: Member intro

Jay313
01-31-08, 06:12 PM
Hey folks, just became a member today, though I have been lurking through the threads for the last few month. Figured I'd start here, give you all a little history, tell you a bit about myself, and show you some of my past work.

As my user name suggest, my name is Jay. Currently, I live in a historic district in downtown Phoenix, and spend most of my off time doing resto work on the home. I work for a financial company on a institutional trade platform (NSCC). I have an MBA, a few FIRNA (NASD) licenses, and am working on a CFP right now. I'm also expecting my first child in a couple of months.

I grew up in the Detroit area, and have always owned American cars. My parents had a 97 STS, a 98 ETC and a 2000 Catera, all of which I drove when I was in my earlier 20's. My family has always had a connection with Cadillac, considering my family history. My Great-Grandfather worked on the Fisher-Body line back in the teens through fourties. My Grandfather worked over 30 years at Cadillac as a linesman on the main assembly line. I have all sorts of cool collectibles from him... UAW pins, his 20th, 25th and 30th anniversary pins, as well as his old work badge.
http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n4/Darcsun/IMG_1603.jpg

That's him. Those old Cadillac badges are nothing like the cheap ones we all get nowadays. Anyways, my first ride is a 2007 Cadillac CTS. I picked it up with the 0% financing and the family discount. It's only a 2.8l, but it was the only 6 speed in the local area. Since we don't drive automatics in my family, the wife and I jumped on it. We put the rims on the first week, and a spoiler arrived this week. I'll be adding tha iPod adaptor and hardwiring a radar detector in the coming weeks.

http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n4/Darcsun/2007%20Cadillac%20CTS/IMG_1508.jpg

I'll probably check in here to learn more about Cadillacís, and definitely plan on buy more of them in the future. I tend to so most of my own automotive work, but have focuses on Camaros and Mustangs in the past. Here are the two rides I had before the Cadillac.

http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n4/Darcsun/2006%20Mustang%20GT/IMG_0164.jpg

http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n4/Darcsun/2003%20Mustang%20Cobra/438351_66_full.jpg

And finally... my current project. 331 Stroker with a little bit of nitrous. Still a work in progress.
http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n4/Darcsun/1990%20Mustang%20LX/IMG_0381.jpg

Hope I didn't bore you all. Anyways, nice to meet everyone.

urbanski
01-31-08, 06:48 PM
howdy

gary88
01-31-08, 06:52 PM
Welcome! That work badge is really neat.

dkozloski
01-31-08, 07:17 PM
Do they still have a statue of Frank Luke in Phoenix? My dad worked on his plane in France in WW1.

joee5
01-31-08, 08:48 PM
Welcome. Ima newbie meself. Looks like you got lotsa history there. God Bless, Joe

cooncat
01-31-08, 08:52 PM
Welcome to the Cadillac Forums family Jay. You will find it to be very interesting. You may want to become involved in some meets in your area. I found that a great way to may friends and talk about Caddy's and other things.

You have a beautiful car.

Rolex
01-31-08, 09:57 PM
:welcome:

Lord Cadillac
02-01-08, 01:05 AM
Welcome aboard! That wasn't an boring introduction at all. Thank you for signing up!

CadillacSTS42005
02-01-08, 11:09 AM
welcome!

CadillacGurl
02-01-08, 11:35 AM
Welcome to the forum!!

Jay313
02-05-08, 01:26 PM
Thanks for the welcome everyone. I started working on the Caddy this week. I've been working w/ Fords for about the last 7 years, and had forgotten how easy GM cars were to work on. I just added a spoiler, but I messed around and took out some interior trim pieces just to see how easy the iPod adaptor would be. Seems to be a cake to work on. I just wish the 2.8 had some more aftermarket parts availible.

xshrpshtr
02-05-08, 01:36 PM
I recognise the pic at the Grand Canyon. What an amazing place.

AMGoff
02-05-08, 01:41 PM
Welcome and Congrats on the fine car!

It's always good to have another Ford conquest!

Jay313
02-05-08, 01:45 PM
Welcome and Congrats on the fine car!

It's always good to have another Ford conquest!

Actually, it's kind of the other way around. I was all GM until my 96 Z28 blew a motor at 13,000 miles. GM gave me a Geo rental for four months while the dealer tried to fix it. I decided to buy all Fords since 99 when that happened. I wouldn't have considered another GM product unless it was a caddy. I'm pretty happy with the choice. Hopefully this will be a better experience then I had in the past.

AMGoff
02-05-08, 01:54 PM
Actually, it's kind of the other way around. I was all GM until my 96 Z28 blew a motor at 13,000 miles. GM gave me a Geo rental for four months while the dealer tried to fix it. I decided to buy all Fords since 99 when that happened. I wouldn't have considered another GM product unless it was a caddy. I'm pretty happy with the choice. Hopefully this will be a better experience then I had in the past.

Ah, I see.... Everyone makes lemons, some just more than others. From most accounts though, the 2.8 is a decent little motor.

Was it a new, leftover '07? If you don't mind me asking, what kind of deal did you get on it? I've been curious about that since the redesign came out.

NOT ON MY WATCH
02-05-08, 01:58 PM
Welcome, Jay! Thanks especially for sharing the badge - I love seeing historical items like that.

Playdrv4me
02-05-08, 02:13 PM
That badge would probably go for like 9 Million dollars on the Antiques Roadshow. They love stuff like that.

Jay313
02-05-08, 08:19 PM
Was it a new, leftover '07? If you don't mind me asking, what kind of deal did you get on it? I've been curious about that since the redesign came out.

Well, it was really cheap. We got 0% financing for 6 years and the GM family discount. With that price, it only cost $3 a month then out 2006 Mustang GT. We could have got a more upscale one w/ a bigger motor, but the only thing we wanted was a manual trans.

SvB4EvA
02-05-08, 08:41 PM
Welcome to the forums! That was a great intro. Enjoy the CTS! I love mine :thumbsup:

BigJon
02-05-08, 11:34 PM
loved the intro... i love history glad to see some of it since i live he in Michigan glad to have you aboard