: very hard start in the cold on N*

antdeville79
01-29-08, 09:11 PM
ok, i didnt have a problem till the other day when it was about 10 degrees out and i went to start my car and it would crank but it seemed like the motor didnt even start gettin gas until i held the key for about ten seconds...then i got a couple of sputters then finally it started..after its runnin and warm there aint no problems...i had a problem in the past with hard starts when warm, but a FPR fixed that problem...i had a starter put in about three months ago....i have a yellow top optima battery thats three months old..that i bought when i thought my slow start was the battery...i get no codes no check engine light....and like i said once its runnin, for that whole day, its fine..the next cold day same thing...some 1 please help cause this sucks....

Ranger
01-29-08, 10:05 PM
Have someone turn the key on (no crank) while you put your ear to the open fuel filler pipe. You should hear the fuel pump run for 2-3 seconds. If not, check the fuel pump relay.

BTW, PLEASE add your year and model so we know what engine we are talking about without having to ask.

antdeville79
01-30-08, 01:01 AM
1996 cadillac deville....vin y...but ill try that tommorow....but the car would still run even if the relays no good??? where is the relay? is it in the trunk or under the hood....

Ranger
01-30-08, 05:35 PM
The relay provides power till oil pressure is built up. After the oil pressure builds, fuel pump power is supplied through the oil pressure switch, so if the relay is bad, you have to crank long enough to build oil pressure. I think the fuse/relay center in under the hood on the left wheel house.

antdeville79
01-31-08, 04:53 PM
i tried the relay and it didnt work..it still has a hard time starting..i have no idea what it could be..and all mechanics that i talk to doesnt have a clue what it could be..i even changed the fuel filter..when i turn the key,i can hear the fuel pump kick on..if u have any other ideas let me know

Ranger
01-31-08, 06:30 PM
Check the fuel pressure.

zonie77
01-31-08, 07:54 PM
Ranger is right. Even though it turns on you might not have high enough pressure. Harbor Freight usually has the gauge at a reasonable price.

antdeville79
01-31-08, 10:22 PM
ill have my mechanic test it but why would pressure only be an issue on the first start of the day and not when i give it gas while drivin or any other time after that first inital start...i dont mean to ask alotta ques. but i like to learn

Ranger
01-31-08, 11:03 PM
I am not sure. I can tell you that when the fuel pump went on my '92, it ran and started fine. If I went WOT, it just fell flat on its face (only when warm). If I did it right after start up, it would run WOT just fine. Never could explain that either.

BlackCaddy87
02-04-08, 10:58 AM
Have you had problems with your fuel rail? Mine had a crack and would lose pressure...It would take a few seconds to start after sitting for awhile.