother and sister go through this goat rope at their weddings. That was enough for me to know that the only person I wanted at mine was my bride. I do feel a bit sad that her mother was unable to attend (her only child) but the rest would have got bent out of shape and I just aint up for the drama that our friend here is dealing with.

I would have to say that this decision is ultimately up to your daughter. Personally I would tell the bride to go pound sand. If you want me in the wedding, I will wear the outfit you picked out (I presume she knew about the tat when the dresses were picked?) or I will sit in the audience and show support for my brother, but I am not going to cover up something I am not ashamed of to make you more comfortable.

My sister had 2 different types of dresses in her wedding party because a couple of girls in the party were caught in a bus fire as children and didnt want to expose any more of their scaring than necessary so more material was on them that others.

Let us know what the resolution is.

ewill3rd
02-05-08, 08:00 AM
I used to wear my hair long, my best friend got married and asked me to be an usher at his wedding, I was kind of honored until he started telling me how to wear my hair because they didn't want any of the guests to be offended by my long hair.
Turns out the person that got offended was me, that was pretty much the last time I saw him. I didn't go.

MauiV
02-05-08, 08:10 AM
Sounds like you got the better end of that deal Will.

Rolex
02-05-08, 09:19 AM

I wouldn't know about that. I have almost always gone my own way.

MauiV
02-05-08, 09:24 AM
I wouldn't know about that. I have almost always gone my own way.

You are as unique as a snowflake. Just like everyone else.

malcolm
02-05-08, 09:33 AM
My daughter was 22 when she got the tat so being Daddy was not the problem, she's a grown woman. The tat is our family crest that is my avatar and was done to honor the memory of her deceased Scottish grandfather and she loves it and so do I for that matter. Anyway, her brother is marrying a bridezilla who is a little on the shallow and petty side when it comes to appearances. My wife is the one engineering the coverup "thing" but from what I have googled there is no real fool proof solution and it's probably going to look like sh!t covered up and all I want is to keep the peace for the 30 minute ceremony. Since it's a winter wedding in NJ I was hoping for gowns that would have covered but they are backless. These girls are going to freeze their a$$'s off.

Submariner409
02-05-08, 10:20 AM
Ah, so. My fault. Bad timing for a back-handed slap.

RunningOnEMT
02-05-08, 10:48 AM
we had this same "problem" in a wedding i was just in.... the bride's sister has a bunch of tattoos that needed covering.

Probably the best thing to try is go to a theater supply house and get pancake makeup or liquid latex makeup they can tint it to her skintone. "Sister's" tats were covered but you're right they looked like crap....she wound up wearing a shawl for pictures

malcolm
02-05-08, 10:49 AM
Nah Submariner409, we're cool.

Here's the funny part. As I said it's really a problem only for my future daughter in law who seems to have a problem :crying2:with my daughter's tat. My son, the guy she's marrying is also tattooed. I'm thinking WTF. Anyway, they are all adults and it's their choice:banghead:. Me, I don't have any so I don't know where they get it from.:helpless:

xshrpshtr
02-05-08, 11:01 AM
Just have the dress filled in, in the back area with a very thin skin tone flap. Any seamstress could do it in an hour. I understand the feeling that she will be offended but it is her friends day. Weddings get people berserk. If she loves her friend, then altering the dress slightly to keep the peace seems a very simple fix. There is no telling how many people will be offended by the end of the day. Whether this person would do the same for you is something you will ask yourself but still. This is the brides day. She and God knows how many others will ask for this and that. As understanding friends we must be the bigger person and get through the day with a smile. Let others be petty and as a better person one must smile and get through the day for thier sake. There are times to stand up for your convictions. Another brides day is not the day. Let her have her day. Smile and know you are doing the right thing for the given situation.

malcolm
02-05-08, 11:19 AM
There is a dress fitting tomorrow and I will make that suggestion. That's all I want it peace and had things pretty well calmed down after talking to daughter about taking the high road and the whole "brides day" approach and just when things were quieting down along come a sister in law that says "thats BS, be who you are" and the whole thing starts brewing again. Family "stuff" nothing like it. And may I say it's the women at this point, all the guys could care less but if mama ain't happy, nobody is happy.

RunningOnEMT
02-05-08, 11:21 AM
I'm tattooed i love my tattoos and i'll get more just to spite :koz:

i'd only cover them up if i was asked nicely and given a good reason (weddings count as a good reason) but my tattoos are who i am

BigJon
02-05-08, 11:24 AM
ya i hear ya.. i been to 45+ weddings and i have seem somethings that just make people snap before the end of the night i hope that this is all fixed and good luck to ya... remember girls likes things perfect....

dkozloski
02-05-08, 12:07 PM
This is one time I agree with letting the tats show. My only concern is that no matter how bitchy the bride gets, it's still her day so I wouldn't want to create a distraction to spoil that for her. Anybody that would get bent out of shape about it has problems of their own. Stress makes people react in wierd ways so keep us posted on how it turns out.

dkozloski
02-05-08, 12:09 PM
I'm tattooed i love my tattoos and i'll get more just to spite :koz:

i'd only cover them up if i was asked nicely and given a good reason (weddings count as a good reason) but my tattoos are who i am
I am okay with your tats. Just don't ask me to match them. You only go around once and if you want to go decorated it's fine with me. It's a passing fad that happens to be on an upswing in the pop culture.

xshrpshtr
02-05-08, 12:27 PM
I'm getting a Koz tattoo :koz:

dkozloski
02-05-08, 01:17 PM
I'm getting a Koz tattoo :koz:
Would that be copyright infringement or unauthorized use of a trademark?

xshrpshtr
02-05-08, 01:32 PM
It's better than my other idea of a pile of coal on one cheek and the devil on the other cheek, shovelling coal into my hole and flames coming out of it all up my back...

dkozloski
02-05-08, 01:46 PM
One of the local boy geniuses decided to embark on a life of crime so before he committed his first armed robbery he had swear word tattooed all over his face so he wouldn't be recognized.

NOT ON MY WATCH
02-05-08, 01:53 PM
Have the dress altered and have a flesh toned panel sewn onto the open portion of the back. Seems like it would be the easiest route to go.

Don

Professional makeup and this suggestion from Dadillac are likely your best bets. Chose the right flesh-tone panel and professional seamstress and it's likely 99% of people won't even notice.

xshrpshtr
02-05-08, 03:21 PM
You must be kidding. He did it knowing he was about to do this with the intention of not being recognised? There is no way anyone can be that stupid.
One of the local boy geniuses decided to embark on a life of crime so before he committed his first armed robbery he had swear word tattooed all over his face so he wouldn't be recognized.

dkozloski
02-06-08, 09:45 AM
You must be kidding. He did it knowing he was about to do this with the intention of not being recognised? There is no way anyone can be that stupid.
It's straight from the front page of the local paper. The guy said that with the tattoos he thought he wouldn't be recognized.

xshrpshtr
02-06-08, 11:22 AM
Is there another reality I know nothing about? I can not fathom the level of stupidity this even takes to consider. I'm litterally at a loss. I can not for the life of me even conjure a thought that could possibly arrive at that conclusion. Not even a child of 8 or 9 would be able to come up with that.

dkozloski
02-06-08, 12:28 PM
Is there another reality I know nothing about? I can not fathom the level of stupidity this even takes to consider. I'm litterally at a loss. I can not for the life of me even conjure a thought that could possibly arrive at that conclusion. Not even a child of 8 or 9 would be able to come up with that.
You probably haven't smoked enough dope yet. Give it some time.

The Tony Show
02-06-08, 03:23 PM
^ :lol:

dkozloski
02-06-08, 03:40 PM
You probably haven't smoked enough dope yet. Give it some time.
That didn't come out quite like I'd intended. The guy with the tattoos on his face had smoked enough dope that it made sense to him.

xshrpshtr
02-06-08, 04:01 PM
I'm offended! Banishment! A curse upon you and your house! May the fleas of a thousand camels infest your armpits!

dkozloski
02-06-08, 04:58 PM
They already tried to make my wife a widow and my house into a dung heap. So far my flea collar has everything under control. Beside there aren't any fleas in Alaska. Lice are the parasite infestation of choice.

xshrpshtr
02-06-08, 07:20 PM
May the lice of a thousand polar bears find a home in your adult diaper!

dkozloski
02-06-08, 07:38 PM
May the lice of a thousand polar bears find a home in your adult diaper!
They already declared surrender and left.

ewill3rd
02-07-08, 09:04 AM
We had real wood tick problems up in North Dakota too, along with mosquitos. Don't say the word lice around my wife, she'll flip out.
She got the "super-lice" in Berkeley one time.... what a harrowing experience that was. Those little bastages wouldn't die!

Spyder
02-07-08, 12:07 PM
In Berkeley? Imagine that...

EcSTSatic
02-07-08, 01:28 PM
Here's Berkeley today... :mad2:

http://www.ktvu.com/news/15240235/detail.html

Spyder
02-07-08, 01:51 PM
Ha. I hope it passes.

dkozloski
02-07-08, 02:41 PM
I remember walking across the Berkely campus in the '60s and saying to myself, "I hope the foreign students don't think that all Americans are like these creeps".

ewill3rd
02-07-08, 02:48 PM
It isn't much better these days koz... I remember thinking as I walked accross campus.... "don't they sell soap around here anywhere?"

xshrpshtr
02-07-08, 09:30 PM
The sadder thing is the rest of the world wants us to be like those creeps...

Submariner409
02-07-08, 09:51 PM
berkeley and california are not worth printer ink. (Lower case intended)(Maryland is not far behind....)

dkozloski
02-08-08, 10:34 AM
I inadvertently drove right into the middle of a campus riot at the University of Maryland during the early '70s. It was indistinguishable from Berkely. I announced to the guys riding with me that I wasn't stopping until we were high centered on the bodies and the wheels were spinning in the blood. State Police with dogs cleared a path for us and it was rather uneventful.

xshrpshtr
02-08-08, 11:09 AM
They would've rolled your car over and burned it with you all still in it if you had an American flag on it somewhere...

dkozloski
02-08-08, 12:58 PM
They would've rolled your car over and burned it with you all still in it if you had an American flag on it somewhere...
Later reports were that half the rioters were FBI infiltrators.