From Bob Lutz's blog:

http://fastlane.gmblogs.com/images/MichState_ZR1_web.jpg
http://fastlane.gmblogs.com/archives/2008/01/your_worst_nigh_1.html

"Your worst nightmare.
Go ahead… make their day. Just try and outrun them!” ~Bob Lutz

:gothiscared:

gothicaleigh
01-31-08, 03:55 PM
Designed solely for the purpose of nabbing drug traffickers along the highways between Canada and Chicago, the Michigan State Police ZR1 is the catalyst to, inevitably, end the war on drugs.

Troopers designated to operate the modified ZR1 underwent rigorous G-force testing at NASA’s Dryden Aircraft Operations Facility in California. Each driver will be required to wear a thermoplastic-reinforced garrison cap.

Top British Secret Service designer, Q, assisted the Michigan State Police in the design of compartmentalized crime-fighting contraptions including deployable spike strips from the rear underbody, a side-mounted, modified Heckler & Kock GMG grenade launcher, and a yet-to-be-seen cloaking device (details are a proprietary secret, of course).

Ah, we’re just having some fun with the picture Bob Lutz posted on GM’s FastLane Blog. There’s no doubt that a ZR1 “blue goose” would be something to fear, but it’s unlikely police would dare utilize a $100,000 vehicle.

Lutz posted this on the site: “Go ahead… make their day. Just try and outrun them!”

Leave your best MSP ZR1 slogan in the comments. http://news.windingroad.com/auto-news/chevrolet/bob-lutz-displays-michigan-state-police-corvette-zr1-on-blog/

MauiV
01-31-08, 03:57 PM
Im sure it will be useful for the 2 weeks of decent weather they get a year.

Playdrv4me
01-31-08, 04:06 PM
It's just a photoshop someone sent Lutz that was really well done and that he really liked and in turn put up on the blog.

Would be awesome if it was made even just into a concept show vehicle.

MauiV
01-31-08, 04:30 PM
Yes I know, just being my normal smartass.

Sinister Angel
01-31-08, 05:16 PM
Heh, Mackinaw would be all over that shit if they actually tried getting a ZR1

SvB4EvA
01-31-08, 05:51 PM
lol yea, total photoshop... BUT here in NY, i was upstate on the NYS thruway once and I saw a cop car parked in the median, it was a C4 Vette! Painted with the sirens on top and all. It looked pretty bad ass. haha

Here in the city, the cops are also driving around in Chargers too.
http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2006/08/21/nyregion/21cars.xlarge1.jpg

EDITTTTTTTTT:

While going threw pics of cop cars... I landed on this bad boy... whoa! Photoshop or real deal? Looks pretty damn real to me!

http://www.strangevehicles.com/images/content/110539.jpg

Blackout
01-31-08, 08:25 PM
While going threw pics of cop cars... I landed on this bad boy... whoa! Photoshop or real deal? Looks pretty damn real to me!

http://www.strangevehicles.com/images/content/110539.jpg
It's real but not real. It's real in that that is what the car looks like but it's not a real cop car. I forget the name of the township but they have a bunch of nice cars done up too look like cop cars that they bring out for this car show that happens every year or something like that. I remember seeing that pic a little while ago

LS1Mike
01-31-08, 09:35 PM
http://www.mitchell.derbycounty.co.uk/2001%20chevy%20camaro%20police%20car.jpg
Washington state has a few of these running up and down the I-5 Corridor, some unmarked. Don't ask me how I know.
Although this one is from somewhere else.

joee5
01-31-08, 09:39 PM
Some BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAD lookin cop cars.(Bad meaning GOOD of course).

Submariner409
01-31-08, 09:45 PM
Fanciful photos of fast fictitious fuzz cars are fun, but here in good ol' eastern Maryland it is not uncommon to see your friendly officer sitting on a hay bale in the back of a pickup at a highway intersection, taking pictures and talking to 2 cars waiting a mile further down the road.

MauiV
01-31-08, 10:48 PM
I have to drive into Louisville for work every day and they currently use unmarked Camaro z/28's and Dodge Chargers on the Interstates. Back in the 90s they had an unmarked Grand National for traffic patrol. I know where they sit normally but the risk is running up onto one that is lagging in the slow lane or having one pop up behind you on an on ramp.

I saw a black full size Chevy half ton with lights in the grill and back window with someone pulled over in St Louis.

Rolex
01-31-08, 10:55 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v305/rolex/Image036.jpg

BigJon
02-01-08, 12:54 AM
state police here in Michigan for the month of FEB are suppose to write 4x tickets they normally write

MauiV
02-01-08, 01:04 AM
I think I heard something about a month of checkpoints and crap here starting Feb 1st.

Rat bastards.

Vesicant
02-01-08, 02:06 AM
Here in FL the FHP has a nice bunch of Camaros as well as undercover Mercury Marauders:

http://www.sspmustang.org/images/FHP_Marauders_at_school_1.jpg

Sinister Angel
02-01-08, 08:02 AM
state police here in Michigan for the month of FEB are suppose to write 4x tickets they normally write

Michigan is turning into a hole.

gothicaleigh
02-01-08, 09:31 AM
Michigan is turning into a hole.

Michigan has been a hole for a while now. We're a cautionary tale of what happens when you let a Canadian run things. :stirpot:

Sinister Angel
02-01-08, 09:58 AM
Michigan has been a hole for a while now. We're a cautionary tale of what happens when you let a Canadian run things. :stirpot:
:word:
:lesley::brutal:

CIWS
02-01-08, 11:12 AM
Most Cop cars are speed limited to 130, some of the new chargers can see 147, but that's tops. Police departments generally don't want a bunch of really fast cars on the force because driving at those speeds for any amount of time takes more skill than the average police officer has as a driver. They end up wrecked and the officers in the hospital or dead. That does the department no good. Larger departments have access to helos to pursue speedy drivers while they stay back and communicate via radio. But every once in a while they come across a driver who's fast and skilled enough to get away from them before they can get a helo on station. A guy in a stolen C6 corvette eluded two different police departments here a while back.

Blackout
02-01-08, 12:17 PM
Most Cop cars are speed limited to 130, some of the new chargers can see 147, but that's tops. Police departments generally don't want a bunch of really fast cars on the force because driving at those speeds for any amount of time takes more skill than the average police officer has as a driver. They end up wrecked and the officers in the hospital or dead. That does the department no good. Larger departments have access to helos to pursue speedy drivers while they stay back and communicate via radio. But every once in a while they come across a driver who's fast and skilled enough to get away from them before they can get a helo on station. A guy in a stolen C6 corvette eluded two different police departments here a while back.

Police don't really have a need for fast cars anymore because they have strength in numbers. Back in the day there weren't that many police cars out on the road so there was a need for fast patrol cars. Now adays if a cop sees you go flying by they just radio ahead for another car to pick you up

Playdrv4me
02-01-08, 02:22 PM
Police don't really have a need for fast cars anymore because they have strength in numbers. Back in the day there weren't that many police cars out on the road so there was a need for fast patrol cars. Now adays if a cop sees you go flying by they just radio ahead for another car to pick you up

You can outrun the motor, but not the Motorola.

Blackout
02-01-08, 02:26 PM

And bingo was his name-o

Sinister Angel
02-01-08, 03:27 PM

True, but the Motorola can't grab you...

gothicaleigh
02-01-08, 03:31 PM
True, but the Motorola can't grab you...

...neither can the motor. :hmm:

Sinister Angel
02-01-08, 03:38 PM
...neither can the motor. :hmm:

Well, the motor hauls people who can heh

Blackout
02-01-08, 06:06 PM
Well, the motor hauls people who can heh
Well without the Motorola you wouldn't know where to haul the other cops too:p

CIWS
02-01-08, 06:19 PM
Now adays if a cop sees you go flying by they just radio ahead for another car to pick you up

Tell that to the two police departments here whose "Motorolas" failed to help them catch/trap the guy in the corvette.

Blackout
02-01-08, 06:21 PM
Tell that to the two police departments here whose "Motorolas" failed to help them catch/trap the guy in the corvette.

spike strips ftw?

CIWS
02-01-08, 06:35 PM
spike strips ftw?

Spike strips and their use require coordination via the radio. If the person in the car has escaped the pursuing police car(s) they never get used.

Playdrv4me
02-01-08, 06:42 PM

Yea, Im gonna call that the EXTREME exception. I certainly ain't gonna go tryin anything.

CIWS
02-01-08, 06:44 PM
Yea, Im gonna call that the EXTREME exception. I certainly ain't gonna go tryin anything.

Not everyone is as smart/conservative as you are.

Blackout
02-01-08, 06:44 PM
Spike strips and their use require coordination via the radio. If the person in the car has escaped the pursuing police car(s) they never get used.I wonder why/how they didn't catch him. A couple of years ago there was a Lamborghini that got busted for doing like 180+ mph around Philadelphia.

CIWS
02-01-08, 07:36 PM
I wonder why/how they didn't catch him. A couple of years ago there was a Lamborghini that got busted for doing like 180+ mph around Philadelphia.

Youtube is full of videos of drivers escaping police as well as videos of those who lose when they try.

Kev
02-02-08, 01:12 AM
Most Cop cars are speed limited to 130, some of the new chargers can see 147, but that's tops. Police departments generally don't want a bunch of really fast cars on the force because driving at those speeds for any amount of time takes more skill than the average police officer has as a driver. They end up wrecked and the officers in the hospital or dead. That does the department no good. Larger departments have access to helos to pursue speedy drivers while they stay back and communicate via radio. But every once in a while they come across a driver who's fast and skilled enough to get away from them before they can get a helo on station. A guy in a stolen C6 corvette eluded two different police departments here a while back.http://members.fortunecity.com/chpcars/chp1006z.jpg

The CHP have typically had "special" cruisers for high speed pursuit. They don't limit the speed of those cars, in fact, they enhance them. Back in 1976 when Porche introduced the Turbo Carrera and claimed it would do 160 mph a CHP officer confirmed that by overtaking one from a dead stop, clocking it at 160 and then pulling it over, true story from CHP magazine in 1976. The cruiser was a 1974 Dodge Polara with the 440 interceptor package and a few tricks from the CHP mechanics.

CIWS
02-02-08, 09:56 AM
The CHP have typically had "special" cruisers for high speed pursuit. They don't limit the speed of those cars, in fact, they enhance them. Back in 1976 when Porche introduced the Turbo Carrera and claimed it would do 160 mph a CHP officer confirmed that by overtaking one from a dead stop, clocking it at 160 and then pulling it over, true story from CHP magazine in 1976. The cruiser was a 1974 Dodge Polara with the 440 interceptor package and a few tricks from the CHP mechanics.

Looks like they don't allow hotlinking :)

Some Police departments do maintain high speed cars. But they are very limited and only driven by specific officers. As noted in my post it was referencing the standard issued cars driven by the normal force of officers. Departments like Dallas don't have them because they have two dedicated helicopters and don't have long open desert highways like California, Arizona, Nevada. However back in the mid 70s modified Police Interceptors were much more common. :D

http://www.interceptorteam.com/Kenn11.jpg

:histeric:

Kev
02-02-08, 01:06 PM
I think you'll find that high speed pursuit vehicles are more common in state and county departments, less common in city or municipal departments for the reasons you've already mentioned, wide open spaces.