: Help! 99 Catera valve cover gasket replacement

mexiricanpena
05-14-04, 01:15 PM
I recently melled a burnt oil smell coming though the air vents of my car. I had just had the oil changed at the cadillac dealer a couple weeks earlier. I called and told them maybe they forgot to screw a cap on properly, what do I know? Anyway, I took it back to get checked. They now say it needs to have the valve cover gaskets replaced at a cost of $550 (aprox). Has anyone had to have this work done before. Is this reasonable? I am afraid to take to outside mechanic. The last time I tried that option, the mechanic did not have access to computer codes necessary to reactivate the security alarm system. Should certified mechanics have access to these codes?

I would appreciate your reply(ies) as soon as possible as I must make a decision soon.

Gracias.

Catera97_Guy
05-14-04, 04:16 PM
Seems like when it comes to Catera's, everything is a pain to work on and costs a small fortune to get done! Yes that's about right for a caddy dealer, but I would take it to an outside mechanic for that job and it will be cheaper. :annoyed:

Vesicant
05-14-04, 06:54 PM
I recently melled a burnt oil smell coming though the air vents of my car. I had just had the oil changed at the cadillac dealer a couple weeks earlier. I called and told them maybe they forgot to screw a cap on properly, what do I know? Anyway, I took it back to get checked. They now say it needs to have the valve cover gaskets replaced at a cost of $550 (aprox). Has anyone had to have this work done before. Is this reasonable? I am afraid to take to outside mechanic. The last time I tried that option, the mechanic did not have access to computer codes necessary to reactivate the security alarm system. Should certified mechanics have access to these codes?

I would appreciate your reply(ies) as soon as possible as I must make a decision soon.

Gracias.

Thats a better price than what you'd pay for say for a gasket job on the N*. The only hardpart I can see about getting the covers off, is that they have covers covering them (lol) that use a special hex bolt. Then , to get to the valve covers.. the engine is set back pretty far so it may require lifting it out for clearance needed to drag those suckers out of there.

As to the security codes, non-Cadillac mechanics wouldnt have this... its a security risk. They wouldnt want mechanics running around with codes to every car...

pepelepuu
05-19-04, 07:51 PM
Yo. My Cat has the same issue (one of many). The reason for the high cost is the fact that the intake chamber and the induction tubes have to be pulled in order to pull the valve covers. I am waiting til I can get mine running before I even mess with it. I had to take off the intake chamber when I replaced the heater coolant valve. That wasn't too bad.

mexiricanpena
06-29-04, 09:16 PM

Gracias.
Thanks to all who replied to my plea for help. The local caddy dealer service person told me that the oil cover gasket replacement job was a standard mechanic job and that I could shop around for a better price and I did. Unfortunately, after the mechanic (20 years experience) completed the job, he informed me that he would have to charge me an additional $60 to clean the oil pan to ensure that there weren't additional leaks!! His next recommendation was an additional aprox. $1,500 to fix other leaks!!! I called the caddy dealer service person who told me to come in and he would give me a bottle of oil dye to determine what exactly was leaking and that they would check it out when my car was due for an oil change. I haven't been driving the car much lately but have noticed that the car is leaving oil stains (aprox. 6" diameter) on the driveway and it smells like burnt oil when I'm driving. The oil pressure drops when the car heats up. In Miami, that takes about 15 minutes! Has anyone else experienced this kind of problem??

I didn't tell you about some of the other problems I have had, i.e. a/c fluid leaking, battery replacement after 2 years, car running hot causing temp gauge to move very close to red zone, motor surges in stop/go traffic once the car heats up, crank sensor, tail light replacement, motor runs rough, etc. Motor surges and heating issues have not been resolved to date.

I wish I could buy another vehicle (CTS) but the car is paid off and I can't afford a new one!

Your replies would be most appreciated.

Sincerely,

Hot Catera in Miami

:rant2: :disappoin :disappoin

Vesicant
06-29-04, 09:22 PM
I live in Jacksonville, and yes it gets just as hot as the rest of Florida.

Oil pressure dropping when its hot is normal, as long as its in the white zone and does rise when you accel. then your fine. Your loosing oil so make sure its at a constant amount by adding oil occasionally until this problem is fixed.

The oil leakage: The mechanic may not have replaced the gasket when he took the pan off, or he didnt tighen it correctly. The exhaust runs right near this area and it could be heating up/leaking onto the exhaust. If its just the oil pan that is...

Check the valve covers again.