: which exhaust has no drone?

v10boost
01-29-08, 09:28 AM
Hi,

I am now getting ready to start modding my car. My first question is, which exhaust has least or no drone? I am looking for full 3" because, I'll be doing pretty much all the bolt ons parts. Car will remain NA.

thanks

also, i have free car fax for those who needs it.

Dave-V
01-29-08, 09:59 AM
Corsa has no drone but is very quiet. 2.5" is good for 300HP per side so if you are staying NA you don't need 3". B&B sounds the best and Magnaflow is the most cost effective IMO. I have not heard Zoomers or Borla.

Silver Dollar
01-29-08, 10:12 AM
The more agressive the exhaust, the more drone you will get.

Flyboy
01-29-08, 10:17 AM
I had B/B and removed it for the drone. Currently running Corsa without cats, Katech headers. When "cruising" it's nice and quiet. No Drone at all.
However, during WOT. . .above 3000 RPM, it is "ear-splitting" which I really love.

Have Fun.

Naf
01-29-08, 10:22 AM
YOU HAVE TO BE JOKIN CORSA with no Drone....OMG i had two systems...One on a 2005 Hummer and the other on my 2006 Caprice SS...I had to modify both of them to survive the drone...

The SS i put exhaust inserts and resonator. And still i had to take it easy...

I am going to try the Stainless works...They say no drone...Plus gives me space for expansion for more power...I learnt a 2.5" pipe is good for about 300kw 360hp...Anything more and you are pretty much pushin the exhaust system...

Did my research on that...Now the only problem is dronin with the larger exhausts. I tried everything on a tahoe, but failed misrably...Now-a-days i try and keep the interior noise under wraps sacrificin power for comfort. Believe it or not but women dont like loud exhausts where you have to scream to talk to each other...They like BMW hush hush...

Its the harley vs the honda issue...We all want a Harley in our garages but our neighbors wish we had a honda...

rand49er
01-29-08, 10:26 AM
YOU HAVE TO BE JOKIN CORSA with no Drone....OMG i had two systems...One on a 2005 Hummer and the other on my 2006 Caprice SS...Obviously, you didn't have one on a CTS-V, so how can you comment?

Flyboy is absolutely correct ... there's NO DRONE!

Keys8541
01-29-08, 11:22 AM
i just got kooks headers and corsa exhaust installed 2 weeks ago. no drone. and i will second the ear splitting above 3000 rpm.

Bueller
01-29-08, 11:41 AM
I have the B&B 2.5 touring resonator system and there is no drone. Deeper but not much louder than stock. At WOT it is still a bit civilized.

lunarx
01-29-08, 01:50 PM
I have a Corsa and there is no drone but its sick loud above 3K RPM.
Even the idle is rather loud.

Of all the exhausts I heard, I think the B&B w/ resonator has the best sound.
Its civilized but still throaty.
I may be getting one.

I have to admit the Corsa wail is growing on me though. :lildevil:

50 4Ever
01-29-08, 02:09 PM
YOU HAVE TO BE JOKIN CORSA with no Drone

Corsa does not have a drone except at a low RPM in a high gear. The gearing in the CTS-V prevents this since at cruise in 6th you are turning over 2000 RPM. First time I heard the Corsa drone in my Corvette it scared the $&(# out of me, sounded like a Huey was going to land on me, I even stuck my head out the window to see where it was. I was in death valley going up a hill and the traffic slowed down. I was in 6th and the rpm's fell to about 1200, when I got back on the gas I couldn't even hear the radio.

The cars you mentioned probably had automatics, when you get down to 1200 - 1300 rpms you get the drone. But at highway speeds the corsa system is probably quieter than stock.

lunarx
01-29-08, 02:16 PM
.. at highway speeds the corsa system is probably quieter than stock.

I would not go that far.
Corsa is reasonably quiet on highway, untill you punch it.

That 1200 RPM drone must have sounded cool :D

50 4Ever
01-29-08, 02:25 PM
I would not go that far.
Corsa is reasonably quiet on highway, untill you punch it.

That 1200 RPM drone must have sounded cool :D

The Corsa Indys on my Corvette have been measured at 103 db during throttle blips. I know what you mean, they bark when you punch it. But at sustained cruising they are very quiet.

stkshkr
01-29-08, 02:28 PM
No drone on my Corsa

2004ctsv
01-29-08, 10:17 PM
Corsa on the V - no drone from idle to WOT

The only ones claiming a droning noise from a Corsa had it on something other than a V.

When I bought mine in Feb 04, the Corsa exhaust was a GM option.

I didn't decide to get one until we visited the shop in Cleveland. Quality all way round.

1fstkde
01-29-08, 10:30 PM
Obviously, you didn't have one on a CTS-V, so how can you comment?

Flyboy is absolutely correct ... there's NO DRONE! i agree!!

PISNUOFF
01-29-08, 11:49 PM
I have the B&B headers, catted downpipes, resonator and mufflers. There is a drone at about 1300 - 1500 rpms. My V has 400 rwhp and cruising in 6th gear is only annoying between 52 - 56 mph. The look (100% polished) and sound of the B&B system is so incredible that I would trade it for the drone any day of the week. I get asked about it every time I drive it, without fail.

MauiV
01-30-08, 12:34 AM
I have no drone on the Corsas and LOVE to hear them blastin through the high RPMs.

I do 50 miles round trip every day with 99% of it above 70mph in 6th gear running 2100 rpms and it is no different than stock IMO.