: A glimpse of the motoring future... from 1960.

AMGoff
02-02-08, 04:52 PM
The guys over at AB dug this up from the dredges of youtube... I wonder if the creators of the Jetsons used this little clip as their inspiration - there are some striking similarities.

Either way... I'd be curious as to whether or not those who made this video would be horribly disappointed by our seemingly lack of progress over the last 50 years... they did get pretty close on a couple of their predictions though...

Enjoy!

6S18LCISRm4

eldorado99
02-02-08, 06:02 PM
Hahahaha, that is so cool... It's too bad they weren't right with their prediction, at least not yet. That would be one cool place to live. The sheer amount of energy needed to run a system like that makes it seem very very distant in the future. We haven't even figured out how to fix the energy problems associated with the oil powered car yet, let alone finding energy for "air conditioned tunnels" across the desert.

DILLIGAF
02-02-08, 07:10 PM
Very cool! Thanks

Jesda
02-02-08, 10:19 PM
Chunnel
Satnav
Live traffic (CTS XM traffic)
Moving walkways (airports)

SvB4EvA
02-03-08, 02:20 AM
haha, that was cool! Good find

Florian
02-03-08, 12:39 PM
job well done...I enjoyed that.

F

HITMONEY
02-03-08, 05:17 PM
That was cool, its amazing how much of that they got right to an extent.

hueterm
02-03-08, 10:12 PM
Other than computers/internet and cell phones, I can't think of anything now is that is completely revolutionary vs. 1960. Still the same basic design of houses and cars (i.e. not Jetson pod houses and cars). Just a lot of evolutionary advances, significant as they may be.

It would be interesting to know from some of the guys here that were around and of a sufficient age to know what was going on -- by the 2000s, what did you think things would be like? Is is more or less advanced now than you thought it would be?

JTraik
02-04-08, 10:00 AM
I want to see those cantilever highways through mountain ranges!!! There are still a few things in there that are likely to occur and that would actually be practical. I like the punch-card-programmed autopilot too!

ejguillot
02-04-08, 04:51 PM
There's something about that video clip (and the era) that I like (and is sadly missing from today's world). That is the unrestrained (even naive) OPTIMISM throughout. The view that all that is doable, even inevitable, is something that we as a country could use today (instead of all the drubbing about how the world is going to hell in a handbasket).

Another thing: As I see it, the whole premise of the video is based on energy (in its various forms) being so cheap as to be almost free. How else could you justify heated roadways? :o I want my fusion reactor NOW!!! :D

JTraik
02-04-08, 06:04 PM
There's something about that video clip (and the era) that I like (and is sadly missing from today's world). That is the unrestrained (even naive) OPTIMISM throughout. The view that all that is doable, even inevitable, is something that we as a country could use today (instead of all the drubbing about how the world is going to hell in a handbasket).

Thats what happens when liberals reproduce into mass numbers.

xshrpshtr
02-04-08, 06:25 PM
Sad thing is. If we didn't have to baby sit/fund every other country on Earth with foreign Aid. We could probably have a highway system much like that. Alas. The rest of the world needs your money more than you do anyway.