: B&B exhaust tabs..help

Dean400hp
01-28-08, 11:14 AM
anyone run into the problem of rubber stoppers breaking away from tabs that hold pipes to frame of car ?

Dean

jpoole
01-28-08, 01:00 PM
Happened to me. I emailed B&B and they shipped some more out to me.

mooreman6
01-28-08, 02:47 PM
I recently installed the B&B system on my 05-V. The original GM exhaust does not mount to the car, the rear hangers hold the weight of the system up. I was wondering if the same could be done for the B&B, although I have not tried (I have the rubber mounts also). I realize the GM system is one-piece, and the B&B is several pieces held together by bolts, etc. My thoughts are that the rubber mounts may be transmitting some amount of noise or vibration into the cabin. Anyone tried running without the mounts?

Bueller
01-28-08, 03:02 PM
HMMM. I bought my B&B used and slid the muffler tabs into the stock rubber hangers. It didn't come with any other rear mounts other than what is welded to the muffler. No problems here.

keithsm2
01-28-08, 03:35 PM
anyone have a loud resonance or drone in 6th gear between 50 and 60 mph???

I end up using 5th gear more.....maybe the mounting could be changed??

heavymetals
01-28-08, 04:15 PM
anyone have a loud resonance or drone in 6th gear between 50 and 60 mph???

I end up using 5th gear more.....maybe the mounting could be changed??

I don't use 6th until I am at 62 as the drone when adding gas at that speed is a little objectionable.

mooreman6
01-28-08, 04:17 PM
Bueller, the mufflers do mount to the existing rear rubber hangers. The resonator has a hanger molded to it that screw into the belly of the car where the original piece of aluminum with two bolts went. That piece was about 12 inches wide. Also, Keithsm2, I have the drone in 6th around 50mph or so.

Crawler
01-28-08, 10:45 PM
I wouldn't worry about the drone at 50 in 6th. I'd worry about the fuel mileage.

I don't know about your V but mine better be at 55 or better to use 6th. Otherwise my mileage tanks.

~WS~

PISNUOFF
01-29-08, 12:55 AM
I have the drone also. It really coincides with about 1500 rpm's more than any distinct vehicle speed. I was thinking about sound deadening the trunk area and under the rear seat. Has anyone else done this, and did it help any?

GMBOUND
01-29-08, 03:03 AM
I wouldn't worry about the drone at 50 in 6th. I'd worry about the fuel mileage.

I don't know about your V but mine better be at 55 or better to use 6th. Otherwise my mileage tanks.

~WS~
I jump into 6th while obeying the 40MPH speed limit while in the residential area before I make it to the freeway.

I thought I was saving gas by keeping my RPMs down.

I have the drone also. It really coincides with about 1500 rpm's more than any distinct vehicle speed. I was thinking about sound deadening the trunk area and under the rear seat. Has anyone else done this, and did it help any?
Trunk, Self panel and just under the rear seat is sound deadened. Makes a difference but not much.

anyone run into the problem of rubber stoppers breaking away from tabs that hold pipes to frame of car ?

Dean
NO

keithsm2
01-29-08, 08:58 AM
I checked my instant mileage at 60 mph...between 5th and 6th gear........6th gear provided the best mileage....by 3 or 4 mpg at least..

Dean400hp
01-29-08, 09:43 AM
I talked to B&B and they are sending me new ones...great guys!
Only problem is I screwed a bolt in there temporarily and it freak'n snapped!
can the dealer get it out and still be able to put correct threading in frame part?

Crawler
01-29-08, 10:23 AM
I checked my instant mileage at 60 mph...between 5th and 6th gear........6th gear provided the best mileage....by 3 or 4 mpg at least..

Mine was exactly the opposite.

Maybe it has to do with LS2 vs LS6.

??

~WS~

atdeneve
01-29-08, 11:31 AM
Dude, check it again. Regardless of vehicle/engine/fuel/whatever, you'll always get better gas mileage when coasting in a higher gear, at any given speed.

Try this. Hop on a bike and pedal for a mile in 1st gear. Now do it again, but in the highest gear. Which one was easier? Yup. So, which one do you think expended more fuel. There you go. With the amount of energy you spent pedaling for one mile in first gear, you could have probably gone ten miles in the highest gear, without breaking a sweat.

Bueller
01-29-08, 11:59 AM
Bueller, the mufflers do mount to the existing rear rubber hangers. The resonator has a hanger molded to it that screw into the belly of the car where the original piece of aluminum with two bolts went. That piece was about 12 inches wide. Also, Keithsm2, I have the drone in 6th around 50mph or so.

Gotcha,

Mine has a different setup at the resonator, I got it used. I know it didn't come with this mount. It is a rubber mount with a threaded bolt out of both sides. This screws into the stock location and has a rubber bushing between the tabs with a nut holding it on the other side. Like a 2 sided threaded rod with a rubber center. Works well and allows a bit of movement like the muffler hangers.

I have the 2.5" touring and no drone but it is kinda quiet all the time, just deeper than stock.

As for 6th when going slow, I think your mileage would be worse too. Try the same bicycle test when going very slow. Go a mile at 1 mph in low gear, then go the same mile in top gear when it is very hard to turn to start off, and continue at low speed. Keep going slow and your legs will kill after that mile in top gear, and you barely have to put any effort into getting it to crank over in low gear, although it goes around many more times. Lugging the motor is not efficient.

atdeneve
01-29-08, 12:54 PM
As for 6th when going slow, I think your mileage would be worse too. Try the same bicycle test when going very slow. Go a mile at 1 mph in low gear, then go the same mile in top gear when it is very hard to turn to start off, and continue at low speed. Keep going slow and your legs will kill after that mile in top gear, and you barely have to put any effort into getting it to crank over in low gear, although it goes around many more times. Lugging the motor is not efficient.

C'mon, do you really think I'm talkin about situations where you would have to lug the motor? Dude was talkin about 6th gear at only 55 mph or above. Hardly lugging.

~WS~

Carnalsupply
01-29-08, 05:39 PM
I've got B&B on my car as well and it did not have any brackets just aft of the X-pipe, so I had some installed, and wouldn't you know it they broke! I just had new rubber bushings and brackets installed, as well as pulled the driver side pipe away from the floor and the system is noticeably quieter.
Yes, there is a definite drone but I'm either dumb or deaf (or both) because it doesn't bother me in the least.

GMBOUND
01-29-08, 11:11 PM
I have a 2.5 mile drive behind folks who refuse to go a mile over 40mph, so I put that baby in 6th gear and ride it out. Depending on which way I'm going it's a free roll anyways due to the many hills.
With no one in front of me, I can do a quick launch to 60 then coast all the way home!

Crawler
01-30-08, 01:00 AM
I agree with most of the above. Also I understand all of the physics behind it.

However in my car 48-54MPH in 6th just doesnt work well.

Maybe its just a bad RPM for the motor. I don't know.

45mph you can cruise 6th just fine. (I don't because that RPM is so low it makes me uncomfortable.)
55MPH I can cruise 6th
In between= no bueno

~WS~

GMBOUND
01-30-08, 04:19 AM
UR in DFW, you can't cruise anyways for all the damn Stop & Go traffic.