: forgot my key in my catera

getrue
01-29-08, 05:26 PM
hi guys. i know its very silly but you know how cateras door lock.i was cleaning windows inside then i mistakenly pushed unlock door button then i got out of car.. now it locked and the key in in the car. i dont know what to do ..any shortcut to fixx this problem.

thanks in advance

yellowxhoodie
01-29-08, 05:34 PM
well you should have more than one key. But judging from your post i guess you dont. Your only other option is probably to slim jim it.

Crown Vic Owner
01-29-08, 05:42 PM
be careful.

disisjc
01-29-08, 06:00 PM
be careful.
What use is this post???
Why should he be careful??

cateraowner
01-29-08, 06:16 PM
well jimmying is pretty difficult, and our cars has some wiring back there, one is to deactivate the alarm if you decide to use your key to get in.

if you don't know how to slim jim a car, anything else wil risk damaging the car... worse case .. tow company, will cost 30-40 bucks..

Crown Vic Owner
01-29-08, 07:49 PM
this why i said be careful.

sccatera97
01-29-08, 09:32 PM
Depending what year your car is, you may be lucky enough to call a GM dealer with your VIN number and they may be able to cut you a valet key ( you know, doors only)

rinverso
01-29-08, 11:06 PM
sorry for your trouble. my wife lost her only key and fob. we called gm, and they would have had to tow it to their location!! i called a good auto locksmith and he was able to syncronize a keyfob from the vin #.
good luck, robert:banghead:
ps this will always prod you to now have an extra key now!!

sccatera97
01-30-08, 10:49 PM
I contacted my local GM parts rep and they can cut a key for any GM 1990 and up. They would have to order the blank but it can be done.

Boris
01-30-08, 11:03 PM
Just so you guys know, these cars have rather crappy door locks.
It's quite easy to open the door with just about anything that you can stick into it.
Just wiggle it around and turn gently, should open right up.

Don't waste your time with a slim jim.

z06bigbird
01-31-08, 08:45 PM
If we cannot decide who should be careful, I will volunteer to be careful first.

LOL