: If you have ever thought about buying a Daewoo.....

I~LUV~Caddys8792
01-28-08, 09:27 PM
DON'T!

Earlier tonight, this customer has his '01 Leganza towed in. On the way home from work tonight, the engine made a snap sound, then he heard something like plastic rattling, then the vehicle died and all the warning lights came on. Turns out the timing belt snapped, causing the pistons to hit the valves, in turn bending those...so he's gonna need a new head and all that goes with that....at our pricing, it's about $2950 in parts, and about $1810 in labor....plus taxes and shop supplies...he's looking at a $4950 repair, on a $500 car.

Just thought I'd let ya know....in case anyone was pondering Daewoo ownership. :D

SlxAlxx
01-28-08, 09:43 PM
Oh, darn. I was so close to buying one too.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
01-28-08, 09:45 PM
Oh I just blue booked it. An '01 Leganza, with 108k on the clock, has a $2040 value on trade.

Night Wolf
01-28-08, 09:47 PM
Goes for any vehicle with a timing belt.... actually some with chains reccomend to change them now and again too.

Americans flat out refuse to maintain cars.... drive them till something breaks then complain about it.

It's funny when you read reviews on carsurvey.org, people buy a car that is 5+ years old with 100k miles and complain if they buy it with a problem or when the brakes need to be replaced... it's like, is this what the average American consumer really thinks?

Night Wolf
01-28-08, 09:51 PM
Oh I just blue booked it. An '01 Leganza, with 108k on the clock, has a $2040 value on trade.

108k probably on the origanal timing belt? Can't really blame daewoo, most timing belts are reccomended to be changed 60-90k depending on car.

I replaced the timing belt on the Isuzu at 120k, I'm pretty sure it was the origanal, as it was an Isuzu belt, and the prevoius owners didn't change it, they bought it with 95k. Isuzu recomends 60k, at 120k it wasn't too bad actually shown some wear but no cracks or anything.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
01-28-08, 09:52 PM
Don't get me started on this issue. I could go on for hours.

He bought the car from a big "tent event" held by our corporation at the state fairgrounds in '06. As I'm telling him what we found, I hear his wife say "looks like we got ****ed over by Denny again". Not our fault you didn't heed our advice and replace the timing belt before.

Playdrv4me
01-28-08, 09:56 PM
Well for once that's worse in every possible way than a NS headgasket repair!

But I agree, timing belt failure on any car with an interference engine will do that. And on pretty much any car it's gonna cost about that much.

Ive seen Daewoo Leganzas with 50k on the clock SELLING for 2500.00.

Ranger
01-28-08, 10:06 PM
I'd bet that car will have a date with the crusher very soon.

My_favorite_Brougham
01-28-08, 10:35 PM
I know what you mean, about the ignoramuses. I knew of someone through an acquaintance with a real nice Lexus suv WITH NO TREAD! They just drove it and drove it, never changed the tires, the brakes, the oil....... none of that. Original oil after 60k+ miles on the clock. Brakes sounded horrible, surprised the car didn't blow up, and eventually the one of the tires blew out. I saw her at the tire shop that day, and she was like "I thought cars were supposed to be good for more than three years." Her tags were 2 years old, too! No wonder she never failed inspection; she never had it! IMO she should not have been given a license w/o knowing the BASICS of car maintainance and SAFETY! Not to mention the legal side of expired tags! I mean, who drives a car with 60k miles and original oil???

Ranger
01-28-08, 10:52 PM
I had a neighbor like that. He wore through the brake pad, backing plate and I guess eventually the piston wore through the rotor as he was approaching a toll plaza. He blew that toll. The rotor ended up with an outer ring free floating on the caliper.

Night Wolf
01-28-08, 11:21 PM
People should really be forced to go thru a lengthy auto maintenace course before they get their license... not only is things like checking oil obvious to folks like us, but driving on bald tires is a hazzard to everyone around them... it's really pathetic. Any other sort of driving license that I know of, commercial/industrial etc... they atleast go over checking the vehicle out for condition and whatnot.... but cars? man just turn the key and go.

Don't get me started on this issue. I could go on for hours.

He bought the car from a big "tent event" held by our corporation at the state fairgrounds in '06. As I'm telling him what we found, I hear his wife say "looks like we got ****ed over by Denny again". Not our fault you didn't heed our advice and replace the timing belt before.

Well, you can pretty much bet he/she/they will now go and tell everyone they know about the POS car your dealer sold them and that they will never buy another car from there, and tell their friends never to buy from there etc....

I~LUV~Caddys8792
01-29-08, 12:00 AM
Well, you can pretty much bet he/she/they will now go and tell everyone they know about the POS car your dealer sold them and that they will never buy another car from there, and tell their friends never to buy from there etc....

No doubt, but we (Southview Chevrolet) didn't sell it to them. SVC is a part of a chain of dealers under the Denny Hecker name. About 4x a year, the Denny Hecker group will round up the "best" cars and sell them at these big tent events. That's where this car came from....out in St. Paul...at the State Fairgrounds. So there's no way of telling which specific dealer it came from, so "we're" not to blame, but I'm sure they'll tell everyone they know "oh don't buy from that Denny Hecker....he'll screw you over!"

gdwriter
01-29-08, 12:59 AM
So there's no way of telling which specific dealer it came from, so "we're" not to blame, but I'm sure they'll tell everyone they know "oh don't buy from that Denny Hecker....he'll screw you over!"And that service writer, he's a putz, too! :stirpot:

You know, of course, I'm just yanking your chain. Don't ban me!

eldorado99
01-29-08, 01:07 AM
And that service writer, he's a putz, too! :stirpot:

You know, of course, I'm just yanking your chain. Don't ban me!

Uh oh, I have a feeling you're about to get a Benz emblem someplace not nice. ;)

77CDV
01-29-08, 01:09 AM
Considering his line of work, "putz" is probably one of the nicer things he's been called at work! :)

gdwriter
01-29-08, 01:29 AM
Uh oh, I have a feeling you're about to get a Benz emblem someplace not nice. ;)If I do, it will be well deserved.

AJxtcman
01-29-08, 07:06 AM
GM Daewoo

GM Daewoo Auto & Technology (GM Daewoo or GMDAT)

Badge engineering
GM changed the Daewoo name to something with more prestige in order to increase sales in the local market. GM decided to comply and started selling the Daewoo Lacetti as Chevrolet Optra. This was the first time GM sold re-badged Daewoo cars.

No Daewoo-built vehicles were offered in the US for the 2003 model year. However, Daewoo exports found their way to countries such as Canada, India and the People's Republic of China. In some places of the world (notably Canada, India and Israel) the Daewoo brand did not exist at the time anymore and Daewoo cars were sold as "Chevrolet".

The re-branded Daewoo models sold in Israel succeeded far beyond GM's expectations so the Daewoo re-branding strategy was adopted to other countries as well. In most European countries however, GM retained the Daewoo brand and original model names until December 31, 2004.

GM Daewoo-built vehicles returned to the US market in 2004 and continue to be marketed to this day. The Chevrolet Aveo, Suzuki Verona, Suzuki Forenza and Suzuki Reno, all offered in the US market, are re-badged Daewoos (they are sold in South Korea as the Daewoo Kalos, Magnus, Lacetti sedan, and Lacetti hatchback, respectively).

In 2005, GM branded most Daewoos as Chevrolets in most markets, with Europe starting in January. Exceptions are China (where the cars are rebadged as Buick and Chevrolet), South Korea (GM Daewoo), Vietnam (where Daewoo is retained), Australia and New Zealand (Holden), the United States (Chevrolet, Suzuki), and Canada (Chevrolet, Pontiac, and Suzuki). The intent of utilizing the Chevrolet brand worldwide is to make Chevrolet a global brand of GM. One casualty of this is that the "Nubira" name disappeared in favor of "Lacetti" in the UK, although the "Nubira" sedan remains in the rest of the Europe. A final odd consequence in Europe for 2005 is that the Chevrolet Corvette, which continues to be imported, dropped the Chevrolet name, with "Corvette" becoming the marque.

In areas where GM Daewoo has no official distributors, it is possible to buy the same car under several brand names.

Recent developments
The Daewoo Kalos, which was exported globally as the Chevrolet Aveo, was released in September 2005. The Daewoo Tosca, the Magnus replacement, appeared in early 2006.

The Chevrolet Captiva SUV, based on the Chevrolet S3X concept developed using the GM Theta platform, was released in summer 2006 release. It is also sold in South Korea as Daewoo Winstorm. It feature a common rail Diesel engine for the first time in a Daewoo vehicle, in addition to regular gasoline engines. The engine design is licensed from the Italian engine maker VM Motori.

The current Saturn VUE is made at the Daewoo plant in Korea. At least that is what Bob Putz stated

BigJon
01-29-08, 11:25 PM
not going to lie that really sucks

codewize
01-30-08, 10:03 AM
Oh man I just looked at one yesterday too. :cookoo:

Yeah that's pretty normal. That's called an interference engine. All cars with timing belts spec a scheduled replacement interval. People just don't listen and don't do it.

RunningOnEMT
01-30-08, 10:38 AM
and i was THIS >< close to trading in my V on a used '01 leganza

darn

I~LUV~Caddys8792
01-30-08, 10:49 AM
I must have not made my point clear enough.....it's not the fact that they snap the timing belt and damage the valves....most DOHC engines are of the interference type. The only difference between "most other cars" and a Daewoo is atleast most other cars are worth spending the money to have the problem fixed. :)

caddycruiser
01-30-08, 03:07 PM
The current Saturn VUE is made at the Daewoo plant in Korea. At least that is what Bob Putz stated

No it isn't. There's many brands that the similar vehicle is sold under globally, and that happens to be one version for that area.

Though they never made it far, Daewoo actually wasn't too far off from Kia/Hyundai which are doing extremely well, and are mostly impressive in terms of products.

This here...yet again...a case of stupid owner. Kind of falls into the category of not changing oil, because "huh? you don't have to do that." Not a guarantee, but that's what it sounds like, and now will end up in the morons blaming it on the dealer or whoever else.

I must have not made my point clear enough.....it's not the fact that they snap the timing belt and damage the valves....most DOHC engines are of the interference type. The only difference between "most other cars" and a Daewoo is atleast most other cars are worth spending the money to have the problem fixed. :)

Dead on, and it happens. Most people who are Honda addicts, for instance, are very used to their 100K timing belt/water pump changes, and there's rarely ever an issue. But issues do occasionally pop up, and when it's a Daewoo...well, you can't expect much.

Actually, this whole thread made me think back to when they launched here. I still have the C&D mag with all of the new Daewoo's in it and details on how they were going to use college kids as their main marketing and sales force. Didn't work, and the cars have been forgotten...but they ARE still out there.

Many people who buy new Chevy Aveo's don't even know that's what it is, but they enjoy the little cars regardless. I have an older friend who's a teacher and always leases one "nice" vehicle and bought an '04 Aveo years ago for his daily commuter. He's had a wide range of vehicles of all grades, and loves the little thing.

Playdrv4me
01-30-08, 04:25 PM
Funny you mention that. I ran into an old man in the parking lot of the bank one day that was getting into his newish Aveo. He got out of the way so I could pull my navigator in.

He then started to inquire about how my fuel economy was, how I liked the comfort, and all kinds of questions. Turns out the Aveo is his commuter for fuel economy purposes, and his wife drives their Escalade. Plus, the reason he was asking me so many questions is because his DAUGHTER who is graduating college, wants a brand new Navigator... AS A GRADUATION PRESENT. So he's been trying to convince her to get an Escalade instead, which I told him as far as apples to apples 07 to 07, the Escalade is the far better truck.

But he seemed to really enjoy his Aveo either way.