: Milky Oil Cap

frmg0014
02-02-08, 07:15 AM
Note that this is the first winter that I've owned this car considering that I purchased it on November.

Well I've noticed this since it began getting cold (below 0 degrees Celcius). I always find a milky substance under the oil cap and the upper part of the filler neck.

I've been monitoring this for the past 2 months. The dipstick is always clean, and no signs of coolant mixing with it. I've already changed my oil and the old oil was fine, and now the new oil is still clean, and it's still not showing any signs of coolant mixing in there.

Exhaust doesn't have any smell of coolant (sweet smell), and doesn't smoke unusually. Coolant resevoir is also not loosing any coolant. Car doesn't overheat, and no loss of power.

The car is driven on the highway and local roads. Usually a 15min drive on local roads towards the highway, then a good 15min drive on the highway to work.

Do you guys think I should worry about this? Is this normal on a Catera? Does this car have a PCV Valve? If so where could I locate this?

inconnu
02-02-08, 07:50 PM
Its normal in cold weather,as long as you are not loosing coolant,dont worry about it.

carnut
02-02-08, 11:17 PM
While I agree with the above poster, I would verify the engine is getting to normal operating temperature quickly. A weak thermostat opening too soon would cause the engine to delay getting to temp. That then would build up condensation

PEETYZ
02-03-08, 12:35 PM
clean it out with a paper towell as much you can it has happened to me to with no other problems you wil be just fine just check the oil and coolant levels periodically the white is from condensation make sure oil cap tightened well after you clean out the milky residue