: Biodiesel...

JTraik
01-29-08, 08:41 PM
I have been obsessed with learning about this lately. I have always know about it just never really got much past that. I have already begun collecting parts for my little refinery that should be able to do 55 gallon batches at a time. Once the system is in place and processing begins, it should only cost slightly over $1.00 a gallon to produce. Biodiesel yield from waste oil is almost 100% if done correctly. It is actually really easy to do... check out www.biodieselcommunity.org

My next move is to sell my Caprice and buy a 12-Valve Cummins powered Ram 2500!!! They get 20+ MPG as it is... with biodiesel it will be a little less maybe around 16-17 at worst but at $1.00 a gallon does 10MPG really matter?! My Caddies will never leave me... but now I will have lots more cash to put in their tanks :D.

My_favorite_Brougham
01-29-08, 09:01 PM
Where do you get your waste oil/greese?

Playdrv4me
01-29-08, 09:54 PM
On Trucks last week they showed a system that isnt so complicated to run as BioDiesel. It uses vegetable oil but you don't have to go through the whole conversion process. It converts the motor to start out running on gas so that it primes the system and gets everything warmed up, then automatically or manually switches over to straight cooking oil.

It also employs a safeguard which keeps the oil from gelling in the system after you cut the motor.

dkozloski
01-29-08, 10:32 PM
Where do you get your waste oil/greese?
McDonald's, KFC, Long John Silver, Sonic, A&W, and all the other gut bomb palaces.

My_favorite_Brougham
01-30-08, 03:47 AM
They just give it to you?

JTraik
01-30-08, 09:19 AM
They just give it to you?

Thats the beauty of it! Restaurants PAY to have a disposal/rendering company come and get it. Its like emptying someones garbage dumpster for free. On the west coast it is getting a little competitive between rendering companies and these veggie vigilantes. However you are guaranteed to find restaurants in your town that would be very happy to have you take away their oil. Just bring a truck with some drums or a bunch of small containers, a hand pump and go to town! Some restaurants may even provide it already in containers.

Also the biodiesel improves longevity of the engine since it is a much better lubricant that dino-diesel is. I can't wait to get my big diesel truck and start doing this!!! Did I mention that no modification to the engine needs to be done to run BD? The only thing that may have to be done is with the older vehicles the rubber fuel lines will have to be replaced. BD is a much better solvent than reg. diesel so it will eat away at rubber. However this means that your engine will be much much more cleaner because of this property.

On Trucks last week they showed a system that isnt so complicated to run as BioDiesel. It uses vegetable oil but you don't have to go through the whole conversion process. It converts the motor to start out running on gas so that it primes the system and gets everything warmed up, then automatically or manually switches over to straight cooking oil.

It also employs a safeguard which keeps the oil from gelling in the system after you cut the motor.

Yep, straight veggie oil (SVO) only needs to be warmed up enough so that it is thin enough to be run through the fuel delivery system. However SVO is a little more expensive than waste veggie oil (WVO) for BD production, to obtain. I think this switching system that you talked about would be good for BD as well. Especially if you are in a cold climate... simply have a tank of reg. diesel to get the truck started and the SVO/BD warmed up and then switch over to the other tank. However in normal climate BD does not require preheating before going into the fuel system, it can be treated as reg. diesel in that respect.

My_favorite_Brougham
01-30-08, 10:56 AM
So when you process the WVO, that makes it so it doesn't have to be heated? Or do you have to have a fuel line heater?

c5 rv
01-30-08, 12:27 PM
If you want to have a biodiesel car, the 1980-1985 Mercedes 300D, 240D, 300SD, etc. are good choices.

My_favorite_Brougham
01-30-08, 02:17 PM
I'm thoroughly interested, but how much does it cost to build one of those machines? And since I'm only GM, I'd have to stick with something like an old d-body diesel (Olds 98, Fleetwood, etc.) Or an Eldo, the only FWD diesel I know of. Or maybe drop a chevy truck engine in a Cad. Were there ever any Electra Park Avenues w/ diesel I wonder?

JTraik
01-30-08, 02:58 PM
I'm thoroughly interested, but how much does it cost to build one of those machines? And since I'm only GM, I'd have to stick with something like an old d-body diesel (Olds 98, Fleetwood, etc.) Or an Eldo, the only FWD diesel I know of. Or maybe drop a chevy truck engine in a Cad. Were there ever any Electra Park Avenues w/ diesel I wonder?

When you process the WVO (you can also process SVO if you want) you get biodiesel which does NOT require a fuel line heater. You treat it as normal diesel, goes right into the tank. I think in EXTREME cold biodiesel may require more anti-gel treatment than regular diesel, I am still not certain about this.

I am a GM guy too... but a Cummins diesel is the best option for me since I can't afford a duramax powered truck, I may even go with an old ford 7.3L truck. The old chevy/gmc diesels are pretty reliable (6.2 and 6.5) but are very weak compared to the Cummins 12 Valve. I only refer to the 12 Valve because thats whats in the old-school Rams... I absolutely love those trucks... with a freakin 5 speed, hell yeah!

As far as the mini-refinery that has to be made... Well I just found 5, 55 gallon drums locally for 20$ Couple of 30$ harbor-freight pumps, a hot water heater or heating element in one of the drums. A bunch of plumbing and valves, and a few other odds and ends... www.biodieselcommunity.org.

I think in the end it should only be a few hundred bucks to build. Then you need materials which are also listed on that site... the most costly material is the methanol which goes for a little over $2.00 a gallon probably more... you use around a 1:5 ratio of this to your WVO I think.

Go check out that site... it has everything you need to know, even how much time is invested into processing the WVO if you want to factor that for cost of production.

N0DIH
01-30-08, 10:44 PM
I have toyed around with the idea of a DMax/Allison A1000 conversion in my 99 Suburban K2500, or maybe even a Cummins 5.9L TD in my Sub.... And then I can do biodiesel. Pricey though, The DMax alone is $6000ish average used.

I have even pondered the idea of making E85 at home... Even E100, gas isn't really NEEDED, E100 runs fine too...

JTraik
01-30-08, 11:49 PM
I have toyed around with the idea of a DMax/Allison A1000 conversion in my 99 Suburban K2500, or maybe even a Cummins 5.9L TD in my Sub.... And then I can do biodiesel. Pricey though, The DMax alone is $6000ish average used.

I have even pondered the idea of making E85 at home... Even E100, gas isn't really NEEDED, E100 runs fine too...

Though it can boast the biggest numbers for non-commercial diesel motors, I think if you look hard you will find some grains of rice in the DMax. Besides, the Cummins 12 Valve will get you low 20's in terms of MPG... with BD, high teens. The 12 Valve is an ALL-mechanical engine, all you technically need is a hand crank to get it started, they are a proven engine in every respect, and they sound sick as hell.

I just want a big work truck I can drive EVERYWHERE without really paying much attention to fuel costs, keep the miles off my Cadillacs.

N0DIH
01-31-08, 10:17 AM
I have seen pictured of a 5.9L Cummins swap in a Suburban like mine, it can be done. Yup, you gotta like the 6 cyl diesel sound.... I was in the Army driving M35A2's a lot (turbo 465 CID diesels with no exhaust!), so I got used to it.... I don't mind, but need to keep it quiet for my wife, this is her daily driver!

Maybe get her a newer burb, convert this one and drive it daily for me! That is what I get mpg wise now.... And I get my 4x4 to get to work and back.... Here in the winter you need it.... Summer the Cad is best... :)

The later 5.9's got EFI and common rail injection, but the older ones are solid mechanical. Keep a good lift pump in the tank and the 5.9's last a LONG LONG time....