: Drove my Catera in first snow dump. TC question...??

HappyWolverine
02-03-08, 09:21 PM
We had a pretty severe snow storm here in Toronto so I got to test the 2000 Catera out in it for the first time in very bad road conditions.

The T.C. icon would flash incessantly and it seemed to limit my RPMS. Is this the desired effect of traction control? Is there a way to turn it off? As well, can someone tell me what the snowflake button is by the shifter? Is this a crappy snow car or what?

I had a Mustang GT that was very bad in the snow but that car was like a snowmobile compared to the Catera boy. Not a fun drive home, I just couldn't get the torque I needed to get moving. Granted road conditions were brutal but EVERYONE was blowing by me. Going the slightest grade of uphill was near impossible and I dreaded stopping for fear that I wouldn't get going again. It was probaly the worst driving experience in the snow I've had.

Other than that I really love this car in normal conditions, great handling, no complaints, and no problems with the TC light coming on other than during slippery and snowy conditions.

Maybe I'm just not used to it. I don't know.

Regards,

Drew

bobbarker
02-03-08, 09:24 PM
If the T.C. icon is flashing off and on it is not on. When on it will be lit at all times. I always use T.C. during snowstorms because it is easier to control the car.

HappyWolverine
02-03-08, 09:31 PM
yes it's flashing on and off. Is there a way to turn TC off?

You know, maybe I hit that snowflake button a couple times come to think of it. :(

My other car is a FWD Dodge Spirit that tears thru the snow like a sled. Maybe I'm juts used to that but damn was it a harrwoing and SLOW, sliding drive home.

todd2fst4u
02-03-08, 09:37 PM
If the T.C. icon is flashing off and on it is not on. When on it will be lit at all times. I always use T.C. during snowstorms because it is easier to control the car.

this is false,
if the tc light was blinking that means tc was currently active and was turned on. when disabled the tc light will stay on constantly. to turn off tc, there is a button to the right of the radio labeled TCS OFF.

the snowflake button starts the car in third gear to increase traction.

HappyWolverine
02-03-08, 09:44 PM
this is false,
if the tc light was blinking that means tc was currently active and was turned on. when disabled the tc light will stay on constantly. to turn off tc, there is a button to the right of the radio labeled TCS OFF.

the snowflake button starts the car in third gear to increase traction.

aaahhhhh..thanks man. Next snowfall we'll be trying it without TC becasue thatexperience really sucked balls.

I really appreciate the headup. Excuse my ignorance.

d

bobbarker
02-03-08, 09:45 PM
It has nothing to do with the snowflake button, that is used when starting out on slippery surface. Turn your TC on it's the second button next to your radio. It's blinking because it is turned off. I live near you and experienced the same snow storm. I always drive in slippery weather with traction control on. Here's a link to the 2000 owner's manual https://www.mygmlink.com/pdf/go2content/manual/US/en/cadillac/2000catera.pdf

bobbarker
02-03-08, 09:52 PM
Sorry I gave you incorrect information, you can turn the system off by pushing the button next to your radio.

HappyWolverine
02-03-08, 09:59 PM
Thanks guys.

I really appreciate the link to the manual as mine came in French, car was from Hull.

How do you find the Catera to be overall in the snow?

todd2fst4u
02-03-08, 10:01 PM
It has nothing to do with the snowflake button, that is used when starting out on slippery surface. Turn your TC on it's the second button next to your radio. It's blinking because it is turned off. I live near you and experienced the same snow storm. I always drive in slippery weather with traction control on. Here's a link to the 2000 owner's manual https://www.mygmlink.com/pdf/go2content/manual/US/en/cadillac/2000catera.pdf

you are 100% wrong,
that button turns OFF traction control.
it says in the link you provided on page 2-70, "When this warning light is on, the system will not limit wheel spin." ie, traction control is off.
and on page 4-9, "When the system is limiting wheel spin, the Traction Control System warning light will be blinking."
and page 4-10, "To turn the system off, press the TCS OFF button located near the radio on the center console."

HappyWolverine
02-03-08, 10:15 PM
.and it goes on to say when STUCK IN SNOW turn TC off :O which is what I really needed to do but didn't, but now I know so thanks guys!

maybe this car isn't worse than the GT in snow after all

elvin315
02-04-08, 03:06 AM
Now that's settled, what tires are you using? I'm in Buffalo and received the same snow. If you don't have honest to God snow tires on all 4 corners you can expect trouble. The Catera is light out back and needs all the traction she can get. I use Michelin X-Ice snows and it makes driving in this stuff easier. Not terrific, just easier. The driving world drove rwd cars before fwd took over and we survived. It takes a new set of skills. Find an empty corner of a parking lot and practice throttle control, skid control, and braking. It can be fun.

PS: The snowflake will only work from a standing start and will lock out 1st & 2nd gears until 30MPH. Beyond that it will shut itself off. It's designed to limit wheelspin from a standing start. You have to select it again at the next stop if necessary.

Elvin