: 2000 DeVille Overheating Update

ChitowneCaddy
01-28-08, 01:43 PM
I changed the thermostat, old one was bad, it didn't budge when I put in hot water. The car still overheats. My mechanic told me to add 3qts of radiator flush to the system and run it for a couple of days he told me he had seen this problem before and a clogged radiator was the problem. I added the flush last night.
I put the car on the road this morning and now it overheated and high revs would not cool down. I think that the flush loosened up more gunk and that debris has moved to the clog point in the radiator and just completed clogged it.
I'm going to get a flush and see if that will push the clog open.
If not i will have to get a new radiator.

Ranger
01-28-08, 06:38 PM
Have you checked the purge line?

ChitowneCaddy
01-29-08, 12:55 PM
Purge line is clear. Getting it flushed today.

ChitowneCaddy
01-29-08, 05:22 PM
had the system flushed, over 12 qts of coolant was exchanged. Car still over heats. This mechanic said that the head gaskets seem ok.

How many qts of coolant should this car take. Is it a possibility that the radiator is still the most possible problem.

Had thermostat changed and now the system power flushed.

zonie77
01-29-08, 06:00 PM
What has your mechanic done to diagnose the HG's ? If nothing, or if he says it runs too good and there's no coolant in the oil you NEED an new mechanic!

zonie77
01-29-08, 06:03 PM
Oh yeah, I'm not saying it's HG...I'm saying you have to do proper diagnosis. Don't waste time and money shotgunning.

ChitowneCaddy
01-29-08, 06:05 PM
I need to make sure that I know what the purge line is... That is the line that comes from the fill cap opening, hanging down the side of the reservoir.... correct?

JimD
01-29-08, 06:27 PM
I need to make sure that I know what the purge line is... That is the line that comes from the fill cap opening, hanging down the side of the reservoir.... correct?No.

One end of the "purge" line is connected to a hollow bolt above the water pump and the other end connects to the reservoir (near the top).

ChitowneCaddy
01-29-08, 06:29 PM
Thanks

Ranger
01-29-08, 07:57 PM
I need to make sure that I know what the purge line is... That is the line that comes from the fill cap opening, hanging down the side of the reservoir.... correct?
No, that is the overflow line. Jim described the purge line.