: Rick will be heart-broken...

Playdrv4me
01-30-08, 04:17 PM
It's the end of Isuzu as we know it:
http://www.autoblog.com/2008/01/30/confirmed-isuzu-abandoning-u-s-market/

Long overdue ever since they started their rebadge plan. The one positive the Isuzu's had was a lower pricepoint and a better warranty.

JTraik
01-30-08, 04:21 PM
Buy All American folks... not foreign based American. Cya later Isuzu!

Benzilla
01-30-08, 04:25 PM
Damn. As far as imports go, I liked Isuzu.

Well Rick, now yours is a classic! haha.

HITMONEY
01-30-08, 04:38 PM
I always wanted one of those VehiCross things.

dkozloski
01-30-08, 05:01 PM
What the hell is Joe going to do now?

caddycruiser
01-30-08, 05:16 PM
I always wanted one of those VehiCross things.

Myself too, and I hope to still get one day...I appreciate vehicles for more than looks, but there's something just too cool about the Vehicross.

That said...Isuzu was ONLY selling Chevy/GMC products with literally (really...) just different stickers and grilles, so this was no shock.

Makes you wonder back to days when they had things like the Trooper, etc...what happened.

joee5
01-30-08, 05:35 PM
Another one bites the dust. Cya.

Night Wolf
01-30-08, 08:15 PM
Personally, as far as I'm concerned, Isuzu hasn't sold a passenger vehicle in the US since 2003, when the REAL Isuzu's stopped production.

Thanks GM for that.

Though they make it seem as if Isuzu is going to pull out of the US completely, they have the medium-duty truck market pretty much monopolized, not to mention all the Chevy/GM rebadged versions. You know, all the cab-over flat beds, box trucks, refers etc?

It's a shame tho, because the Isuzu D-Max, the light duty pickup sold overseas with a turbo diesel is one really nice little truck.... but I guess the American market dosn't support it.

But, yeah, the I-series is an Isuzu chassis with Chevy drivetrain, same goes for the Hummer H3, thats an Isuzu chassis, and the Duramax was a joint venture between GM and Isuzu, GM made the block, Isuzu made the heads. GM sold their controlling intrest in Isuzu last year, then some other company bought it up.

It is Japans oldest truck maker too.

Isuzu stood for what made a truck, a truck. Every (real) Isuzu truck had a fully boxed ladder frame, an engine designed for truck use, suspension made for trucks etc... they were built for off-road with high ground clearance, lots of skid plates from the factory and geared really well.

Even the Axiom, the "crossover" that Isuzu sold was their most car-like vehicle, still had a body on frame design, and was wither RWD or 4WD, with a real transfer case etc...

The Isuzu 3.5L DOHC V6 was the first direct-injection gasoline enigne to be avalible in US passenger cars too. Isuzu also pretty much pioneered the use of IFS in a 4wd truck and for the most part it's been very successful to merge the line between smooth highway comfort and off-road usefulness. Isuzu started that long ago too.

IMO the last gen Trooper looks just as impressive as a simialr year Range Rover, it really looks like an upscale SUV, yet underneath its a very rough and tough truck.

People mention the Vehi-CROSS, that is a quite rare truck, they were all made in Japan and shipped here, only thing I don't like is that ALL of them are automatics. They were basically a shortened Trooper, with a Trooper dash, and the special door panels and Recaro seats etc...

I really like my 1st gen Amigo, despite only being 2wd, its a very versitale truck, it really bugs me that I am not able to drive it right now too.

When you compare the resale value of Isuzu vs Jeep or Toyota, you just get so much more truck for your money. My next Isuzu will be a 2000 Amigo/2001-2003 rodeo Sport, V6, 5spd, 4x4, preferably with the hardtop (which all came with dual sun roofs) Weather it is my next vehicle or not, I dunno, but they are just so usefull, it would be a daily driver, what I tow my utility trailer with, a work truck and also something to hit the trails with.

Isuzu still lives on, and there are plenty here now so that in a few years I'll be able to find one in really nice shape just like I want for cheap :)

Destroyer
01-30-08, 08:57 PM
I agree with Rick. The REAL Isuzu's have been gone for some time now. I bought a new Trooper back in '01 and loved it. Great truck, had all the luxury appointments and a huge power sunroof. I'll try to dig a pic of it up. Sold it only cause I wanted something bigger and bought a GMC high top conversion van.

Sandy
01-31-08, 02:54 PM
I loved the look of the Axiom. THE best looking mid-sized SUV out there, Also loved the funkyness of the Vehicross. Those were the two best Isuzus out there.
There are some of us, you see, that like to drive off beat cars! Stuff like Avanti, Isuzu, Imperial, Excalibur, and others that I can't recall. Sadly, they all die off. I also pine for American Motors ! We all don't covet Honda, Toyota, Nissan, BMW, Mercedes, and the like. Sometimes it's fun driving a unique car. Trust me.
I bought brand new 4 Imperials (1968, 1972, 1976 & 1982). Everyone (even strangers) constantly compliment them, and all asked what they were ! Then, many would say, "OH, a Chrysler" to which i'd correct them and say, no, it's an Imperial. Not unlike a General Motors Cadillac, nor a Ford Lincoln.
Sad to see them go, they were a good partner with GM. They only wanted a piece of the pie, unlike honda, toyopet & nissan who want to own the entire bakery, the building, the land and the company that made the flour!

Destroyer
01-31-08, 04:01 PM
There are some of us, you see, that like to drive off beat cars! ...........like pink Mark VII Lincolns for instance?:thehand::canttalk:

Sandy
01-31-08, 04:24 PM
...........like pink Mark VII Lincolns for instance?:thehand::canttalk:

ABSOLUTELY

I~LUV~Caddys8792
01-31-08, 04:32 PM
There are some of us, you see, that like to drive beat off cars!

Dude, that's just gross. :lildevil:

Sandy
01-31-08, 05:47 PM
Took best of class at Fords @ Carlisle, this year :)
Was sold by owner after me for 2 X what same model / same year were bringing...
Was a feature car in a Lincoln Publication.
Was factory painted, no repaint. Full Documentation from FoMoCo.
I had a Lilac Coupe DeVille beore that.
Now, a Dark Amethyst Plum 93 Sixty Special and a Silver-Green Town Car.
Like JEEP says.... "Have Fun Out There"
When ya got a son and a wife and are married for 24 years
you can do this stuff, and take life with a grain of salt and have fun
and laugh at people , who laugh at you. We're only here for a short
time, ya know. We don't pass by again. Do what ya like. Don't worry
'bout what others think. Just please the guy in the mirror.

Sandy
01-31-08, 06:14 PM
Here's a picture of " Pinkin " ~ No pics of the Lilac Coupe deVille, had no computer back then. You've all seen my Dark Amethyst Plum Sixty Special...

http://thelincolnmarkviiclub.org/Gallery/albums/pinkin/Dscf1162.sized.jpg

Destroyer
01-31-08, 08:52 PM
Took best of class at Fords @ Carlisle, this year :)
Was sold by owner after me for 2 X what same model / same year were bringing...
Was a feature car in a Lincoln Publication.
Was factory painted, no repaint. Full Documentation from FoMoCo.
I had a Lilac Coupe DeVille beore that.
Now, a Dark Amethyst Plum 93 Sixty Special and a Silver-Green Town Car.
Like JEEP says.... "Have Fun Out There"
When ya got a son and a wife and are married for 24 years
you can do this stuff, and take life with a grain of salt and have fun
and laugh at people , who laugh at you. We're only here for a short
time, ya know. We don't pass by again. Do what ya like. Don't worry
'bout what others think. Just please the guy in the mirror.
I'm fully aware of the rarity and all that plus I aplaud you for driving what YOU like but I dont like pink cars. I wont like them after 24 years of marriage or when both my kids are fully grown. I take that back, I did see a pink Hemi Cuda that I thought was nice............but it had a Hemi to make up for the fact it was pink and it was more of a hot pink than the light shade on Pinkin.

That said, I like offbeat cars myself. Weird stuff like old TVR's, Lotus's, Jensen's, Avanti's, some kit cars, etc. So I know where you are coming from. I just dont think an average car in an unaverage color qualifies as "offbeat".

Sandy
02-01-08, 12:02 AM
True, it's not offbeat, it's unique.
I like all of the car you mention, above, Avanti(s) #1. I like TVRs also and the little known Tasmin 280 Roadster. Don't know it? Google.

The interior of Pinkin is dark burgundy, as are the pin stripe & side moulding. I sold her at 5,700 miles. She has had 5 owners since me. All of them straight men & married. Still has under 30,000 on her after 22 years and still looks brand new in every regard.

See, you were probably not around in the late 1950s (1957 to 1962) Pink (Okay light pink in various shades) was very popular. Every brand car offered some shade of pink and it was no big deal....nobody even looked. Then as fast as it came in >>it went out, and NEVER came back. So, due to its non existence for some 45+ years, now, if you have a car painted pink, it's a freak and nobody likes it, (well except for married men in their 50s & 60s who recall the past.)

MauiV
02-01-08, 12:23 AM
:vomit:

You sell Mary Kay out of that thing?

I didnt know "Pepto" was an available color from Lincoln.

MauiV
02-01-08, 12:26 AM
I just dont think an average car in an unaverage color qualifies as "offbeat".

I think it would look MUCH better with all of the plastic moldings and such redone in REAL chrome like an old Cadi, and not stick on plastic chrome. The tires and wheels arent helping things either.

Maybe lowered, the gap from the tires to the fender is HUGE.

Sandy
02-01-08, 09:04 AM
That's all factory, except the rims. Remember, it was factory made. Wheels excluded it's bone stock.
The color is 1959 Lincoln "Flamingo" In 1959, Lincoln had 2 Pinks, Cadillac had 1 Pink and Imperial had 2 pinks. All GM cars CBOP )Chev, Buick, Olds & Buick) each offered 2 pinks and Fords had 1 and 2 on Thunderbirds. Chrysler had 1 likewise Dodge with 1 & Plymouth with 2. Rambler had 1 too. This lasted into 1961, after beginning in 1955. By 1961 there were as many pink cars on the road as there were blue ones. For 1962 they came out with rose, which was a much more softened & metallic sorta kinda pink. That lasted for a year or two and that was pretty much the end of pinks. Cadillac brought it back in the 1980s calling it Wisteria, and Heather but they were poor sellers, takingaround 2 to 4 % production each year.
I had a light lilac Coupe deVille called Amethyst after "Pinkin", but it was a crappy car, squeeks, creaks, rattles, poor fitting seams. Then the current Dark Amethyst Plum Sixty Special.

http://www.smatarese.com/forum/sandy/

caddycruiser
02-01-08, 09:22 AM
The Isuzu 3.5L DOHC V6 was the first direct-injection gasoline enigne to be avalible in US passenger cars too.

YES! I had forgotten about that, and remember specifically reading about it as the "first" back in the magazines when it was introduced. To think, it was Isuzu who used it first in a US vehicle, but never really was known for that, and now it's becoming all the rage with other manufacturer's.

I pop in on the Vehicross owner's board from time to time and there's apparently some engine issues in general with the 3.5L with some mileage, but I can't remember what specifically.

Same goes for the Colorado/Canyon which many people forget is essentially an Isuzu design, then made into a Chevy/GMC, etc.

Night Wolf
02-01-08, 06:59 PM
YES! I had forgotten about that, and remember specifically reading about it as the "first" back in the magazines when it was introduced. To think, it was Isuzu who used it first in a US vehicle, but never really was known for that, and now it's becoming all the rage with other manufacturer's.

I pop in on the Vehicross owner's board from time to time and there's apparently some engine issues in general with the 3.5L with some mileage, but I can't remember what specifically.

Same goes for the Colorado/Canyon which many people forget is essentially an Isuzu design, then made into a Chevy/GMC, etc.

The early 3.5's have oil comsumption issues... which really shoduln't be an "issue" it can be around 1 qt/1,000 miles, which is actually considered "normal" for modern engines... yet with the way people simply do not maintain their cars, they go to jiffy lube for an oil change and never check the oil level in between, so they run them out of oil.

Considering that the Isuzu 3.5L was producing over 1HP/cubic inch in 1999, ran on 87 octane pump gas, produced alot of useable power, yet still passed all the Gov't EPA and emmissions testing is something that isn't easily done for a car from the factory, atleast not as eas 10yrs ago... and that engine was made for truck application. It produced 230hp @ 5,400RPM and 230ft-lbs torque @ 3,000RPM.

Sandy
02-01-08, 07:17 PM
I really loved the look of the Axiom of 2003-1007. Just a neat looking small SUV of sorts

http://static.howstuffworks.com/gif/autoreview/400x266/2002-04-Isuzu-Axiom-02805111990001.jpg

and then....

http://static.howstuffworks.com/gif/autoreview/400x266/2002-04-Isuzu-Axiom-02805111990004.jpg

AND, OF COURSE, THE VehiCross !! !! !!

http://images.paultan.org/images/vehicross.jpg

Destroyer
02-01-08, 07:24 PM
The early 3.5's have oil comsumption issues... which really shoduln't be an "issue" it can be around 1 qt/1,000 miles, which is actually considered "normal" for modern engines... yet with the way people simply do not maintain their cars, they go to jiffy lube for an oil change and never check the oil level in between, so they run them out of oil.

Considering that the Isuzu 3.5L was producing over 1HP/cubic inch in 1999, ran on 87 octane pump gas, produced alot of useable power, yet still passed all the Gov't EPA and emmissions testing is something that isn't easily done for a car from the factory, atleast not as eas 10yrs ago... and that engine was made for truck application. It produced 230hp @ 5,400RPM and 230ft-lbs torque @ 3,000RPM.Off the line my Trooper with the 3.5 wasn't exactly a drag car but the midranger power was impressive for such a large vehicle. I truly liked that truck.

Playdrv4me
02-01-08, 09:29 PM
I thought the Axiom looked different and neat outside, but inside it was quite boring. I actually was REALLY fond of the Rodeo and the Honda Passport (which the Axiom is based on) back in the 90s, but they let both of them wither on the vine and the interiors were the worst reflection of this.

Same thing with ALL the Mitsubishis before someone there FINALLY turned things around in 2007. Interiors were HORRID. Single DIN cheap corporate radios, flimsy plastic, etc etc.

Sandy
02-01-08, 10:21 PM
BORING ??

http://static.howstuffworks.com/gif/autoreview/400x266/2002-04-Isuzu-Axiom-02805111990004.jpg

I~LUV~Caddys8792
02-02-08, 12:43 AM
That Vehicross is just plain nasty. Sorry guys. :(

Night Wolf
02-02-08, 07:47 AM
Herein sorta lies the problem... people wanted a premium luxury car interior in a vehicle that was built from the ground up to be a truck.

Yeah the interior wasn't anything special, though it was very practical and functional.... but that wasn't the point of these vehicles. In a world of every other SUV getting softer and turning more into a car then a truck, Isuzu kept then strongly based off a truck. So when you compared the Axiom to a "crossover" as they were just coming out at the time, the Axiom fell short as it lacked the car-like ride and all the extra creature comforts (it could be had with nav tho) But that "crossover" was a full frame, RWD/4WD vehicle with a longitudinal mounted engine and if 4wd, had a real transfer case. Personally I think the Axiom came out 2-3 yrs too soon, becuase now those things are all the rage.

The VX wasn't made to be liked by everyone, it was a VERY limited production vehicle. Less then 5,000 made it over to the US from Japan. It's quirky styling is a love or hate thing. Personally I'd drive one just because I can.

The Honda Passport was nothing more then a rebadged Rodeo, same for the Acura SLX (?) was a Trooper. In return, Isuzu got a crappy version of the origanal Honda Oddessy (the one that was sort of a wagon) that was called the Oasis. Funny to mention, that the only *real* truck Honda ever sold wasn't even their own.

Personally I think 2nd gen Rodeo/Amigo (1998-2003, with a facelift in 2000) had a really nice interior for a trucky SUV. If you compared it to a Toyota 4Runner/Tacoma or a Jeep Cherokee/Wrangler, it was better IMO.

I mention *real truck* and that always seems to twist a few arms especially when I am talking about the Amigo... for some reason people think that in order for something to be a "truck" it MUST be a pickup first of all, but then must be large, and preferably a dually and a diesel. To me a proper light-duty truck is still a truck, in the same reguard as a semi-truck is a truck... a different vehicle for a different application.

and to me, Isuzu, even something like my Amigo is a real truck. When it came standard with a fully boxed ladder frame (something the new Tundra can't even claim), high ground clearance and large tires, gears that were very truck friendly (4.56 in my case) an engine, either 4cyl or 6cyl that was made for off-road and towing applications. The Isuzu corporate 12-bolt axle (rear end in my Amigo) falls in between a Dana44 and a Ford 9" in terms of durability/strength, that is saying alot. They came with rear disc brakes and ABS too. It is one of those little known gems, but as I watch the Jeep sites, more and more guys are snagging them and putting them in their monster V8 Jeep becuase they are nearly as strong as a 9", already comes with the gears they want (4.56) and has rear disc brakes. Plus ARB makes an airlocker for it and there is an auto locker out for them now. But the list goes on, nothing about these SUV's was made to be like a car, I consider them a truck just as I would consider and full size Blazer or Bronco a truck even though it is an SUV. A Honda CR-V, or Ridgeline is NOT a truck, an Isuzu Rodeo is. Atleast thats how I feel.

For the 2nd gen Rodeo, they did *slightly* soften them, because people wanted more and more carlike features. Some people say the front axles are not as durable because they use C-clips. This was also when they switched from the Isuzu 12-bolt rear to the Dana44.

The Trooper's 70/30 barn doors are really neat, and to me, they look like a very high end vehicle. The Trooper and Rodeo despite being similar really do play different roles.

If luxury was what you wanted though, there was an LSE edition Rodeo, all leather interior, selectable suspension from comfort to sport etc... pretty much any creature comfort you could have wanted in a 90's SUV including plastic wood grain trim. IIRC there was also a similar version of the Trooper, so a "luxury" version was avalible.

I like my '94 Amigo..... but some day in the future when I want a newer truck with the V6 and 4wd I'd like to get a 2nd gen.... good deals can be found. Despite the fact that I really want a Jeep TJ or '01-'04 Tacoma, they are both holding their resale value like crazy, I can get a similar Isuzu for 1/3 the price and have a very similar truck, if not better suited for my needs.

Sandy
02-02-08, 02:33 PM
I was wild, crazy, nuts to order a VehiCross. I was one of the people who went APE over them. I could not get enough of their styling (or lack thereof, for those who hate them.....). and I placed an order for a Medium-Dark Green Metallic one. Well, my wife hated the Vehicross, with a passion. Just complained bitterly. Finally I went to the dealer and asked if I could have my deposit back. No problem, we can sell it many times over and for more $$ now that's Isuzu is killing it off. When I heard THAT, I wanted it even more, but it was not to be. Now I see how rare that color is/was, and I still get a sick feeling. Too bad Isuzu would not accept special order requests! Can you see a pink one??:thumbsup::):bouncy:

Exterior Interior 1999 2000 2001 Total
Astral Silver Metallic Black/Red 1021 n/a n/a 1021
Kaiser Silver Metallic Black/Red n/a 57 101 158
Kaiser Silver Metallic Black/Gray n/a 135 251 386
Victory White or Ironman Black/Red 420 96 86 602
Ebony Black Black/Red 564 51 87 702
Ebony Black Black/Gray n/a 138 226 364
Proton Yellow Black/Gray n/a 111 368 479
Dragon Green Mica Black/Gray n/a 125 105 230
Foxfire Red Mica Black/Gray n/a 90 120 210
Pearl White Metallic Black/Red n/a n/a 1 1
Totals 2005 803 1345 4153

AMGoff
02-02-08, 04:43 PM
It all makes sense.... Isuzu's US market presence relied heavily on GM. Since the General sold off the last of its stake in the company in mid-'06, it was really only a matter of time.

I'm also a bit curious how much Isuzu's new relationship with Toyota has to do with market withdrawal....

LS1Mike
02-02-08, 10:33 PM
That Vehicross is just plain nasty. Sorry guys. :(

I tend to agree Chad.

On a side note, and I didn't read every post, but isn't the NPR the best selling truck of that size in the world.
You can put anything on them. I have seen ones with small cement mixer, they are a neat and reliable little truck.

Destroyer
02-02-08, 10:49 PM
I was wild, crazy, nuts to order a VehiCross. I was one of the people who went APE over them. I could not get enough of their styling (or lack thereof, for those who hate them.....). and I placed an order for a Medium-Dark Green Metallic one. Well, my wife hated the Vehicross, with a passion. Just complained bitterly. Finally I went to the dealer and asked if I could have my deposit back. No problem, we can sell it many times over and for more $$ now that's Isuzu is killing it off. When I heard THAT, I wanted it even more, but it was not to be. Now I see how rare that color is/was, and I still get a sick feeling. Too bad Isuzu would not accept special order requests! Can you see a pink one??:thumbsup::):bouncy:

Exterior Interior 1999 2000 2001 Total
Astral Silver Metallic Black/Red 1021 n/a n/a 1021
Kaiser Silver Metallic Black/Red n/a 57 101 158
Kaiser Silver Metallic Black/Gray n/a 135 251 386
Victory White or Ironman Black/Red 420 96 86 602
Ebony Black Black/Red 564 51 87 702
Ebony Black Black/Gray n/a 138 226 364
Proton Yellow Black/Gray n/a 111 368 479
Dragon Green Mica Black/Gray n/a 125 105 230
Foxfire Red Mica Black/Gray n/a 90 120 210
Pearl White Metallic Black/Red n/a n/a 1 1
Totals 2005 803 1345 4153

Wow, cant say I've ever seen a green one, that would have been unique and it would have had your name all over it. A dark army kinda green would have looked killer on the Vechicross. Obviously I'm one of the ones that thought the styling was very cool. Saw one yesterday, an Ironman edition and I still think they look cool. :thumbsup:

I~LUV~Caddys8792
02-02-08, 11:04 PM
On a side note, and I didn't read every post, but isn't the NPR the best selling truck of that size in the world.

I'd believe so. I see those damn things everywhere.

http://www.used-trucks-central.org/image.php?Id=300

Sandy
02-02-08, 11:08 PM
It was an Army Green, but it had a high metallic content, so it was more shiney.