: Music Downloads Now Free and Legal

gothicaleigh
01-28-08, 07:37 AM
From now on, all music is free.

http://entertainment.timesonline.co....cle3261591.ece

After a decade fighting to stop illegal file-sharing, the music industry will give fans today what they have always wanted: an unlimited supply of free and legal songs.

With CD sales in free fall and legal downloads yet to fill the gap, the music industry has reluctantly embraced the file-sharing technology that threatened to destroy it. Qtrax, a digital service announced today, promises a catalogue of more than 25 million songs that users can download to keep, free and with no limit on the number of tracks.

The service has been endorsed by the very same record companies - including EMI, Universal Music and Warner Music – that have chased file-sharers through the courts in a doomed attempt to prevent piracy. The gamble is that fans will put up with a limited amount of advertising around the Qtrax website’s jukebox in return for authorised use of almost every song available.

The service will use the “peer-to-peer” network, which contains not just hit songs but rarities and live tracks from the world’s leading artists.

Nor is a lack of compatibility with the iPod player expected to put fans off. Apple is unlikely to allow tracks downloaded from its rival to be compatible with iPods, but, while the iPod is the most popular music player, it has not succeeded in dominating the market: sales of the iPod account for 50 million out of 130 million total digital player sales. Qtrax has also spoken of an “iPod solution”, to be announced in April.

Qtrax files contain Digital Rights Management software, allowing the company to see how many times a song has been downloaded and played. Artists, record companies and publishers will be paid in proportion to the popularity of their music, while also taking a cut of advertising revenues.

The Qtrax team, which spent five years working on the system, promised a “game-changing” intervention in the declining recorded music market when the service was presented at the Midem music industry convention in Cannes.

The singer James Blunt gave Qtrax a cautious welcome. “I’m amazed that we now accept that people steal music,” he said. “I was taught not to steal sweets from a sweet shop. But I want to learn how this service works, given the condition the music industry is in.”

Qtrax, a subsidiary of Brilliant Technologies Corporation, has raised $30 million (£15 million) to set up the service, which is available in the US and Europe from today. Allan Klepfisz, president of Qtrax, said: “Customers now expect music to be free but they do not want to use illegal sites. We believe this . . . has the support of the music industry and allows artists to get paid.”

Ford, McDonald’s and Microsoft are among the advertisers signed up to support what is thought to be the world’s largest legal music store. The service says that adverts will be nonintrusive and will not appear each time a song is played. As with iTunes, customers will have to download Qtrax software. They will own the songs permanently but will be encouraged to “dock” their player with the store every 30 days so it can gather information on which songs have been played.

Jean-Bernard Levy, chief executive of Vivendi Universal, said the crisis in the music industry had been overstated despite EMI’s radical cost-cutting. He said: “Look at Universal – we have double-digit profit margins. But we would like strong competition from the other major record companies to help the industry grow.” Universal has poached the Rolling Stones from EMI and Mr Levy said that others could follow as thousands of staff and artists are made redundant.

On the appearance of Qtrax, Mr Levy gave warning that the lack of compatibility between competing digital music players was as big a problem as file-sharing. And Paul McGuinness, the manager of U2, said that the sound quality of MP3 downloads was becoming an issue for bands and fans. “There is a growing consumer revolt against online audio quality,” he said.

It begins at midnight tonight:
http://www.qtrax.com/

urbanski
01-28-08, 08:17 AM
installed, waiting. DRM can be a bitch, we'll see how it integrates w/ Ipods

gothicaleigh
01-28-08, 08:26 AM
installed, waiting. DRM can be a bitch, we'll see how it integrates w/ Ipods

It doesn't yet (sorry, I should have noted that in the first post), but they're working on it (Apple doesn't seem too eager to assist a competitor that will lay waste to their iTunes store).

...but still, after the birthing pains this looks like the best possible solution for all parties involved. The artists get paid and the general populace receives music for free legally.

SvB4EvA
01-28-08, 08:55 AM
You think this is gonna hold up?

gothicaleigh
01-28-08, 09:07 AM
You think this is gonna hold up?

As long as they do not overly restrict what you do with the songs you download (Sony's ATRAC comes to mind) and the ads are not obnoxiously painful to bear, then yes, I see this as the future of music distribution.

Guess we will find out at midnight. :)

SvB4EvA
01-28-08, 09:15 AM
Guess we will find out at midnight. :)

lol yea.... that site is already being pounded, the servers are going to croak.

Brizzal
01-28-08, 10:36 AM
the site is slowwwwwwwwwww lol

urbanski
01-28-08, 10:39 AM
yup, very slow, but i did see some obscure songs there so the selection may be pretty good. need to see what bitrate they are.

CadillacSTS42005
01-28-08, 12:49 PM
how can it NOT work with ipod
if you dl them in mp3 format cant you just add them to your itunes and update your ipod?!??!?

Lord Cadillac
01-28-08, 01:11 PM
CAN you download them in mp3 format?

urbanski
01-28-08, 01:29 PM
i'm tellin you, DRM is a bitch. i'll poke around with it later

HITMONEY
01-28-08, 02:41 PM
It will only be a matter of days, if not hours before someone figures out how to rip out the DRM and vert it to a clean mp3.

CadillacSTS42005
01-28-08, 03:08 PM
seriously
it has to be an MP3 format when they instill the songs and then converted to the DRM right?

blue07cts
01-28-08, 03:13 PM
how did some of you guys DL it? it's telling me it won't be available till midnight. or did i miss somthing?

HITMONEY
01-28-08, 03:21 PM
seriously
it has to be an MP3 format when they instill the songs and then converted to the DRM right?

DRM doesn't necessarily mean it won't be mp3. It is a piggy back encoding that is built into the original code.

eldorado99
01-28-08, 03:35 PM
This could be the next big thing... It will be interesting to see how this pans out. I really hope they don't screw it up like they always do.

dwight.j.carter
01-28-08, 03:40 PM
That's pretty sweet I will download it and give it a try.

Playdrv4me
01-28-08, 05:33 PM
It's vaporware for now. None of the major labels have reportedly signed on for this...

http://www.alleyinsider.com/2008/01/sonybmg-we-dont-have-a-qtrax-deal-either.html

Also, I don't know how anyone downloaded it, most people are reporting its been saying "Download at Midnight" for several midnights in a row.

Benzilla
01-28-08, 06:59 PM
...What's wrong with Limewire?

HITMONEY
01-28-08, 07:18 PM
...What's wrong with Limewire?

Beside the exposure to all the internet STD's and winding up in court fighting the RIAA.

Nothing.

I've seen more computers messed up because of limewire than any other single piece of software... even AOL.

dwight.j.carter
01-28-08, 07:22 PM
yeah limewire is bad unless you can tell what not to download. I am able to decipher for the most part what's good and what isn't but for the most part it's a crapshoot.

Benzilla
01-28-08, 07:28 PM
It's not that bad, just be careful. I've used it for two years and it's never harmed my computer. Just ake sure you don't download anything that looks odd like a "song" with a filesize of 157 kb...

Playdrv4me
01-28-08, 07:46 PM
Same goes for Shareaza or any of the other P2Ps.

nikon
01-28-08, 09:12 PM
good luck to them....might be good for the masses for a while...just more spyware crap...I'll stick to ares and azureus.

gary88
01-28-08, 09:24 PM
Torrents > Limewire

Brizzal
01-28-08, 11:41 PM
Torrents > Limewire

x2 :lildevil:

SvB4EvA
01-29-08, 06:32 AM
Torrents > Limewire

DING! :yup::yup::yup:

gothicaleigh
01-29-08, 01:30 PM
It's vaporware for now. None of the major labels have reportedly signed on for this...

http://www.alleyinsider.com/2008/01/sonybmg-we-dont-have-a-qtrax-deal-either.html

Also, I don't know how anyone downloaded it, most people are reporting its been saying "Download at Midnight" for several midnights in a row.

I downloaded it this morning before I left for work, so "vaporware" is a bit strong. They've completed their end, now they need to get everyone on board.

*EDIT* You can load up the software and make an account, but no downloads yet:
http://www.alleyinsider.com/2008/01/qtrax-were-launchingsomeday.html

Playdrv4me
01-29-08, 01:38 PM
I'm certainly not denying the application exists, but until the core of what they are promising... i.e. FREE MUSIC DOWNLOADS comes to ACTUAL fruition 'Leigh, I'm gonna call it vaporware, as I have absolutely no use for another piece of audio software.

It was pretty unprecedented and semi-irresponsible of them to draw such a vast amount of media attention to something that had no finalized business agreements with the entities that are supposed to be PROVIDING the said content.

HITMONEY
01-29-08, 06:13 PM
:bsflag:

gothicaleigh
01-29-08, 08:53 PM
Damn QTrax.

http://116.photobucket.com/albums/b36/Advent_Nebula/fail.gif

:( :( :( :( :(

thebigjimsho
01-29-08, 08:59 PM
poop. wha happen?