: throttle/choke springs???

beerlover
02-04-08, 08:08 AM
I have a 87 Brougham with the 307. I was looking at it this weekend and noticed 2 coil springs at the carb just under the air intake portion of the air filter housing. They are just hanging there not connected to anything. Does anyone have a pic or diagram of how these should be properly connected? I was thinking they have something to do with the choke or throttle, but my manual doesn't show or mention anything about them.

ewill3rd
02-04-08, 08:12 AM
Do you have a pic of how they are not supposed to look? Are they on the left side (driver) of the carb or the right?
Sounds like return springs, but hard to say without a visual.

beerlover
02-04-08, 12:11 PM
They are on the drivers side of the carb. I'm thinking they're throttle return springs, but I don't know where they hook on. When I come to a stoplight, it doesn't really seem like my idle is returning to as low a level as it should. I'll try to get a picture.

N0DIH
02-04-08, 02:19 PM
Like this: http://www.jegs.com/images/photos/55515225.jpg?

It strikes me as throttle return springs. Get them back on ASAP, dangerous without.

Pull air cleaner off, and you will see the holes to insert them into. On spring sits inside of the other... They share the same holes. It is safety having both.

ewill3rd
02-04-08, 02:56 PM
You need to get those back on there.
A good picture will help us tell you where to.
I suspect that it looks just like that picture above ^^^^^

beerlover
02-07-08, 09:08 AM
Yep - that's them! Mine are all rusted and stretched out, and the hook on the ends is broken off. I assume they hook into a little metal tab with a hole in it that is in the vicinity. I'll try to find a new set or at the least, go to Lowe's and get some springs of a similar size. Thanks guys!

beerlover
02-10-08, 10:22 AM
The springs are no longer available through GM. I just got some similar sized ones from Lowe's and put them on and it seems good as new.