: New GMC Sierra vs. F150

Florian
01-31-08, 12:39 AM
Folks,

Time to give up my 2000 Jimmy 4x4 and get into a pickup as my winter vehicle. The Jimmy was a good truck but getting long in the tooth @ 100K miles now. I need 4x4 traction in the snow and Ill use some sandbags in the back to weight it down a bit.
My question to you is this...have any of you owned either of the trucks mentioned (recent models) and what input can you give me on both. Im leaning GM as they are a big customer of mine, but I have a friend that owns a Ford dealership. Either way I get supplier pricing on Ford or Chevy as I supply to both. Im looking for fit/finish/driveability thoughts.

What say you.

F

I~LUV~Caddys8792
01-31-08, 12:46 AM
Chevrolet all the way! I've never owned either, but I've seen the Chevy's from the service department's point of view. One of the most common issues we see with those is a wind noise issue from the driver's window...we just have to reseal it and it's good. Other than that, we don't have a whole lot of issues with those, atleast not what I can remember...

Oh and FWIW, I think the Sierra is a better looking truck than the Silverado, mainly because of the way that GMC did the front end. I love that big rectangular grille.

Red_October_7000
01-31-08, 01:02 AM
Well I worked at a Ford dealership that did a huge trade in trucks and I've had extensive experience with GM trucks old and new, and I can honestly say that the GM offerings, especially in the not Top-of-the-Range models, are roundly superior trucks, especially in terms of comfort and convenience. Even the base models are very comfortable trucks, although no matter who you buy from I'd avoid the super-base stripper packages with vinyl everything unless you get a deal in which case you can do some Junkyard Upgrading. The new Fords are OK trucks but they are bad on gas (except the Diesels which are great) and the ride is rather harsh. The F150 is somewhat uncomfortable inside and rather unnatural to sit in. The F250, 350, 450, & 550 are nicer trucks. The 450 is rare and the 550 is generally only sold as a chassis cab with or without something behind it (we had two dumptrucks, one was a 550). One disadvantage is they are VERY large, and while the 250 and up devote more of this to cabin room, they are still very large. I had customers turn down trucks because they exceeded some hard-and-fast size limit of specific circumstances.

I don't know how much you are going to spend but if you are going for a special options package don't take the "Harley Davidson" special truck, having access to the options binder I know exactly what you get in that package is mostly a nameplate and an uncomfortable interior. The King Ranch is a much better truck for that sort of thing. The GMC "Orange County Choppers" truck is pretty much the same sort of shite from what I could tell.

I'd have to reccomend a GMC/Chevy over the Ford, even though I used to sell them, just because of the way they drive and ride, and the nicer interior even on the base model. Also a number of recent reviews seem to heavily favor the GM offerings over the Ford.

Playdrv4me
01-31-08, 01:49 AM
For the 2007 model year it's GM no question Florian. They are just superior, and they should be, they have 4 years on the last Ford redesign.

Jesda
01-31-08, 02:40 AM
For new trucks, there isn't really anything that stands up to what GM offers. I guess the same is true of 90s trucks too.

oshguy
01-31-08, 09:55 AM
Well, at the risk of being shot here in a GM forum, I've got to say that I've been a Ford F-150 driver for over 20 years and have had nothing but good experiences with them. Each time I bought a new one I researched Ford, Chevrolet/GMC, and Dodge, looked at them all, drove them, and each time chose Ford. My current F-150 (bought new in 2004) is the most comfortable truck I've ever driven, and positively the quietest. Now, I hasten to add that "comfortable" is a very subjective thing, and everyone has their own idea of comfortable. Handling, and especially braking, is outstanding. As for reliability, until about 8 months ago I used my trucks for my work, and racked up serious miles. My F-150s never once left me stranded anywhere, and rarely ever needed service beyond normal maintenance. My last F-150 (before the current one) made it to about 140,000 before the first major repair which was a leaking radiator that was a breeze to replace. At about 150,000 a u-joint needed replaced, and the ignition control module started acting funny and was replaced (by me for under $100). And that was it for repairs. The engine was as smooth and powerful when I traded it in as it was when I bought it. The '04 had a problem with the rear differential when new due to a bad part from a supplier. That was replaced under warranty and hasn't given me any problems since. Other than that the truck has yet to need any other repair, with only oil changes and tire rotation so far.

As for Chevy/GMC trucks, I think they are the winners hands down in looks (again a very subjective area). I haven't driven one newer than 2005, so I can't comment on comfort, handling, etc.

OK, that's my 2 cents worth. Now, for penance, I'm gonna go drive one of my Cadillacs. LOL

Playdrv4me
01-31-08, 02:37 PM
oshguy.

I think you will find us all here for the mostpart a very open minded set of individuals, no need to fear getting shot down for your preference (obviously you chose at least one Cadillac so you have good taste ;) )

However, while I do believe the Ford's to be a tad more reliable just as you mentioned, I think the new 2007 GM's outperform, outhandle and outfeature the 2004-2008 F150s by a substantial enough margin it can't be ignored. Ford is redesigning the F150 for 2009, though not from the ground up like the GMT900's, so we have yet to see how that turns out.

MauiV
01-31-08, 02:51 PM
My biggest gripe with the GMs is the interior by Rubbermade. I even hate the center dash in my V. I had an F150 Supercrew 4X4 Lariat and LOVED that truck but it just wasnt practical on a small tropical Island at $4.00 a gallon for gas.

dirt_cheap_fleetwood
01-31-08, 03:34 PM
GM. My grandfather has a 2001 chevy silverado 2500 and it is a beast. Nearly 100,000 miles of doing nothing but pulling trailers on the farm and it has yet to need any service besides the regular wear and tear (brakes, oil ect.).

oshguy
01-31-08, 04:04 PM
LOL. I was only joking about being shot. And yes, I did choose Cadillacs over the competition, as well as a couple other GM products in the past (which I prefer to pretend never happened). When I bought the '04 F-150 the choice was down to two possibilities, the other being a Silverado. The Chevy out-accelerated and out-handled the F-150 hands down. But acceleration and handling were not on my list of things that mattered. Having to sit in the truck for sometimes 5 or 6 hours at a time getting to my next job required a smooth, quiet ride, and the F-150 excelled at this. That was priority one, and priority two was reliability, as I could not afford any down time. And since reliability is hard to predict, I had to base that part of my equation on my prior experiences.

If I were to buy another new truck any time soon, the choice could be totally different as I no longer use my truck for work (in fact, I'm now retired, so the truck gets little use while the Cadillac gets much more). I like the exterior looks of the Chevys and GMC trucks better than the current F-150, though I do like the looks of the redesigned F-150. However, I prefer the look and layout of the F-150 better. (And, of course, beauty is very definitely in the eye of the beholder.)

So, good luck on the choice Florian. I'm sure whichever you choose will serve you well.

caddycruiser
01-31-08, 10:49 PM
My biggest gripe with the GMs is the interior by Rubbermade. I even hate the center dash in my V. I had an F150 Supercrew 4X4 Lariat and LOVED that truck but it just wasnt practical on a small tropical Island at $4.00 a gallon for gas.

Last gen YES...current gen, absolutely positively not, and still thought of as the best in class in terms of materials and finishing. The Ford is still a very close second and I still really like the layout of the current gen Fords, but the GM's have edged them out with the redesign mostly. Then the new Fords next year, etc., and it will continue.

Playdrv4me
02-01-08, 02:12 PM
Last gen YES...current gen, absolutely positively not, and still thought of as the best in class in terms of materials and finishing. The Ford is still a very close second and I still really like the layout of the current gen Fords, but the GM's have edged them out with the redesign mostly. Then the new Fords next year, etc., and it will continue.

Yea you took the words right out of my mouth. I was about to say the new GM's are not bad at all.

Also, everyone always hated on the GMT800 interiors but I thought it was a very purposeful and manly design to look at, as opposed to the hideous 1997-2002 F Series interiors with what I like to call the "whale" dash. A huge piece of uniterrupted wave going from driver to passenger side... hated it.

eldorado99
02-01-08, 04:04 PM
I'd wait until the half ton GMs get that new turbo diesel if I was in the market. That thing looks amazing.