: symptoms of bolt failure/lifted heads

Shibby_CBS
01-28-08, 06:52 PM
so i looked through the forum for a while and couldnt really find what i need...im trying to find out what the symptoms of a bolt failure or lifted heads would...how would the car act with a problem like this...besides the loss of coolant of corse...thanks

Ranger
01-28-08, 08:38 PM
Overheating.

Shibby_CBS
01-28-08, 08:47 PM
would the engine run rough at all

CadillacSTS42005
01-28-08, 09:22 PM
YES
beaten to death man
look like not even four posts down for some info
a simple search would render more posts then days in a year

Ranger
01-28-08, 09:37 PM
would the engine run rough at all
Probably not at first, but eventually it will on start up and get progressively worse.

JC316
01-28-08, 10:12 PM
YES
beaten to death man
look like not even four posts down for some info
a simple search would render more posts then days in a year

Are you always this unhelpful? Seems like your answer to every post is to use the search function.

Original Poster:

The symptoms would be:

1. Loss of coolant

2. Overheating

3. White smoke out the tailpipe with a sickly sweet smell to it

4. Rough engine.

CadillacSTS42005
01-28-08, 10:44 PM
when theres a post not even 2 posts down covering the same thing then yea i can be

Shibby_CBS
01-29-08, 03:48 AM
why would i search 5 pages of another post to maybe find bits and pieces of what im looking for when i can just ask and let people answer when they get the chance...im not making them reply...maybe you would have been better off not posting at all in this thread...and that thing you call a search function has never helped me in the past so why should it now...and yes i tried it i got nothing..im sure i would have found SOME info if i would have spent an hour looking...thanks anyways...the reason im asking is because the dealer is tellin me i have lifted heads and a leaking crossover pipe but the car runs perfectly fine...no overheating whatsoever (when the coolant level is ok)...no smoking out of the pipes or sweet smell either...all that im seeing is coolant loss and i can smell coolant in the engine bay...im guessing from the leak in the crossover...ive never trusted dealers in the past and common sense tells me not to trust them now...they were a little too quick to tell me i need a whole new engine...they also said a timesert wouldnt hold cause the block is too weak...it just seems a little far fetched for so few simptoms...what do you guys think?

acklac7
01-29-08, 04:39 AM
I see your from Columbus, what dealership are you at? Well wait...I guess there's only one dealership there now...Germain right?

Anyhow I wouldn't trust Crestview Cadillac (AKA Germain Cadillac on Sawmill) to work on a baby-stroller, let alone a Cadillac. I've had more than a few issues regarding there service. Did they offer you to trade it in on a new car yet? Thats the 1st thing they told me after I rumbled "i'll sell it before I get that job done"....."Ohhhh NO! Don't sell it...Trade it in on a new Caddy!" (sounded like he had the line down cold, as if he'd said it to 20 other ppl that week).

Honestly I would tell them "thanks, but no thanks" and pay the nominal diagnostic fee. Then take it home and dianose it yourself....If your car is at the one on Sawmill expect to get a response that goes something like this "Ok you can take it home, but there's a good chance it's going to blow up on you while your driving on the freeway and cause a massive fire...Your taking your life in your own hands". Ok maybe not that extreme but in all likelyhood there going to feed you a massive line of BS in order to scare you into getting the job done. While it may infact need to be done I would hold off for now and take time to diagnose it yourself.

And In regards to the hole "timesert won't hold" tidbit....udder lies! As I recall the only positive way to discount the timesert procedure is by looking into the threads themselves (once they have the heads off). Simply stating "they won't hold" is a bunch of crap...They timeserted mine under aftermarket warranty (after litterally 2 weeks of BS/lies) and it's still running strong 6 years/60,000 later (Assuming of course that they actully did the work and didn't just swap my Engine out with a junker... wouldn't put it past em')...How much do they want to swap your engine out btw? $5000+?

Ranger
01-29-08, 11:39 AM
If you are smelling coolant under the hood, there is a good chance that it is an external leak and not head gaskets. Have the cooling system pressurized at a radiator shop. If it is an external leak, it will eventually show itself. If you suspect a head gasket, you can get a test kit and test the coolant for exhaust gases. Radiator shop should be able to do that as well.

Shibby_CBS
01-29-08, 01:09 PM
yea you pretty much hit it right on the head...when i went to pick it up the first time they told me not to drive it at all because it could completly blow the engine...so i just left it for a couple more days...i picked it up yesterday...at first the hot girl at the cashiers counter wasnt gonna charge me at all because of a mistake with the invoice...they ended up calling the guy who messed with my car and they ended up charging me like 50 bucks...better than the 100 they quoted me at first...anyway after they looked at it they recommended replacing the engine for a used one with 69,000 on it for $5,500 and a brand new one with 100,000 mile warranty for like 9 somethin...i drove it home just fine yesterday from germain...topped it off with some coolant from the shop and drove off...started up and ran perfect...drove to my apartment on henderson about 4 miles away no problems at all...later i ended up driving the car around for about 20 min to get it up to normal operating temps and the engine temp rose to half the gauge like normal and stopped and held there...seems to me like as long as the coolant is filled the car runs perfect...i checked the coolant level after the drive and i had not lost any at all...i checked this morning and the coolant level was down about a half inch...i figured if i had a headgasket or bolt failure it would be acting up way more than that...i would guess its just the crossover pipe...the dealers had said that it was leaking

dkozloski
01-29-08, 01:31 PM
why would i search 5 pages of another post to maybe find bits and pieces of what im looking for when i can just ask and let people answer when they get the chance...im not making them reply...maybe you would have been better off not posting at all in this thread...and that thing you call a search function has never helped me in the past so why should it now...and yes i tried it i got nothing..im sure i would have found SOME info if i would have spent an hour looking...thanks anyways...the reason im asking is because the dealer is tellin me i have lifted heads and a leaking crossover pipe but the car runs perfectly fine...no overheating whatsoever (when the coolant level is ok)...no smoking out of the pipes or sweet smell either...all that im seeing is coolant loss and i can smell coolant in the engine bay...im guessing from the leak in the crossover...ive never trusted dealers in the past and common sense tells me not to trust them now...they were a little too quick to tell me i need a whole new engine...they also said a timesert wouldnt hold cause the block is too weak...it just seems a little far fetched for so few simptoms...what do you guys think?
Guys that have been around a while have seen the same question asked over and over until it gets old. Sometimes we forget that newcomers may not be familiar enough with the search function for it to be useful. There are a multitude of guys around here that have successfully repaired their head gasket problems and I'm sure you can too. Try to help yourself as much as you can and we'll be here to get you beyond the tough spots.

acklac7
01-29-08, 01:47 PM
yea you pretty much hit it right on the head...when i went to pick it up the first time they told me not to drive it at all because it could completly blow the engine...so i just left it for a couple more days...i picked it up yesterday...at first the hot girl at the cashiers counter wasnt gonna charge me at all because of a mistake with the invoice...they ended up calling the guy who messed with my car and they ended up charging me like 50 bucks...better than the 100 they quoted me at first...anyway after they looked at it they recommended replacing the engine for a used one with 69,000 on it for $5,500 and a brand new one with 100,000 mile warranty for like 9 somethin...i drove it home just fine yesterday from germain...topped it off with some coolant from the shop and drove off...started up and ran perfect...drove to my apartment on henderson about 4 miles away no problems at all...later i ended up driving the car around for about 20 min to get it up to normal operating temps and the engine temp rose to half the gauge like normal and stopped and held there...seems to me like as long as the coolant is filled the car runs perfect...i checked the coolant level after the drive and i had not lost any at all...i checked this morning and the coolant level was down about a half inch...i figured if i had a headgasket or bolt failure it would be acting up way more than that...i would guess its just the crossover pipe...the dealers had said that it was leaking

Haha...Good ol' Crestview Cadillac: no signs of overheating, runs like a champ yet "you shouldn't drive it because the engine might blow"...This is how Cadillac's (N*'s) get a bad name folks.

Anyway a I would start by renting a coolant pressurizer (in addition to the exhaust test kit) from autozone. Pressurize the coolant system to (17?)psi and then look for leaks.

If you do end up having a lifted head/bad gasket I know a great guy on the southside who will sell & install a used N* for $1500...Let me know if your interested.

Shibby_CBS
01-29-08, 04:09 PM
well i had it pressure tested and it held pressure just fine...so looks like its going somewhere else...now what

Ranger
01-29-08, 05:06 PM
well i had it pressure tested and it held pressure just fine
How long did it hold pressure for? Sometimes if it is a slow or hidden leak, you may have to leave it pressurized for a few hours for the leak to show.

Shibby_CBS
01-29-08, 06:55 PM
i took it to a place to have it done...i think they did it for about 20 min...either way it looks like the place i vought the car from is gonna pay for at least part of it and they are doing the work so i took it over there today...they are gonna take a look at the heads themselves

acklac7
01-29-08, 07:23 PM
they are gonna take a look at the heads themselves

EEEK!...Most of us tend to get nervous when inexperienced individuals/dealerships "take a look at the heads". Whenever the bolts are removed timeserts should be installed regardless of whether or not there is any damage to the threads/gaskets. Failure to do so will more than likely result in damage to the block when you go to torque the head bolts down, or shortly thereafter. Also make sure they are going to guarantee there work for 12 months, if they won't something is likely up and your probably in for a long year...

zonie77
01-29-08, 11:09 PM
If they did a cooling system check they put about 15psi on it. That won't show it. A cyl pressure test is needed. 100+ PSI on the cylinder. Due to the N*s unique design even that may not show a leak in the very early stages. Under load the cyl pressure can be over 1000PSI, so 100 psi is not a lot.

An exhaust byproduct test with used coolant in the surge tank is good. Fresh coolant gives a false negative.

Ranger
01-29-08, 11:19 PM
Zonie is right. When I suggested a cooling system pressure check, that was to locate a cooling system leak, not a head gasket problem. Hope no one misunderstood that.

CadillacSTS42005
01-29-08, 11:22 PM

i wouldnt call a post asking the same ? and containing the same answers your getting here right now wouldnt be you finding only bits and pieces....

either way from someone whos had one:
rough cold starts
smoke from tail pipes
coolant smell from pipes
mysterious coolant loss without any traces
and the top way OVERHEATING