: msd coil?

2000snowflakedeville
01-30-08, 01:19 PM
does msd or accel make coils for 4.6 northstar?

Submariner409
01-30-08, 01:45 PM
No, and you don't need any more in the spark department, either. Either the earlier waste spark or later cassette/COP system supplies more than enough voltage for the engine. No aftermarket boots, wires, oddball plugs, either. Stick with the OEM ACDelco equipment. There are many threads over the past 3 years on this subject.

If you don't have 4 coils in a pack on top of the rear cam cover then you have the later system with 8 coils in 2 electronic cassettes, 1 on top of each cam cover. No wires there - connector boots. 100,000 mile plug change. Don't get creative.

2000snowflakedeville
01-30-08, 02:51 PM
right on. its not that i think it would give it more power i just want to dress up the engine bay without painting sh!t. i plan on taking the car to shows and sound comps. the name msd speaks for itself though.

CadillacSTS42005
01-30-08, 03:09 PM
acutally they do make a system which was used on a N*
ShadownLvr400 had one on his RIP 97 ESC
and you bought the WRONG car to start engine mods like that
trade in and buy a Honda..
you want hp do a search youll see your gonna be spending alot more than 500 bucks for simple coils...

Submariner409
01-30-08, 04:03 PM
About the only dressup you can do to a STS engine room is to paint parts which just plain need it, and put the car out of commission for a week and a half in order to send out various parts and bits and pieces for a good chrome job. Done conservatively and well a Seville engine room can look flat awesome. Every now and then you'll see a thread in here about appearance, and there have been a couple over the past years...go back in the appearance forum in the tech forums section.

Yes, MSD and ACCEL, as well as many others in the aftermarket performance business, speak for themselves. I use all of them in marine engine work. But there aren't any worthwhile name mods for our Northstars.

CadillacSTS42005
01-30-08, 04:13 PM
wanna dress the car up
Corsa
that simple....

still trying to find a kit for under 1k...

2000snowflakedeville
01-30-08, 04:35 PM
i dont know much about the computers themselves in northstars but im sure of few of my buddies from my automotive college have some software to incorporate a stand alone system for fuel and spark. i know a guy who works for jasper engines and he programs computers for the LS1 guys in town.

2000snowflakedeville
01-30-08, 04:36 PM
go to youtube and search for turbo cadillac. thats when id need advanced fuel and spark.

CadillacSTS42005
01-30-08, 04:41 PM
dude
you have no idea what your dealing with
this is a Northstar
Jet couldnt hack it
Hypertech couldnt hack it
HP Tuners couldnt hack it
Westers is WORKING on a hack with the ONLY person to semi modify the programming aka AJ

you really need to think and get your facts straight before you come off like we (especially sub and i) have no idea what where talking about...

CadillacSTS42005
01-30-08, 04:42 PM
go to youtube and search for turbo cadillac. thats when id need advanced fuel and spark.

HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAAH
hes a member here
his name is mark99sts
HE SPEND 12 GRAND ON THAT CUSTOM SET UP
its a piggy back system not a hacked stock computer

2000snowflakedeville
01-30-08, 04:52 PM
you think everything is impossible. jet sucks hypertech sucks. who said hack into anything. techs dealerships do it all the time. you think the cadillac computer is so advanced. i can get software from mopar and completely reprogram ANY crystler computer. cars were made for technicians not average joes.....thats why we get paid ungodly amouts to do alignments with.......what......what......COMPUTERS. almost every tool i use is electronic. performance chips are bullsh!t.

CadillacSTS42005
01-30-08, 05:02 PM
i know nothing
ahahahhaha
you picked the WRONG person to assume that little bit about

your completely ignorant of anything about the Northstar
next you be telling us how you removed the maf screen and put a cone filter on and gained 10 hp

go buy a VTECH, im done arguing with you

Submariner409
01-30-08, 05:05 PM
2000snowflake, post 11, True enough, but there aren't any chips, tuners, or aftermarket computers for our series of car. The PCM is the whole enchilada and so far only one person is doing R&D on reprogramming them in his spare time. The main bugaboo is that the N* management system is so extensive that the entire PCM undergoes a reprogram, not just timing and fuel rates, which are already maxed out for the particular engine/trans/vehicle setup. It's a very touchy tightrope to extract barely a few HP from this particular engine/transmission combination.

All of us would jump at the chance to do a drop-in scream job on a Seville, but from '00 on, it just ain't there. Someday, maybe. Not now. As is, the late sidewinder Northstar VIN 9 is as good as it gets.