: Buying a vehicle with no title

BrentNewland
02-01-08, 12:44 AM
Is there any way to safely buy a vehicle with no title (colorado)? From what I hear, the first thing to do would be to get a vin check and make sure it's not under lien or theft (or something else bad). Then I would want to follow certain steps to get a title, as Colorado form DR-2922 says.

1. Vin Verification
2. Title Search (colorado and whichever state it came from)
3. Vehicle Appraisal
4. Surety/Title Bond
5. Statement of Facts
6. Title Application

I actually found a girl at 43 Things that went through the process in Colorado (http://www.43things.com/things/view/816562/bond-and-title-my-car), as well as a Metafilter thread on the subject (http://ask.metafilter.com/32384/what-do-i-do-with-this-car-with-no-title).

Any thoughts on the subject?

1989 Jeep Cherokee Runs - No title - $300
Reply to: sale-xxxxxxxxxx@craigslist.org
Date: 2008-01-20, 12:19PM MST

1989 Jeep Cherokee i bought from a friend but i never got the title. I am in the middle of processing for the title (i.e. i have the paperwork stating that no one else in colorado owns this car and i was able to get temp tags) but i really don't feel like dealing with this jeep, it's only 2 wheel drive and the wiring needs to be fixed and i'm not a mechanic. It does run and it has a good set of tires and rims. Please contact me i am willing to part with it for 300 because that's how much people have been telling me the rims and wheels are worth.

I've asked for more info on the car as well as the vin.

dkozloski
02-01-08, 01:33 AM
Around here you post a bond equal to the value of the vehicle in case the real owner shows up. Your insurance agent should be able to help you. It's a five minute deal at DMV if you have all the paperwork.

BrentNewland
02-01-08, 12:22 PM
What do you have to pay for the bond (out of pocket), and does that get kept permanently?

dkozloski
02-01-08, 12:54 PM
The cost of the bond depends on the value of the car and you only buy it once. There is a time limit on when the original owner can come back on you. Usually all this stuff only applies to abandoned junkers that nobody wants anyhow. The odds are that an abandoned car has already been payed off by an insurance company and the last thing the owner wants is to see the car show back up to where he has to give the money back. Have you run a CarFax?

BrentNewland
02-27-08, 12:09 AM
I decided it would be a hassle to get the vehicle, so I passed. Plus, I would have to pay double insurance to get any benefit from it.

However, I have the option of getting another vehicle with no title from my deceased grandfather.

Night Wolf
02-27-08, 12:15 AM
Yeah, unless it's going to be for parts, or a race car or off-road truck, I've heard it's more of a hassle then it's worth.

Of course it should be easier if buying a car with no title if you get a similar car to a car you used to have that was wrecked that you no longer have but still have the clear title in your name along with the VIN plate..... :lildevil:

dkozloski
02-27-08, 12:41 AM
Yeah, unless it's going to be for parts, or a race car or off-road truck, I've heard it's more of a hassle then it's worth.

Of course it should be easier if buying a car with no title if you get a similar car to a car you used to have that was wrecked that you no longer have but still have the clear title in your name along with the VIN plate..... :lildevil:
By federal law the VIN# is stamped in seven different places on the car. Some are secret.

Night Wolf
02-27-08, 12:43 AM
Oh, I know.

JC316
02-27-08, 02:31 AM
It's a bummer. I see alot of these types of things on Craigslist, most IMO are stolen. It would be easier to just get one with a title.

Night Wolf
02-27-08, 06:50 AM
Yeah, theres really no reason not to have a title to a car... unless is one of those, oh this car has been parked in the barn for 30yrs, gramps passed on and now we are selling off the farm, nobody knows where the paperwork is etc.... Although what was it, '73? or something when titles first came out. Car with no title should throw up a red flag.

Spyder
02-27-08, 10:49 AM
Nah, I've bought more than a dozen non-titled cars. In California, at least it used to be this way, after seven years its out of the system and you just have to go to DMV and reapply for the title. Highway Patrol will have to come check the vin number to make sure its not stolen and you'll have to get a taillight and turn signal inspection. Or at least thats what they tell you. I've never had to even do the light inspection, though the CHP has checked out about half of them to verify the vin. It's really not that big of a hassle...although I wouldn't bother doing it for a car that I could just as easily find another.
Every time I've done it was for a rare car or an old one that I wanted to build...for example, my 63 thunderbird, my 63 mercury monterey, my 59 lincoln, my 68 sport fury, my 72 challenger...etc etc etc

BrentNewland
02-27-08, 02:50 PM
Found out my grandfather's truck is a 1975 Ford F-100 with a 390 FE engine. Definitely want it now; asked someone to do a vin search, but it's too old, so I'll check with the DMV.

dkozloski
02-27-08, 03:13 PM
A truck that old would have so little value that the cost of a bond would be near zero. In fact around here I've had DMV waive the bond several times.

BrentNewland
02-29-08, 01:11 AM
I've got the forms for a title search now, I just need to get a money order for $2.70 and mail it off. Family wants me to restore it (at least my mother), but I wouldn't mind putting it in a late 60's mustang. Lots of mods for that engine (fuel injection for $4000, super and turbo are both available, and of course all internal parts have performance counterparts).

OffThaHorseCEO
02-29-08, 01:07 PM
im trying to buy an 1987 cutlass salon from a guy, he claims hes selling it for his friend, the car is a texas car, and he has the bill of sale, but no title. hes supposedly in the process of getting the title from texas, is there an easier way or is that the only way

Spyder
02-29-08, 01:08 PM
Sounds fishy...selling it for a friend...or selling it for the guy he ripped it off from?